Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Safety » Seat brace with composite seat? (Page 2)

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic
Page 2 of 2 1  2 

Author Topic: Seat brace with composite seat?
Gatoratty Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Central Florida
Car #: 3
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

David Black is the owner of Racetech. Read what he says about the back brace.

http://www.racetech.co.nz/products.php?name=safetyequipinfo/safetyinfo.htm

--------------------
Paul McLester

skrzastek

Region: Blue Ridge Region
Car #: #91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for skrzastek     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by seege:
Yes it needs to be attached to the seat.
-CJ

According to my email with Greg at NASA (National & SoCal TT, PT, & ST Director), it just has to be snug against the seat, preventing it from moving backward

--------------------
#91 SSM

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

If the seat is older than 5 years from the date on the FIA label then it is no longer within the FIA standard 8855-1999 and would have to be attached to the cage for SCCA. NASA requires a seat back brace be used if the FIA seat is over 5 years old.

--------------------
Paul McLester

seege Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: NASA So Cal
Year : Thinking on that.... ok done 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for seege     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by skrzastek:
quote:
-CJ

According to my email with Greg at NASA (National & SoCal TT, PT, & ST Director), it just has to be snug against the seat, preventing it from moving backward
I want the car legal for both sanctioning bodies,if the SCCA requires attachment...then so be it.

--------------------
-CJ Johnson

skrzastek

Region: Blue Ridge Region
Car #: #91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for skrzastek     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by skrzastek:
quote:
-CJ

I want the car legal for both sanctioning bodies,if the SCCA requires attachment...then so be it.
If my memory serves, FIA seats do not "expire" according to the SCCA, so they do not need a seat back brace (for now)

--------------------
#91 SSM

Not true! Read the GCR and don't rely on memory. FIA seats MUST meet the FIA standard 8855-1999. The standard itself states that the seat expires after 5 years (you can return the seat to the mfg for an additional two year re-certification) which means that after 5 years the seat does not meet the FIA std and becomes a "one piece bucket seat" which requires a brace attached to the cage.

--------------------
Paul McLester

kevin 22 Verified Driver

Region: NYR
Car #: 22
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for kevin 22     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I contacted Racetech, I asked their position on Seat back braces. They informed me that the seats do not need to be braced. But they said .... better yet I will copy and paste email. read for yourself. especially the last line .

Kevin, Your 4009 seat does not need a back brace. Our crash testing shows that you can increase the seat and driver survivability by adding a back brace. The standard 4009 is a FIA 20G tested spec. Our back mounted Viper seat is a 45G tested seat. The 45G test was gained by back mounting the seat. Your sanctioning body should have a rule on this. Racetech does have a retrofit kit that can be installed correctly to gain the back mounting system. The kit includes high tensile attachment plates the must be mounted inside the back of the seat. We do not recommend using any other attachment system. The plates are similar to the ones we use for the lower bracket attachment points. I personally will not drive a race car without a back mounted head restraint seat. I hope this helps this confusing situation.
Please feel free to contact us if you have any other questions. Regards.
Pete Morley. President

--------------------
Kevin Anderson

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'm actually quite surprised at that but the truth really is in the test data. You can figure "this will happen and that will happen" all day long but the sled test results will often reveal suprising things.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

seege Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: NASA So Cal
Year : Thinking on that.... ok done 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for seege     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I ordered the IO port brace today and noticed they recommended using 2 braces for best protection in a side impact crash.
I'll have a look at things when the brace arrives but I may be leaning towards fabbing something more substantial. I appreciate the help here.
-CJ

--------------------
-CJ Johnson

Page 2 of 2 1  2 

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: