Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Safety » Nomex affected by UV?

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Nomex affected by UV?
Vick Verified Driver
Do they sell spec training wheels?

Region: NYR
Car #: 12
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Vick     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Was doing the racing laundry today, and noticed that on my nomex long sleeve shirt there is some discoloring on the arms which are usually exposed below the short sleeve T I wear over the nomex.

Anyone know if Nomex is affected by UV? The stuff I have is kind of no-name....medalist I think.

--------------------
http://www.volko.com

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Yes. UV degrades nomex

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Vick Verified Driver
Do they sell spec training wheels?

Region: NYR
Car #: 12
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Vick     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

ok, if things start to change color, should I swap out for a new shirt or this is no big deal?

--------------------
http://www.volko.com

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

That I don't know, sorry. That whole family of materials is generally used as an inner layer of something because of the UV thing but whether the UV makes it weaker, less fame resistant, or it just turns a ugly yellow color I couldn't say. That's one of the many reasons wool is so popular for fire resistant materials. Sheep don't degrade in the sun.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: