Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Safety » Where to try on HANS and R3?

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Where to try on HANS and R3?
Marc Ulan

Region: Northeast
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Marc Ulan     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Hi all -

I am new to SM and to racing in general. I just bought a race ready car and am planning on working towards my license once the weather warms up. In the meantime, I need to purchase a driver suit, helmet, head and neck restraint, etc. I'd like to try on both HANS and R3 systems to see which is a better fit for me. This brings me to my question. Is there anywhere in the Northeast where I can try on both a HANS and R3? I live in Central Connecticut and don't mind driving a 2 or 3 hours in any direction.

Thanks in advance for your help. I've been reading the forums for a while now and find the info invaluable. I am sure I'll have additional questions as I go.

Marc

kevin 22 Verified Driver

Region: NYR
Car #: 22
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for kevin 22     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

You can try my R3 on next time you are on Long Island. just send my a PM and I will give a phone number.

--------------------
Kevin Anderson

Andy Bettencourt Verified Driver
www.flatout-motorsports.com

Region: NER
Car #: 09 ITA
Year : 90, 91, 94 Rentals
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Andy Bettencourt   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I also have an R3. Will be in Danbury this week...

Ping me.

--------------------
Andy Bettencourt
Flatout Motorsports
www.flatout-motorsports.com

Brandon F. Verified Driver

Region: NNJR
Car #: 48
Year : 1996
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Brandon F.     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Marc,
Not sure where in the "NE" you happen to be located but there's a few of places "within reason" of my home I'm aware of.

Cy Peake (username "CP") has in his signature a place in Massachusetts (I think) that sells racing bits (search for posts by username).

Also there's Stable Energies in Garfield, NJ (been there a LOT. Say "Hi" to Bob (owner) and Joe.)

I'm not sure of their stock on head restraints (HANS, R3) but they do sell suits/helmets/gloves: Bruce's Speed Shop in Rockaway, NJ.

Best of luck!
Brandon

CP Verified Driver

Car #: 7
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for CP   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I don't have either at the store but would be willing to let you try my HANS on for fit. I've got a friend/fellow SM racer that lives in Portland, CT that would probably also be willing to let you play with his HANS and is much closer to you. Contact me via PM for any information. And start planning your licensing school schedule so that you can start racing with us ASAP.

--------------------
-Cy
Supported by LTD Racing & Speed Shack - New England's Premier Auto Accessory Store
Rt1 AutoMile - Norwood, MA
http://www.speedshackonline.com

FastM3 Verified Driver

Car #: 38
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for FastM3     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I have used a Hans for a year and have been using a Hybrid Pro Rage this season.

Plus
1 Provides side to side support
2 Seems to not allow as much frontal movement as a Hans
3 Does not dig into the shoulders. You feel the belts and not the device.
4 It is supposed to reduce forces in a shallow angle impact (some side force) better than the Hans. I don't have a halo seat but a right side net will be in for next season.

Minus
1 More complicated to put on. Must slip rings onto the lap belt (not really an issue)
2 Helmet clips are a little more complicated.
3 Dont forget to attach the quick release to the velcro patches that you install on the front of the helmet.
3 I install the harness and clip the helmet clips before getting into the car.
4 Since it uses straps (or belts0 it has a limited lifetime. 3 years I think. Not sure if you can return it to be re belted.

Watch all the videos you can find and then decide.

--------------------
Phil
Silver 38 SM/ITA

Marc Ulan

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Marc Ulan     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thank you to all for the guidance and offers to try on equipment. I did have the opportunity to try on both a HANS and a Hybrid Pro. I went with the Hybrid Pro because it was more comfortable, and I like that it attaches directly to me. One decision down, one million to go . . .

CP - I'm trying very hard to get my license. If I can swing the cost, I'd like to do a Skippy school in the spring. But after buying all of the equipment to get going, I'll be lucky to afford gas to get to the track!

CP Verified Driver

Icon 1 posted  Profile for CP   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

For the price of the Skippy school, you can attend two SCCA schools and race for half the season...a much better utilization of your racing dollars time if you ask me.

--------------------
-Cy
Supported by LTD Racing & Speed Shack - New England's Premier Auto Accessory Store

Vick Verified Driver
Do they sell spec training wheels?

Region: NYR
Car #: 12
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Vick     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The skippy school vs SCCA school debate has gone on for a while. I think it could be accurately summed up like this:

If you've never driven a car on a track ever, a skippy school will get you up to speed much faster than anything else out there. It gives you a chance to learn the mechanics of driving a car on a track you may or may not know in someone elses gear, with three coaches paying attention to you and giving you feedback.

If you've been DE-ing for a while, it would make more monetary sense to do the SCCA school route.

I did a skippy school, got my license, and then did a SCCA school as well. I'd say the skippy school teaches you how to drive and work up a track, while the SCCA school teaches you more about racing and throws you into the fire right away.

By the way, in central ct you've got a lot of resources and helpful people close by. Good luck and welcome!

-Vick (another LI guy).

--------------------
http://www.volko.com

Marc Ulan

My track time consists of just one DE event, this past October in a rented SM (do I even need to say how much fun it was?). I've been seeking the counsel of several of the very excellent resources local to my area, and I've read as many of the related posts as I could find on this forum. With this, I am leaning towards attending a Skippy school in early Spring and then attending an SCCA school a bit later in the year. In between, I will do as many DE events as I can. I am hoping that with this combination I will have a good enough basis of theory, practice and instruction to be ready for a first race.

I know this is one of those hot-button topics, with as many opinions as drivers. I am also taking into account what I understand of my own learning style.

Thank you again to all who have responded and offered advise. I am overwhelmed with how much excellent information there is on this site. I hope to be more than just a "taker" at some point in the future!

Marc

FastM3 Verified Driver

Car #: 38
Icon 1 posted  Profile for FastM3     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Look forward to having you come and play at the track. DE days are great. The instructor pools have vast backgrounds. Do a couple and after you move up a couple of groups mention to your instructor that you are interested in racing. You will be able to tell from his response if he can help you or not.

If you get someone that is competition aware you can learn a great deal. More than a Skippy school and maybe even more than an SCCA school. Just be aware that some DE instructors
1 only do DE's
2 Some may never have autocrossed
3 Some may race with PCA or BMW
4 Some race with SCCA
5 Some only do COM time trials

If you want to learn car control so you wont spin then go autocrossing and do a lot of it.

To learn track manners go to DE days with BMW club instructors.

Whe you start racing just move over when old # 38 comes up on you and then you can block # 7

--------------------
Phil
Silver 38 SM/ITA

John Hammer Palazzolo Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
I'm not slow, I'm maximizing my track time!

Region: NASA SE
Car #: 88
Year : '90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for John Hammer Palazzolo   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I wear a Hutchens Hybrid & won't go back to a HANS. I think the Hybrid is even more comfortable than the R3 (once it's on).

Phil, interesting point about the straps & dates: I've never seen anything about them going out of date or needing re-webbing. However, the cool thing about Trevor & the gang...they're right down the street from me in Mooresville, NC. May be worth a call or click to their website.

--------------------
John "Hammer" Palazzolo

Automotive Event Facilitator
Performance Driving Instructor
JohnHammer.org
877.HEY.0005

Gatoratty Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Central Florida
Car #: 3
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Interesting to find out at PRI that the Defnder is no longer SFI 38.1 certified. Also HANS has a new Sport II coming out in January and new quick releases with the slider system.

--------------------
Paul McLester

Kent Carter Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Future Never Has Been

Region: Houston
Car #: 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kent Carter   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Gatoratty:
Interesting to find out at PRI that the Defnder is no longer SFI 38.1 certified. Also HANS has a new Sport II coming out in January and new quick releases with the slider system.

Interesting... I wonder why the 'delisting'. Money?

--------------------
Do I turn my 99 Hard S into a killerfast SM or seek a donor?

GROOTS

Region: NY
Car #: 48
Icon 1 posted  Profile for GROOTS     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Marc
You can never go wrong taking the Skippy class. Dont think twice about it. it teaches you the mechanics of driving a race car.Something that you will never forget. If you can take it in a formula car do it. It gives you a better perspective and understanding of vehicle dynamics.SCCA schools are great and teach you on course manners more than anything else.
Welcome to the SM community !!! [rolling on floor laughin]

(Another long Islander)

--------------------
JEFF GRUTER
SM #48
EXCELL MOTORSPORTS
PARAMOUNT TOOL & EQUIPTMENT http://www.ptetool.com/

R Hale Verified Driver

Car #: 21
Year : 2008-1995 - 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for R Hale   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I have HANS in stock if you want to try one on.

--------------------
Randy Hale
Hale Motorsports
Team Patron

CP Verified Driver

What Phil meant to say was to move over for the #7 and then block the #38 that will be several cars behind.

I was under the impression that the HANS straps have a shelf life and need to be replaced regularly. The new Sport model doesn't come up as high as the older versions, making egress from the cockpit easier since it is less likely to get caught on the roll cage or roof.

--------------------
-Cy

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: