Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Safety » Fireproofing the Spec Miata

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Fireproofing the Spec Miata
Mark McCallister Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Just graduated from novice to rookie!!

Region: Central Florida
Car #: 40
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mark McCallister     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I am installing a 6-nozzle fire system, and have about decided to mount two nozzles in the engine bay, one on each side of the fire wall pointing forward, 3 in the cockpit, and one in the trunk mounted below the rear window facing left toward the fuel filler hoses. Any advice?

One thing everyone should check...shove a light in the trunk and turn off the lights in your garage - you might be surprised at how many points of light (and potentially fuel, etc.), show up on and around the package tray. Apply tape....

I was trying to decide whether I thought it would be safer with the panel that protects the fuel filler hose installed, but blocking most of the foam spray from reaching the filler hoses, or without it (not legal). Any thoughts?

One thing that's of a lot of concern to me - if something were to cause the fuel filler hoses to fail (bad crash, over pressure explosion, etc.), any pinholes in the seat-belt tower area could allow fuel to go forward and end up *under* the driver's seat. Which is not where you want fuel... Check the seal around your seat belt tower bulkhead plates...

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Removing the plate that protects the filler hose is now legal. It was in a recent FastTrack along with cruise control (at last!). I was told at tech that I was the only person they had seen who still had it in.

Remove it. It's only protecting the hoses from luggage in the trunk. You still have a fuel source, you still have air, and in the event those two ignite, you have a hard to access fire.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Mark McCallister Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Just graduated from novice to rookie!!

Region: Central Florida
Car #: 40
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mark McCallister     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Keith, that's in 9.1.8.C.8.g:
"The trunk trim plate that is used to mount the factory jack handle may be removed." ?

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Yep. That's the one.
Also, you can get high temp RTV in calking gun tubes to help with lots of the little gaps in the sheet metal. It goes pretty quick and is less messy than foam.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

CP Verified Driver

Region: NER
Car #: 7
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for CP   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Note the tightness of the straps for your fire bottle. The ones that came with my SPA system were loose. I cut some holes in the floor this weekend and ran two large band clamps around the bottle and under the car around a frame rail. The bottle ain't going anywhere now.

--------------------
-Cy
Supported by LTD Racing & Speed Shack - New England's Premier Auto Accessory Store
Rt1 AutoMile - Norwood, MA
http://www.speedshackonline.com

CP Verified Driver

Region: NER
Car #: 7
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for CP   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I tried the dark garage with a light in the trunk method last night and found one spot that I had missed. Easy way to spot openings. Thanks for the suggestion.

--------------------
-Cy
Supported by LTD Racing & Speed Shack - New England's Premier Auto Accessory Store
Rt1 AutoMile - Norwood, MA
http://www.speedshackonline.com

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: