Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » National Auto Sport Association » NASA Northeast » New Guy Checking In

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: New Guy Checking In
Cole

Region: Philly
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Cole     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'm new to the game. Searching for my donor car, and planning my build. Got the money said aside and looking ready to have some fun.

Bucks County, PA guy.

--------------------
Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.

- Steve McQueen, Le Mans

Steve D. Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Once you get past the gag reflex, the jelly ain't bad!

Region: Atlanta
Car #: 30
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Steve D.     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Cole:
Got the money said aside ...

Double it! [Big Grin]

Welcome! I'll start off with some unsolicited advice: buy a car that is already built unless this is your 2nd, 3rd or 4th race car and you know exactly what you want.

I'd be happy to share my build sheet for the '99 I built over the winter. Then look at what you can buy one for...

Kind of depressing, but the car is exactly as I wanted it (except for the dents I now have in both doors).

Steve D.

Mark de Regt Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: NWR/Oregon; ICSCC
Car #: 70
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mark de Regt   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Welcome, Cole.

I will offer the counter advice from my colleague in Atlanta. There are benefits, and detriments, either way, whether you build or buy. If you build, you can make it exactly as you want it; it will fit you, and have the things you consider important. If you do the build, you will know your car very, very well, and you can decide exactly what you think should be replaced with new parts and what parts don't need replacing.

If you buy someone else's car, you will get a car ready to go (presumably...), for a price that should be considerably less than the cost of building your own. But you also will be buying a car with unknown problems, which has been raced hard, and might have been put away wet on more than one occasion. You probably will spend a good deal of money over the first couple of years of ownership replacing worn out parts (I certainly have).

I firmly believe that, if you're in this for the long haul, there is not a large difference, over time, in the cost of buying vs. building. There are other tradeoffs, but long-term cost isn't one of them, IMO.

I am perfectly happy with having purchased another racer's used car, since he's a good guy and the car was ready to race immediately. My son is perfectly happy with having built his own.

Richard Pressman Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: WDC
Car #: 87
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Richard Pressman     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

My son and I built his car. It was a great experience. We both learned a ton about the car. Three to four years ago the build cost us less than $10K including $3K for the donor/hardtop - and he finished top ten in points in WDC Region that first year.

It can be done.

Go for it.

BTW, we're from Cherry Hill. Any help or questions just ask.

Cole

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Cole     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thanks for the warm welcome.

My friend and I have built a couple of cars together, and he's an old open wheel racer and has built a bunch of track cars in his day. This would be our first SM though.

I'm fortunate to have a family of mechanics and welders, and sometimes building the car is as much fun as driving it. OK, maybe that's a stretch . . . but it is a great part of the whole game.

The note about long run costs between buying and building not being all that different rings pretty true to me.

I am a tall guy, so a lot of other people's cars will not be race-ready for me without some refitting. Don't get me wrong, if a car that fit me came up at the right price, I'd jump on it.

--------------------
Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.

- Steve McQueen, Le Mans

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Steve D.     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Cole:
Don't get me wrong, if a car that fit me came up at the right price, I'd jump on it.

You ought to look at Maki's car that Drago is selling (white 99 in classifieds). Maki's not tall, but they had to put the seat low and far back to leave room for his his cigar! [flamed]
[Big Grin]
Steve D.

Lance Snyder Made Donation to Website
Administrator

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Lance Snyder     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

That car is a good one, you would enjoy it. So what is Maki building now? A new 99 with him in the backseat so he can have a longer cigar?

--------------------
All this has happened before, and will happen again

Cole

Icon 7 posted  Profile for Cole     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Great, so I pay $24k for a car with stogie-stink?

[Smile]

The car sounds great, but a little more than I'd like to spend.

--------------------

- Steve McQueen, Le Mans

Lance Snyder Made Donation to Website
Administrator

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Lance Snyder     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

But it's not just ANY stogie-stink, it's the Maki stogi-stink... can't top that history!

--------------------
All this has happened before, and will happen again

quote:
Originally posted by Lance Snyder:
can't top that history!

...bordering on 'provenance.' [Razz]

Steve D.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: