Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Safety » Driving suit zipper help?

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Driving suit zipper help?
Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Anyone have a good, non-flammable trick for a zipper that's going kaput?

My Bell Endurance suit is only 2 years old. At the last race, my zipper started to separate whenever I was zipping it. It's not a specific area like a damaged tooth or something and looking at when it separates, I can't see any damage. I can slowly wiggle it and get it to zip right but taking 5 minutes to zip my suit each time is a PITA, especially when I'm in a rush to pre-grid.

I've heard you can coat them with stuff like parafin but that doesn't sound smart in a fire suit. Replace just the little zipper dealie? If I have to cut out and replace the whole zipper I'd be tempted to just buy a new suit. Waranteeable? Any help would be appreciated.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

wheel Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: kc
Car #: 20
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for wheel     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I would contact the retailer, or Bell directly. I have not heard of a top line suit failing, like that.
wheel

Gatoratty Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Central Florida
Car #: 3
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I bought a double coat zipper and had it sewn by a seamstress. Got to PRI and told the G-force rep that the zipper broke and they told me that they would have replaced it for free if I had contacted them! Lesson learned.

--------------------
Paul McLester

Pack Fodder

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Good point. I'll call Bell tomorrow. They've always been very good when I've broken their helmets.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Tom Sager Made Donation to Website

Region: Chicago
Car #: 94
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Tom Sager     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Gatoratty:
I bought a double coat zipper and had it sewn by a seamstress. Got to PRI and told the G-force rep that the zipper broke and they told me that they would have replaced it for free if I had contacted them! Lesson learned.

Yes, find a nice young seamstress that has experience helping men with zippers.

Steven Holloway Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Blue Eyes, Aquarius, hates being squeezed to the grass in SowDiv!

Region: Lonestar
Car #: 97
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Steven Holloway     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

You might check with CV Products.

I pulled a couple of teeth off my Sparco suit zipper trying to pull it on in a hurry without unzipping it all the way. CV was the authorized repair center, replacing it with an original Sparco Nomex zipper, for about $50ish IIRC.

--------------------
If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's got electrical problems.

SHOEDOG

Region: Mohud
Icon 1 posted  Profile for SHOEDOG     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

It sounds like the slider is bad.It might have sprung and no longer closes the teeth together.Sometimes you can carefully squeeze it back together.Be careful as it takes very little to close it up too much.
Wax is a bad idea as it causes the slider to spring open.Light oil is the best zipper lubricant.
A shoe repair shop can generally replace a slider.
Shoedog

Dave Lewis

Region: detroit
Car #: 17
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dave Lewis     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Best method for lubing zippers I learned from my Dad 50 years ago. rub a soft pencil lead (#2?) up and down the entire length.

Drago Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: mid south
Car #: 2
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

franks and beans!

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com
2006-2007 Mid-West Division
07,09 June Sprints Champion

EAST STREET RACING

Phil Mather Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Insert witty title here...

Region: Detroit
Car #: 06
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Phil Mather   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

It happened to me w/ a GForce suit right before I had to jump in the racecar at Skip Barber last year. Luckily, they have suits on hand, so I just grabbed one of theirs. Pegasus has nomex zippers and thread. I had a local seamstress put it in my suit with the nomex thread. I should have done what Gatoratty said though [Smile]

--------------------
Phil

Support SpecMiata.com-Buy a CG-Lock!

http://www.TeamMatherMotorsport.com/specmiata

Muda Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
ComingToAMirrorNearYou

Region: WDC
Car #: #23
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Muda     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Had it happen to an old Sparco and they sent me a new zipper which I had installed locally.

That pencil lead fix is trick!

--------------------
Muda Motorsports
"We're all here 'cause we're not all there."

Tom Sager Made Donation to Website

Region: Chicago
Car #: 94
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Tom Sager     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Drago:
franks and beans!

Yes, be careful or you end up like this guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ek3XKF2GcjE

Pack Fodder

This actually turned out to be a bit of a pain and the solution was a little bit of most of the above...

I found out when I called Bell, they sold off that division of the company to Speedway Motors. I was given a phone number to the new owners, who first hummed and hawed and said they don't handle my suit anymore. Bell should waranty it. A few hours later I got a call back and they told me to send it to them with $50 and they'll have a new zipper sewn in.

All in all I can't complain too much. They didn't point fingers too long. The cost is fair IMHO, and I know the new owners do stand by their product name even if they don't sell the same stuff as last year.

I will try the pencil lead on the zipper this go around though and try not to break it until it's time for a new suit.
[Smile]

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Kim Ouye Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Retired Racer

Region: SFR
Car #: 82/73
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kim Ouye     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

This happened to me too. My temporary solution was to raise both upper and lower zippers to the top and then zip the bottom one down. That worked pretty well.

--------------------
Kim

91 BRG SMT RIP
06 MX-5 Cup

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting 'Holy sh*t...what a ride!'" - Unknown

Pack Fodder

DOUH!! [banghead]

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Blake Thompson Verified Driver
Now The Fastest "Blake" in Spec Miata

Region: Central
Car #: 97
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Blake Thompson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

broke mine at VIR this weekend, called G Force, they're estimating $50-60 to replace the zipper. off it goes...

--------------------
http://btdtracing.com - YOUR Miata Parts Pimp

Black Sweeper Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: CFR
Car #: 8
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Black Sweeper     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I had the same problem. I took it to the local race shop Wine Country Motorsports. They sent the suit out and had the zipper reworked for $45.00 in less than a week. It has workied fine since then , over two years.

--------------------
CFR/SeDIV SM # 8

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: