Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Safety » Cool Shirt cooler install

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Cool Shirt cooler install
DickCDawg Verified Driver

Region: East Tennessee
Car #: 39
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for DickCDawg     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Did a search, but didn't find anything on Cool Shirt cooler installation and weight. I'm looking at putting a 12 qt cooler system, using the Cool Shirt mounting frame, in the right side of the trunk floor. Is this location GCR legal - if so which chapter covers this? Looks to me the weight with about 2 gallons of ice/water will be around 15 to 16lbs. Anyone know if this is accurate, and any tips on placement/installation will also be appreciated.

Dick Hancock
39SM, SeDiv North

Eric Richter Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: So Cal
Car #: #29
Year : 1993
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Eric Richter     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I can't say if it's legal or not, but that is where I have mine mounted and have seen several others mounted there as well. I think my full system weighs about 20lbs.

--------------------
2009 SoCal SCCA SM Champion
"Only boring people get bored"

hythloday

Region: CalClub
Icon 1 posted  Profile for hythloday     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I don't run a cool shirt, but I guess it would be OK to just put a 20Lb plate back there,to keep things even, right?
Is that in the CCR/GCR somewhere?

CP Verified Driver

Region: NER
Car #: 7
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for CP   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I've got plates bolted to the passenger floor to make weight. My cooler is strapped to the top of those plates. I only put about 1/3 gallon of water in it...just enough to float the ice bag. It probably weighs 7-8#s with liquid and ice inside.

--------------------
-Cy
Supported by LTD Racing & Speed Shack - New England's Premier Auto Accessory Store
Rt1 AutoMile - Norwood, MA
http://www.speedshackonline.com

Rob Burgoon Verified Driver

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Rob Burgoon     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

IIRC, the books don't say anything about where to install it, just that you are allowed to install it.

In a sense it's a blank check to put a little water and cooler ballast wherever you want. Add lead to the cooler at your own peril.

Hythloday, if you really want the trunk weight, build a cool shirt. There is nothing stopping you and they are very very nice in the summer.

If it still bothers you, feel free to write a letter and change the GCR (has worked for me).

--------------------
It really makes my week when nobody crashes into me.

DickCDawg Verified Driver

Region: East Tennessee
Car #: 39
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for DickCDawg     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thanks for the weight info Cy - I thought it would take more H2O & ice. The only thing I could find in the GCR about Cool Shirts is:

9.3.14. COOL SUITS
Cool suits are allowed in all classes. Water tank mounts shall be of a safe and secure design.

It makes no mention of location - but I know I've seen coolers in other SM trunks so I thought I'd see if anyone else had found a 'permitting clause'.

Dick

wheel Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: kc
Car #: 20
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for wheel     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Since they are allowed, by the GCR, there would have to be a class specific mention of where they must be mounted. Since there is no restriction, in the SM rules, you can mount them wherever you want, as long as it is safe and secure.
I tend to agree with the handling experts who say adding weight behind the rear end is not a good thing. Weight should be added as low and as close to the center as possible. Think lever arm.
wheel

CP Verified Driver

Region: NER
Car #: 7
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for CP   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

You'll be surprised at how quickly the ice melts. Some guys I know use the little water bottles that you can get from gas stations and freeze them before heading to the track. I fill a gallon freezer bag with ice and it's usually all water by the end of a 25 minute race. The bag is used so that ice doesn't clog up the pump intake. I also put some chicken wire around the pump base, and 2 rubber bands around the bag in an attempt to keep it from getting sucked onto the pump. Once you've got the coolshirt setup, going back is not an option. I even use it in April and Oct/Nov when it's 40* outside. I get REALLY hot when I drive and will be looking into a cool helmet setup for next season.

--------------------
-Cy
Supported by LTD Racing & Speed Shack - New England's Premier Auto Accessory Store
Rt1 AutoMile - Norwood, MA
http://www.speedshackonline.com

Martin Wiedenhoeft Verified Driver

Region: Milwaukee
Car #: 99
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Martin Wiedenhoeft     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Just installed a new system from Advanced Autosports and was really surprised to see ice in the cooler the day after our race!

My old cooler only lasted 30min max as well. It might be time for an upgrade for some of you guys, escpecially if your doing any longer races.

--------------------
Trakmnky

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: