Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » National Auto Sport Association » NASA Northeast » STOLEN MIATA in VA

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: STOLEN MIATA in VA
skrzastek

Region: Blue Ridge Region
Car #: #91
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for skrzastek     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

My car was getting the final painting touches put on it at a local shop when someone broke into the shop and stole it along with some other stuff sometime between Thursday after 6pm and this morning at 11am when the shop owner called me. Be on the look out for a caged freshly painted white Miata for sale......

--------------------
#91 SSM

Jfornachon Verified Driver

Region: socal
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jfornachon     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Sorry to hear about that. What year and if you have the vin it might help out a bit. At state of setup was it in? Any other details will help as well.

skrzastek

Icon 1 posted  Profile for skrzastek     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Jfornachon:
Sorry to hear about that. What year and if you have the vin it might help out a bit. At state of setup was it in? Any other details will help as well.

91 base car, originally blue. I am trying to find the vin as the car was basically stripped when I got it. The only thing other than the sub-frame and cage was the stock suspension, steering rack, and stock steel wheels on it.

--------------------
#91 SSM

DW Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
WBR Graphics

Region: WDCR
Car #: 36
Year : 2000
Icon 1 posted  Profile for DW   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Sorry to hear, Scott. We'll keep our eyes open. It didn't have the engine in?

--------------------
Darrell Wheeler
-------------------
WBR Graphics
King RAT Motorsports
PBC Automotive
Meathead Racing

skrzastek

quote:
Originally posted by DW:
Sorry to hear, Scott. We'll keep our eyes open. It didn't have the engine in?

No motor, the car had a 1.8 swapped in it when I got it. My car was the lucky winner of being the first one through the door (as I was going to pick it up tomorrow......)

--------------------
#91 SSM

Jerry Cabe Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Cincy / Great Lakes Div
Car #: 10
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jerry Cabe   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Great, now I'm going to have everyone looking at my blue car and wondering.

Sorry to hear about the loss. Any photos taken during any portion of the build that might give some unique feature (like cage construction)? Did the car come with a title when you purchased it (should contain VIN).

Jerry

--------------------
Just driving SM until the F-1 car is ready.

skrzastek

car as been found, totally destroyed

--------------------
#91 SSM

Blake Thompson Verified Driver
Now The Fastest "Blake" in Spec Miata

Region: Central
Car #: 97
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Blake Thompson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

How exactly do you destroy a car with no engine and a full cage?

--------------------
http://btdtracing.com - YOUR Miata Parts Pimp

Steven Holloway Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Blue Eyes, Aquarius, hates being squeezed to the grass in SowDiv!

Region: Lonestar
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Steven Holloway     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

That really sucks!!! Is their Insurance going to cover anything, or are they saying the old "Autos have seperate coverage" BS?

--------------------
If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's got electrical problems.

skrzastek

Torched, along with a couple of others. The car was not insured, and the shop had signs everywhere stating that it is no responsible for lost/stolen items. I'll cross that bridge tomorrow

--------------------
#91 SSM

Jon Pressman Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
..driver for hire..

Region: WDC
Car #: 87
SMIM: racerJRP
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jon Pressman     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

why the hell would someone go through all that trouble just to torch it? Idiots.

--------------------
SSM #87 MARRS
--2007 ARRC SSM Champion--

Windsorcustoms.com

MFJackson Verified Driver

Car #: 55
Icon 1 posted  Profile for MFJackson     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Tough luck man, I hope this shop has some balls and makes things right.

--------------------
Matt Jackson
#55 SSM
MEATHEAD Racing
www.meatheadracing.com

SamBarnett Verified Driver
Veteran Member

Region: NASA MA / SCCA CCR
Car #: 6
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for SamBarnett   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Sorry to hear about that bad luck. I hope the shop had insurance and gets you taken care of!

Now would be a good time to remind everyone to look into race car insurance. It doesn't cover you on track but it covers the car in storage, in transit, and in the paddock. I got mine from Heacock and the premium is $500 per year for $20,000 agreed value.

http://www.heacockclassic.com

--------------------
Race Engineering - Championship Winning Engines
Carbotech Performance Brakes
CDOC

Steve D. Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Once you get past the gag reflex, the jelly ain't bad!

Region: Atlanta
Car #: 30
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Steve D.     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Sam -

That pile? $20,000? Did you pay $13,000 for your Thornton motor? [Big Grin]

Scott -

Sorry to hear about the car. Hopefully something can be salvaged from it!

Steve D.

Brandon Bunkley Verified Driver

Car #: 99 SSM
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Brandon Bunkley     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by skrzastek:
........the shop had signs everywhere stating that it is no responsible for lost/stolen items. I'll cross that bridge tomorrow

I would have thought that it implies about items in the car and not the whole car? ie....stero,radar detector,or something along those lines. I would be interested if they make things right or not.

Sorry to hear about this.

--------------------
Brandon Bunkley

Henderson Racing

Konstruct Tubes

http://www.konstruktubes.com

Blake Thompson Verified Driver
Now The Fastest "Blake" in Spec Miata

Region: Central
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Blake Thompson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by SamBarnett:
Sorry to hear about that bad luck. I hope the shop had insurance and gets you taken care of!

Now would be a good time to remind everyone to look into race car insurance. It doesn't cover you on track but it covers the car in storage, in transit, and in the paddock. I got mine from Heacock and the premium is $500 per year for $20,000 agreed value.

http://www.heacockclassic.com

I believe it's $500 premium up to $50,000, I was talking to them and they pretty much agreed to cover my rig, spares, equipment and racecar to and from the track and in paddock at that price.

--------------------
http://btdtracing.com - YOUR Miata Parts Pimp

Veteran Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for SamBarnett   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Would it make you feel better or worse knowing that a $7000 car beat your twice in one weekend? LOL

Why don't you just accept that it's $20k, that way it won't hurt so much :-)

quote:
Originally posted by Steve D.:
Sam -

That pile? $20,000? Did you pay $13,000 for your Thornton motor? [Big Grin]

Steve D.

--------------------
CDOC

Steve D. Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Once you get past the gag reflex, the jelly ain't bad!

Region: Atlanta
Car #: 30
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Steve D.     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by SamBarnett:
Would it make you feel better or worse knowing that a $7000 car beat your twice in one weekend? LOL

Why don't you just accept that it's $20k, that way it won't hurt so much :-)

Whaddya say we just have a rematch in Ohio? [yep] I'd whup you at MY home track, but then you'd have to wait for the ARRC.

Is mid-September open on your calendar? [Big Grin]

Steve D.

Veteran Member

I say a rematch in Ohio is definitely in order. Sounds like a plan dude.

Just because I won't be running a restrictor plate doesn't mean you don't have to by the way :-)

[ 07-22-2008, 10:24 PM: Message edited by: SamBarnett ]

--------------------
CDOC

Bob Thornton - Race Engineering Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber. - Sir Winston Churchill

Region: Central Carolina
Car #: 48
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Bob Thornton - Race Engineering   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Restrictor plate! Who needs a restrictor plate? [Big Grin]

--------------------
Bob Thornton
http://www.raceengineering.org
Race Engineering Championship Winning Engines

Jfornachon Verified Driver

Region: socal
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jfornachon     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Well I am glad they found your car, but sad to hear that they found it like that. It hurts me to see any miata damaged much less victomized. It sounds like a disgruntled customer or some nervous compatition in your area. I hope the shop makes it right. Is there any thing that is salvagable off the car? You might be able to get the ins. payout and buy the car back. Then you can overnught parts form Japan if you have to and you will be back up and running in no timw.

Tomarrow will be a better day,
Jared

skrzastek

UPDATE: I have a check in hand from the shop owner which covered what I had in the car (plus a little over....) On the down side, I am now many months behind in my Spec build, so I am currently in the market for a build Spec Miata (or close to completed car)

--------------------
#91 SSM

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: