Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Safety » SPA Fire System "test"

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: SPA Fire System "test"
Gatoratty Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Central Florida
Car #: 3
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

During the first SM race at Sebring short course my fire bottle slid in the mounts and hit the tunnel. Watch the upper right nozzle. The camera shut off as the foam deployed. SPA is replacing the bottle and the mounting system at no charge as mine apparently was a style that is no longer used.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aV8KsieRVY

--------------------
Paul McLester

CP Verified Driver

Region: NER
Car #: 7
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for CP   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I wasn't super impressed with the mounting system either so I ran some big band clamps around the bottle, through slits I cut in the floorpan and around the framerail underneath the car. It's solidly mounted now.

--------------------
-Cy
Supported by LTD Racing & Speed Shack - New England's Premier Auto Accessory Store
Rt1 AutoMile - Norwood, MA
http://www.speedshackonline.com

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

SPA admitted that my bands and mount should never have left the factory. There was no way they were going to hold the bottle, regardless of what I did to attempt to fix things. They refilled my bottle and sent me a new mounting system.

--------------------
Paul McLester

Atlasdelta Verified Driver

Region: SF
Car #: 29
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Atlasdelta   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I admit I have no experience with one of those fire extinguisher systems actually working. The output didn't look as vigorous as I would have expected. Was that a normal output? I expected an output like a hand held fire extinguisher going off.

You needed to have been on the receiving end! The video only showed the nozzle that I have mounted on the roll bar hoop next to the windshield on the passenger side. Under the dash I have one nozzle pointed at my chest/waist and one nozzle pointed at my legs and feet. There are also three nozzles under the hood. I was soaked in fire foam from my visor to my feet which in a real fire would have bought me time to get out of the car. Also the camera cutoff due to being sprayed within a second or two of it happening. The system continued to discharge from the tower turn until the pit in which is about a mile.

--------------------
Paul McLester

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: