Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Safety » Ultrashield Containment Seats

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Ultrashield Containment Seats
tom_hampton

Region: SW
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for tom_hampton   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'm looking at the various containment seats from Ultrashield (circle track, road race, VS, lightweight, rally sport, full/mod cover, halo 1/2/3).

I can't really tell all of the differences between the different models from the pictures and online descriptions. I live in Texas and so I will just take a trip down to their showroom next week.

I was wondering does anyone experience with any of these seats? Pros? Cons? Models that work well in the miata? Models that don't?

I figure I'll take my tape measure with me, since measurements online seem hard to find. But, is there anything else to know besides, fits driver, fits car as far as these seats are concerned?

--------------------
---
Tom Hampton
Miata build: http://www.tomhampton.info

BrianW

Car #: 59
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for BrianW     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Tom, I think that you live in Dallas. I would recommend that you take a hard look at a composite seat. I recently put a Sparco Pro Adv in my car. I am tall at 6'5" and seat sizing was a serious issue. If you would like, you can come by and take a look at the fitment of the seat in my car, I am in Dallas.

I think that a composite seat is much safer than an aluminum seat.

Motor City Hamilton

Region: Great Lakes/Detroit
Car #: 51
Year : 1994 Miata
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Motor City Hamilton     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I purchased the Ultrashield pro road race seat. I am thinking about upgrading to their aluminum full containment seat. A quality aluminum seat is just as good as composite and I found that it fit better in my Miata than my old composite seat.

I would recommend that if you are a tall guy, to get a custom made seat, if you go with Ultrashield. It was an extra $100 when I bought mine. The important part to the custom seat for those of us taller than 6' is how the belt pass through the seat and over the shoulder. You don't want the belts to have to go through the seat holes then way up over your shoulders = spine compression in a crash.

There is a great measurement chart on their site.
http://www.ultrashieldrace.com/faqs.php

If you are on a budget and not going with full containment, I will be selling my 2 year old seat that was made for a 6'4" tall, skinny guy. The seat is a 14 3/4 custom height.

David Dewhurst
Veteran Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for David Dewhurst     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Try seats out mounted in a Spec Miata or put the seat on the floor & sit in the seat..............

Some full containment seats can be an issue with the main hoop of the roll cage. Get involved with the shop that will do your roll cage before procuring a seat. Get your steering wheel positioned & your seat (borrow if you can) mounted at least to the floor before doing the cage. Seat, steering wheel, pedal comfort FIRST.
Maybe you try a car out that has a roll cage & seat of choice that fits perfect that you can duplicate.

--------------------
Have Fun [Wink]

David Dewhurst
CenDiv
Milwaukee Region
Spec Miata #14

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I had the Ultrashield RR seat installed at my car at the same time as the cage. Parts of the cage were tack welded so we could fit me in the seat with the seat in the car before moving a few things and finishing the welding.

The seat does fit well in the car and is easy to mount. One thing I don't like about that seat is the rib supports. They're a bit high and wide interfering with my elbows which gives me an iffy grip on my lower hand.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Motor City Hamilton

Region: Great Lakes/Detroit
Year : 1994 Miata
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Motor City Hamilton     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Keith in WA:
One thing I don't like about that seat is the rib supports. They're a bit high and wide interfering with my elbows which gives me an iffy grip on my lower hand.

That's another reason I spent the extra hundy on the custom measured seat.

TR6

Region: Southwest
Car #: 500
Year : 2002
Icon 1 posted  Profile for TR6     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I have an Ultrashield in my spec miata. I'm 6'3" so seating options were limited. A lot of composite seats just won't fit in a miata. Even with the ultrashield it required massaging the transmission tunnel a bit. I'm up in Denton if you ever want to test sit in my car. Or just have a beer.

--------------------
Greg H.
2002 red Miata #500
Denton, Texas

Randy Thieme

Region: Oregon
Year : 1993
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Randy Thieme     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

When my car was built we weren't sure if the rules allowed modifying the tranny tunnel. Instead, the fabricator welded a small notch in the aluminum seat. Great job, looked factory.

tom_hampton

Icon 1 posted  Profile for tom_hampton   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Brian, and Greg-

I may take you up on those offers after the holiday. I'll send a PM, when I break free.

I'm not freakishly tall, though. [Big Grin] I'm 5' 11" in the morning, less at the end of the day. [Smile]

I figure a full containment aluminum seat is better than a non-containment composite seat. So, if I'm going to limit cost to $500-ish...the Ultrashields are excellent safety for value.

I was going to buy a Kirkey Intermediate. then I saw the roll over video in the recent side-net thread...that convinced me I wanted a containment seat. For the extra $200 (over a basic Al seat), these seem to be very good safety per $$. I may get a couple more bruises (side impact) in the aluminum versus the composite...but, both are very safe, right?

MCH-

I'm not tall...but, I'm just just going to go to their shop. If I need custom after sitting in the seats, then I can discuss that with them right there and go that route.

DD-

I've rented two differnt Miat's with cages and aluminum seats. One was a Ultrashield, the other a Kirkey. Neither was a containment seat though. I'll ask at the showroom to put it on the floor. I may even drive the car down there, and see if the will let me set it in the cockpit.

I intend to buy the seat, and harness first and work out the installation. Then tack-weld the cage around the seat install. I've decided on an Advanced Autosports cage. I'm having a professional welder do all the finish welds.

RT-

Hips are a solid 16" at 5' 11" / 200 lbs. 15 3/4 in street clothes. I've squeezed into a 15" Kirkey while wearing shorts. Dunno if I will need to modify the tunnel or not. Either way...I have the equipment if needed. Once I get rid of the ballast around my midsection....not sure where I'll be.

Thanks, all.

-tch

--------------------
---
Tom Hampton

David Dewhurst
Veteran Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for David Dewhurst     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Tom, another thing to remember when procuring a seat is the strength of your body parts that support you in the seat. Hips very strong sideways, shoulders pretty strong sideways, ribs not very strong sideways. My seat in my ITA car was a Kirkey oval track with high sides into the rib area, live & learn. My current seat is a Ultra-Shield Pro road race seat where most of the side load is taken in the hips & shoulders. Dave Wheeler at Advanced Autosports is very knowledgable as to what works well with his cage.

--------------------
Have Fun [Wink]

David Dewhurst
CenDiv
Milwaukee Region
Spec Miata #14

Birddog

Region: Chicago
Car #: 09
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Birddog     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I second Mr. Dewhurst's comments. Although I'm just getting started in SM, my Ultrashield seat fits me like a glove. It's a "halo" seat with only the right side head restraint. The left side of my helmet hits the SFI padding on the upper cage bar within about an inch or two of center so no left side support on the seat is needed - which also makes it easier to get in and out of the car. With this seat I realistically have only a few inches max travel either right or left with my helmet before it is very firmly supported. Very safe design. I believe Dave Wheeler custom orders these seats with the right side halo only.

[ 11-20-2010, 09:56 AM: Message edited by: Birddog ]

--------------------
Ed

Johnny D Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Hot Member

Region: SFR
Car #: 88 SM
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Johnny D     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Another thought is you get a seat a little bigger than you and you make your own custom insert. This also works well later if you use your car for enduro races with other racers. Most use a foam insert but I know one who used a fiberglass insert and the fit was perfect so being rock hard didn't matter fitting like a glove.
J~

--------------------
Avatar Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ww9cFE3lKcA

George Munson Verified Driver

Region: 83
Car #: 127
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for George Munson     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Another seat you might look at is the "E-Z Series Sportsman" http://www.butlerbuiltseats.com/

I just put one of these 15" in my new car with no issues at all. I was able sit in these as well as the other seats on the market and the overall fit and quaility was better. At $695. the pricing is fair as well.

Dan Lipperini Jr

Region: NEPA #25
Year : 1995 Spec Miata & 1990 S2000 powered Miata
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dan Lipperini Jr   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I don't know how many of you practice getting out of the car in an emergency situation, but in a smaller car(S2000, Miata and 4-doors), getting out with a head-restraint seat can be difficult. Just a thought if you do have to get out the window of the car, will the seat interfere with exiting thru that hole?

Just a thought as our S2000 is impossible to get out the drivers window with the door closed.

--------------------
Dan Lipperini Jr
http://www.Racelabz.com

S2000 powered Miata trackday toy
New 1.8 Spec Miata(for sale)

tom_hampton

I've spoke n with dave about the cage. I knew dave sold ultrashield. But, Didn't realize he sold the halo options. I will give dave another call.

Johnny, how much oversize to leave room for the insert? Now that you mention it, I remember reading someone's thread on making one. Who are the vendors for the insert foam?

Btw, the link to butler is http://www.butlerbuilt.net.

--------------------
---
Tom Hampton

tom_hampton

Never mind...found it at pegasus:

http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/group.asp?GroupID=SEATFITTING

Also search "seat foam" in this forum.

--------------------
---
Tom Hampton

tLinder

Car #: 40
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for tLinder     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Dan Lipperini Jr:
I don't know how many of you practice getting out of the car in an emergency situation, but in a smaller car(S2000, Miata and 4-doors), getting out with a head-restraint seat can be difficult. Just a thought if you do have to get out the window of the car, will the seat interfere with exiting thru that hole?

Just a thought as our S2000 is impossible to get out the drivers window with the door closed.

Excellent point made by Dan. If you install a HALO seat, you probably need to remove the driver's vent window to exit via the window, especially if you are wearing a HANS. (I have a Sparco Circuit Pro, same as Brian above).

fishguyaz

Region: AZ/SoPac
Car #: 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for fishguyaz     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

tom,
if you make an insert, i would think seriously about using the bead seat kits over the much cheaper 2 part foam stuff.
I race a formula ford as well as the SM, and have made and used several seats for my formula cars.

the bead seat will provide much better impact protection for your body than the 2 part foam kit.
dont skimp on this type of stuff in this sport. the price difference of the 2 kits may seem large, but you will be happy you had the best stuff "after you used it".
if you need help working with the bead seat kit PM me, and i can walk you through it. its pretty easy but you will need a helper.
Josh

--------------------
Josh Pitt
AZ Region

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

It can be tricky getting out with the door closed wing window installed, and no halo. If I had a halo, I'd definately remove that wing window. A tip for an easier escape...

I found that when I first started using a HNR device, it was a bugger to get out of the car if I didn't remember to pull the rip cords on the tethers 1st.

A friend who's been racing since the 50s and had to demonstrate he can actually get out of his car quickly found he had a hard time grabbing the tethers at all when he started wearing a Hans so they took a small pet leash, and attached the loop end for a much easier grab.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Johnny D Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Hot Member

Region: SFR
Car #: 88 SM
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Johnny D     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Toby Linder:
quote:
Originally posted by Dan Lipperini Jr:

Excellent point made by Dan. If you install a HALO seat, you probably need to remove the driver's vent window to exit via the window, especially if you are wearing a HANS. (I have a Sparco Circuit Pro, same as Brian above).
I have the Racetech with Halo and vent. I also use a HANS. I get in and out of my car with my Helmet/HANS on. Maybe that's good practice. I felt I got out of my car pretty quickly with my fire. (Avatar/Video below) I didn't get far though with me hooked up to my cool suit.

Of course getting everything out of your way between you and the door for a emergency never hurts.

J~

--------------------
Avatar Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ww9cFE3lKcA

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: