Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Safety » Bracket for fire system pull?

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Bracket for fire system pull?
Mark McCallister Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Just graduated from novice to rookie!!

Region: Central Florida
Car #: 40
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mark McCallister     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'd like to mount a right-side fire pull for corner workers right here:

-

Does anyone sell a bracket to facilitate this?

Thanks!

Jason Brassfield Verified Driver

Region: oregon
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jason Brassfield     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I have been looking to do the exact same thing, take a look at this http://www.carshopinc.com/product_info.php/products_id/74620/10221 I used this kit for my window net mounting, the two piece bracket is fully adjustable. Not the highest quality piece, I was dissapointed with the fit/finish, but I think it would work. There are two sizes p/n 10221 & 10222. I don't remember which is which now, just a heads up.

-Jason

Gatoratty Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Car #: 3
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I mounted my SPA second pull in the same location. You don't have to buy a special bracket or spend $41 on a clamp. Go to Home depot and buy a steel "L" bracket used for reinforcing wood corners. Drill out the hole for the pull, use the nut on the pull to hold the pull to the bracket and attach the bracket with either a steel radiator hose clamp or weld it to the cage. If you want me to I can take a photo of mine tomorrow while I am replacing my fuel pump.

--------------------
Paul McLester

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mark McCallister     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thanks Paul, excellent idea! Photos are always good!

While we're on the topic, the only thing I'm not real keen on on the SPA system is the bracket that holds the tank down. There is no metal between the ring that you bolt to the floor and the band clamps that go around the tank. I'm sure it's strong plastic, but 15 lbs. tank X 25G's in a crash = 375 lbs. to hold down. I was thinking of cris-crossing the tank with some additional metal strap bolted to the floor. If anyone has an install they're particularly proud of, please post pics! :-)

Thanks,
-Mark

CP Verified Driver

Region: NER
Car #: 7
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for CP   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I was thinking about doing the same thing with my steel SPA tank. Those bands are thin/flimsy and not very tight. Let is know how you do it so that we can copy. Thanks.

--------------------
-Cy
Supported by LTD Racing & Speed Shack - New England's Premier Auto Accessory Store
Rt1 AutoMile - Norwood, MA
http://www.speedshackonline.com

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Photos of my 2nd pull
http://s573.photobucket.com/albums/ss175/gatoratty/Sp...stem/?albumview=slideshow

--------------------
Paul McLester

spdmonkey Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: OVR
Car #: 08
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for spdmonkey     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

For the tank you might want to look into a couple of the stainless steel bands that are featured in the new issue of SportsCar on page 18.

db

l8tbreakr

Car #: 17
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for l8tbreakr     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

why not just weld on a small piece of angle iron to the cage? Then you could have the angle you like, minimal amount of mateial and could paint to match. Of course mine isn't that sweet LOL but I like to think of stuff like this but never the nads to weld stuff to my cage. A pro welder could tho. GL with your mounting.

--------------------
-----------
AJ Goldsmith
Westborough, MA

I was too chicken to try and weld it to the cage. I will probably do that next.

--------------------
Paul McLester

TR6

Region: Southwest
Car #: 500
Year : 2002
Icon 1 posted  Profile for TR6     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Somewhat related question: How do you guys "test" your pulls to ensure that they will actually work when you need them to? Remove the compressed gas cartridge and then pull it? I had my ESS installed for me by a race shop and have always wondered if/when I need to pull that handle that something is really going to come out of the nozzles. I don't want to mess around with the cartridge without knowing what I'm doing and accidentally fill my car and engine bay with foam. But on the other hand, it would be nice to confirm that the pull really actuates the system.

--------------------
Greg H.
2002 red Miata #500
Denton, Texas

wheel Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: kc
Car #: 20
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for wheel     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Paul,
You might think about rounding off those sharp corners, before you weld it on, or even if you leave it the way it is.
wheel

Will round the corners tonight! Good idea.

--------------------
Paul McLester

wheel Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: kc
Car #: 20
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for wheel     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Here's a pretty slick system. Billet aluminum.
wheel

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/All-In-One-Accessory-Clamps,42491.html

SpeedRacer Verified Driver

Region: Cal Club
Car #: 00
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for SpeedRacer     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The plastic SPA mounting tray can fail in a crash. I talked to SPA salesperson at SEMA and told him of my experience, and he indicated there was no better system in the works as far as he knew. I am still looking for better mounting solution and won't put tank in car until I figure out a better mounting system.

--------------------
James Irey
SM 00

CP Verified Driver

Car #: 7
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for CP   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by spdmonkey:
For the tank you might want to look into a couple of the stainless steel bands that are featured in the new issue of SportsCar on page 18.

The website listed is horrid. I couldn't find them.

I'm thinking about using some of that 1" corner metal mentioned above for my bottle straps. I'm thinking drill some holes in the floor and run some bolts through the "straps" and I've got a much more sturdy mount than that plastic tray.

--------------------
-Cy
Supported by LTD Racing & Speed Shack - New England's Premier Auto Accessory Store
Rt1 AutoMile - Norwood, MA
http://www.speedshackonline.com

Ok, I have solved this problem, to my satisfaction anyway.

Took Paul's idea of the hurricane strap for the pull, and got an even bigger hurricane strap which I cut to fit and wrapped. Has almost the perfect angle, and you could lift the car with it:

-

-

-

More interestingly, I designed and had fabricated a bracket for the SPA tank, which I feel VERY confident about. No more plastic! You can copy the design, or the welding shop that welded this up is interested in making more if folks are interested in a group buy. PM me if you're interested.

-

-

-

-

-

Nice job! Leave it to a Gator to solve the problem!

--------------------
Paul McLester

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: