Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Safety » fire suppression kit

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: fire suppression kit
fishguyaz

Region: AZ/SoPac
Car #: 92
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for fishguyaz     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I just picked up a 5 lbs halon fire suppression kit. its a 3 nozzle system, and was hoping for any tips or advice as far as the install/location of nozzles from people who have already installed one. maybe you can clue me in to some stuff you may have learned the hard way.
thanks in advance
fishguy

--------------------
Josh Pitt
AZ Region

spdmonkey Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: OVR
Car #: 08
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for spdmonkey     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Depending on how much tubing you have you can mount the bottle either on the floor where the passenger seat goes or in the trunk. I did the seat area so i can pull the pin before a session and put it back in after. I ran the tubing up onto the center tunnel and have a nozzle pointed up from a "T" spraying at me. I also run one on my feet from the top of the tunnel. You can also the run the line through the firewall and have it point down at the engine if you want. Since engine fires are not that frequent an occurrence in our cars you could mount another nozzle pointed at you as well. Plan your tubing route ahead of time and use adel clamps to tie it down close to the chassis. Do your bends so that they have a nice smooth radius. Make sure you have a small tubing cutter and tighten the compression fittings with a proper set of wrenches. Make sure you have the pull mounted securely to a metal bracket as it takes quite a pull to release the stuff. Also make sure the pull cable is inserted into the bottle before you pull the pin. Then hope you never have to find out how well it works.

db

John Mueller Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Okay, not the slowest anymore...

Region: SoCal
Car #: 13
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for John Mueller   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by fishguyaz:
... hoping for any tips or advice as far as the install/location of nozzles from people who have already installed one.

Not liking fire in my racecar, I decided to install a 5 nozzle system. I bought a tubing flair & cutter at Pepboys for $20. Below are a few pics of my ESS "self-rechargeable" system, I'm happy with the way it turned out.

I put the bottle on the floor, hopefully leaving room for a coolsuit system. I bolted a steel plate in the dash for the T-handel (also will be used as a switch panel). I loose little stuff all the time so a looped some cable to hold the safety clip. The first nozzle is on top of the tunnel near my right hip, it is pointed at my chest.

PHOTO LINK OF BOTTLE

2nd Nozzle is by my knees. PHOTO LINK OF KNEE NOZZLE

3rd Nozzle is in the trunk pointed at the fuel tank. PHOTO LINK OF NOZZLE IN TRUNK

4th & 5th are under the hood, one on each side of the motor. PHOTO OF ENGINE NOZZLE (RIGHT SIDE)
PHOTO OF NOZZLE LEFT SIDE OF ENGINE

Hope this helps

[ 09-09-2006, 10:34 PM: Message edited by: sn8byte ]

--------------------
Thanks,
John Mueller
NASA SM National Director
http://www.Weekend-Racer.com
#13 "Tiger Miata" - 2009 SoCal SSM Champion

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: