Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Safety » anti submarine belt?

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: anti submarine belt?
SnakeFart Verified Driver
I bring old topics back to life!!

Region: Houston
Car #: N/A
Year : 1990
Icon 5 posted  Profile for SnakeFart     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

where should this be installed at? in the GCR it says should be as close to the drivers chest. that would mean i need to drill a hole in the car under the seat.

if i do that i need grade 8 bolts correct? where do i find those at?
Thanks in advance

--------------------
Dennis "SnakeFart" Johnson
Think. Feel. SnakeFart.

Jim Boemler Verified Driver
Veteran Member

Region: NWR, OR
Car #: 30
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jim Boemler     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Mine is installed just forward of the cross-bar, although just aft would work as well. Partly depends on your seat position. With most seats, the hole will guide the strap to the proper position.

I used a grade 8 bolt, but it's really overkill. I think the GCR requires grade 5. Locally I find them at either Tacoma Screw Products or Lowe's, but any industrial supply house should be able to set you up.

jim

--------------------
Just a clown

Icon 1 posted  Profile for SnakeFart     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

ah yes it does say grade 5 so i guess i could head to the local hardware store and buy 1. as long as its attached to the car metal to metal it should be ok to pass tech i assume.

--------------------
Think. Feel. SnakeFart.

Veteran Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jim Boemler     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Use a big thick washer underneath. Like a couple of inches. I use a heavy "fender" washer, backed up with a large hardened washer. Point being you want to spread the load as much as possible.

jim

--------------------
Just a clown

jigou Verified Driver
Veteran Member

Region: Des Moines Valley
Car #: 59
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for jigou     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I picked up a hunk of 2" x 1/8" steel bar stock at the local hardware store, and cut square mini-backing-plates from it. Just hack off a hunk, drill a hole and mount it.

They held amazingly well when I wall/car-tested them.

As for the sub belt, I situated mine so it was pulling as directly as possible against the upward pull of the shoulder belts. Mount your lap belts low across your hip bones, get the shoulder belts where they need to be, then locate the sub belt.

Jarrod

--------------------
http://www.plainoldgas.com

Icon 1 posted  Profile for SnakeFart     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

i have a cam lock on my harness do i want to have the locking part on my bellybutton or below it?

--------------------
Think. Feel. SnakeFart.

Veteran Member

If you've already bought your harness, you don't have much choice. The part of the buckle with two slots (for the shoulder harnesses) has to go "up".

Given my druthers, I 'druther have the lever pointed down, 'cause the sharp pieces of some levers (Simpson) poke me in the belly.

If I lost some belly, it would be less of an issue. [Frown]

jim

--------------------
Just a clown

jigou Verified Driver
Veteran Member

Region: Des Moines Valley
Car #: 59
Icon 1 posted  Profile for jigou     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

You'll want the cam mechanism itself located below your belly button - so that your two lap belts run as straight as possible from the cam lock, across your hip bones, and down to their mounting points.

If the belts are above your hip bones, then you're relying on the squishy part of your belly to hold you back in an accident, which is not a good thing.

Jarrod

--------------------
http://www.plainoldgas.com

sungod1971 Verified Driver

Region: Cincinnati
Car #: 76
Icon 1 posted  Profile for sungod1971   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

If memory serves me correctly, SportsCar published a series of two or three articles in 2004 detailing correct/optimal installation and positioning of belts. For back issues, visit:

http://www.sportscarmag.com/customer_service.asp?type=back

--Best from, Mark Lee

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: