Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Safety » Harness Comparison

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Harness Comparison
SCCA_Racer

Region: 33 SFR
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for SCCA_Racer   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I am about to purchase the harness for my car and I have questions. Some decision I have already made are:
3” Shoulder Straps.
2” Lap Belt.
Pull down shoulder adjustment.
Pull In(pull to me and not away from me) Lap adjustment.
6 point.

I have browsed the different brands but have yet to decide which one to purchase.
I want to purchase the harness before installing the seat or cage as all three work together.
Please help me out by telling me what brand you like and if it meets the decisions I have made about width and adjustment direction.

--------------------
Joshua Fine
SCCA member 323214 since 2003
Novice Permit in 2010
Racing 2011

Johnny D Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Hot Member

Region: SFR
Car #: 88 SM
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Johnny D     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

If you're doing a HANS or soemthing make sure the belts work with it. I don't think 3" work with HANS.

Try the different releases for one you like. Connect and release

Wait until you really need it because they expire.

[twocents]

J~

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I thought 3" belts didn't work with HANS either (bought a DefNder for that reason) but was told they work fine. 2 inch shoulder straps fit the shoulder pads of the HNR better though.

Having tried a few harnesses, I like the ones with the twist knob better than the twist lever (like my G-force). I'm worried I'll somehow push the lever and unlock myself at a bad time.

My next harness will be something along the lines of a Schroth Profi II or Enduro, or the Safecraft SM harness. All are easy to adjust, have 2" lap belts, 2/3 combo or 3" shoulder belts, and 6pt attachment. All are also a little pricier but well worth the extra $ IMHO after enduring harnesses I don't like.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Kyle Burkhardt

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kyle Burkhardt     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Three inches works fine with HANS. It was certified with 3-inch belts.

I bought the Sparco 6pt. I've had the Sabelt and liked it too.

--------------------
Kyle Burkhardt
NASA Midwest
#12 SM

B Wilson Verified Driver Series Champ
Gold Member

Region: Oregon
Car #: 68
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for B Wilson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The 3" belt with Hans is an old issue that was pretty much fixed just as folks started buying 2" belts to fix the same problem. Not a problem anymore.

-bw

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ
2010 Monte Shelton Driver of the Year
2010 25 Hours of Thunderhill E3 and Under 2 liter Overall Champion
Oregon Region SM Class Advisor

spdmonkey Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: OVR
Car #: 08
Icon 1 posted  Profile for spdmonkey     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

3" shoulder belts work fine with the HANS. Thats what I use. Some prefer the 2". Try both in someones car and choose. If you go for a premium brand like Schroth you will have almost endless choices--ALL work. If you go with a cheaper brand like G-Force your choices will be more limited. The most important thing is to find some that you like and can get tight by yourself if you won't have a crew or someone else can get tight if you do have crew. Loose belts don't work.

db

Spencer N

Region: SFR
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Spencer N   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I have used both g-force and Scroth harnesses. I prefer the scroth harnesses as I feel like they are much higher quality and I like the 2 inch lap and shoulder belt options.

The scroth harnesses are more expensive than others on the market but well worth the price. I will never used 3 inch lap belts again if I have a choice.

-s.

SCCA_Racer

Region: 33 SFR
Icon 1 posted  Profile for SCCA_Racer   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thanks for the input so far guys.
I will not be using a HANS but instead will be using the Hybrid Pro Rage as I wanted side testhers to aid in a side impact.
The car is being built for next seasons competition, but I want to see where I am going to put my attachment point for the belts especially the submarine attachments points since the seat will be on the floor.
I am noticeing may of you use the G-Force because of the price, but then also notice that Schroth is purchased for the quality.
Any recommendations on where to purchase a Schroth harness? Any places offering special pricing?

--------------------
Joshua Fine
SCCA member 323214 since 2003
Novice Permit in 2010
Racing 2011

Jeff Wasilko

Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jeff Wasilko     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by SCCA_Racer:
Thanks for the input so far guys.
I will not be using a HANS but instead will be using the Hybrid Pro Rage as I wanted side testhers to aid in a side impact.
The car is being built for next seasons competition, but I want to see where I am going to put my attachment point for the belts especially the submarine attachments points since the seat will be on the floor.
I am noticeing may of you use the G-Force because of the price, but then also notice that Schroth is purchased for the quality.
Any recommendations on where to purchase a Schroth harness? Any places offering special pricing?

SafeRacer has them, and offers a spec miata discount

omg

Region: washington
Year : 1990 sm 1990 ssm 2007 MX5 Cup
Icon 1 posted  Profile for omg     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Look at TEAM TECH,with the chest and crotch pads.

John Hammer Palazzolo Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
I'm not slow, I'm maximizing my track time!

Region: NASA SE
Year : '90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for John Hammer Palazzolo   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Josh, you can buy belts from Safety Solutions directly; heck, maybe they'd even make you a package deal on your Hybrid & belts together. Can't hurt to ask.

BTW, I wear a carbon fiber Hybrid & use 3" belts with no problems at all.

--------------------
John "Hammer" Palazzolo

Automotive Event Facilitator
Performance Driving Instructor
JohnHammer.org
877.HEY.0005

-Bob-

Icon 1 posted  Profile for -Bob-     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

If you are going to use the stock seat belt attachment then a pull up lap belt may not work for you.

Gatoratty Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Central Florida
Car #: 3
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Safety Solutions used to have a trade-in policy where you sent them the SFI tags from your old belts and they discounted the safecraft belts. Steve Baker was the contact there.

--------------------
Paul McLester

38BFAST Verified Driver

Region: Waterford Hills
Car #: 38
Year : 96
Icon 1 posted  Profile for 38BFAST     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Safecraft is they way to go. Its the only system that I highly recomend. Every one who has used them loves them. You won't be sorry.

--------------------
Ralph Provitz
2008 WHRRI SM Champion
2008 WHRRI Top 10 Overall
V2 Motorsports, Race support, Data Dude

Jerry Cabe Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Cincy / Great Lakes Div
Car #: 10
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jerry Cabe   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Just to add another variable. I last bought FIA belts (Willans) because you get 5 years use instead of 3 for the SFI. Willans makes a good product and you can custom order whatever you want. Length, end attachments, pull up, pull down, width, etc.

I also went with 3" belts and harnesses. No issues with working with the HANS. My thinking was that in the event of a significant crash with a lot of deceleration, I would want the belt load against my body spread out as much as possible.

Jerry

--------------------
Just driving SM until the F-1 car is ready.

Gatoratty Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Central Florida
Car #: 3
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Safecraft has a free rewebbing program. I went with the 2" hybrid system from Safecraft. Very comfortable and I read somewhere that the 2" lap belt actually protects the pelvis better.

--------------------
Paul McLester

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Cabe:
I also went with 3" belts and harnesses. No issues with working with the HANS. My thinking was that in the event of a significant crash with a lot of deceleration, I would want the belt load against my body spread out as much as possible.

I originally went with 3" belts for the same reason. One thing I found though is a HANS greatly improves the way the load of the belts is distributed. Pre-HANS getting my belts snug was very painful due to screws sticking out of my collar bone. Now it's downright comfy.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

hoverducky Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: San Francisco
Year : 1993
Icon 1 posted  Profile for hoverducky     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I run a narrow (15") seat and the Safecraft "combo tang adjuster" harness design helps with getting the lap belts tight. More of a pull-out then pull-down kind of thing. I like them better than the Schröth Profi-II, which is still a nice harness.

Safecraft will also build you a harness in whatever configuration you want. We went with seven-point, for example, which isn't shown on their web site.

The free re-web basically means five or six seasons just like FIA belts.

Scott

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: