Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » National Auto Sport Association » NASA Southeast » NASA FL Homestead December 12-13 for $200

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: NASA FL Homestead December 12-13 for $200
John A - 5X Racing Verified Driver
www.5xracing.com

Region: NASA FL / CFR SCCA
Car #: 25
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for John A - 5X Racing   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

SM Racers,

Come join us for the 2009 NASA FL season finale down at Homestead Miami Speedway on December 12-13. There will be plenty of track time, and did you know the entry fee if only $200 for the whole weekend!
As you might know from my other post, myself and my newly formed SM Director Group are working to make the NASA FL Spec Miata Series a viable option to SCCA SM racing in Florida. We all know and love the SCCA, but are there some things that frustrate you and would like to do differently if you had the chance? Here is our chance.

Meet up with the SM Director group for NASA FL down at Homestead and we can hash out a plan for next season. The directors of the region are giving us the go ahead to do what we need to do to get this class rolling, and we can use the help of all of the FL Spec Miata racers out there.

Here are some important details and links for signing up to race with us:

NASA FL Event Info Page
Event Registration Page

SCCA License Holders Checklist:
-Head and Neck Restraint
-Center net
-NASA Logbook (please be proactive and get your logbook before the event using this link to get your logbook)
-Register for the event and get your NASA Membership at the same time by using this link. If you are not a NASA member, the membership will be automatically added to your Shopping Cart. No extra steps necessary!
-Acquire a NASA 13 month license after you have registered by sending an email to Dave Ho at: nasadaveho@yahoo.com with "13 Month Racing License" in the title. Tell him you are an SCCA Licensed racer and want to get the 13 month license for the event at Homestead. He will instruct you on what you need to provide, and he will set you up with the license for December and it will be good all the way to next December.

If I am missing anything or you have any questions please reply here or email me at: 5xracing@gmail.com

--------------------
John Adamczyk

Owner: 5X Racing Online Race Shop
Driver: Team 5X Racing #25 Spec Miata
NASA FL Race Director
Race Engineering Powered 1.6

Jamie Tucker Series Champ

ARRC 2010 Champ

Region: CFR
Car #: 97
Year : 1990/99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jamie Tucker     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Are you going to split the race group or are you still running all together?
Thanks

--------------------
2010 ARRC Champion
2010 CFR Champion
2010 instigator of the year
2010/2011 Andrew Von C Wingman

Gatoratty Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Central Florida
Car #: 3
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

What decals need to be on the car?

--------------------
Paul McLester

www.5xracing.com

Icon 1 posted  Profile for John A - 5X Racing   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Jamie Tucker:
Are you going to split the race group or are you still running all together?
Thanks

This is the last race with one race group, in January at the start of the 2010 season there will be two race groups. One will be a small bore group that would be dominated by SM's if we get the car counts up.
I don't think they have too many cars racing with NASA FL right now, so I don't imagine the one group being too much of an issue.

It'd be cool if you could make it out Jamie, I am sure you could provide some good ideas to make the class a more interesting option for FL racers.

--------------------
John Adamczyk

NASA FL Race Director

www.5xracing.com

quote:
Originally posted by Gatoratty:
What decals need to be on the car?

Paul,

All you need is a set of NASA decals, which will be available at the race, and the NASA rules want the car number on the back of the car as well. I would not stress about the small details too much though, this is going to be a laid back fun weekend. Hope you can make it!

--------------------
John Adamczyk

NASA FL Race Director

www.5xracing.com

Thought I would share this bit of info from the NASA FL newsletter about getting your NASA license:

"NASA competition licenses are valid only for the calendar year/race season in which the license is purchased. NASA competition licenses that are now current will expire on Dec 31, 2009 and a license renewal fee will due for the start of the 2010 calendar year and race season. With only one race weekend left in the 2009 NASA FL race season, we have been given special permission from NASA headquarters to offer racers from other organizations who are currently unlicensed with NASA to purchase a "13 month NASA competition license" valid from Dec 1, 2009 through Dec 2010 for $90 in order to take part in the December 12-13 race weekend and the entire 2010 NASA race season for one special fee. To get this optionů.WRITE "13 month license" on the top of the NASA competition license application to be charged and processed accordingly. Please allow 10 days license processing time in advance of the December event."

That makes it a little more clear than I did, once again the contact at NASA headquarters for licensing is Dave Ho if you have any further questions.

--------------------
John Adamczyk

NASA FL Race Director

www.5xracing.com

Just wanted to remind everyone that the entry fee is going to be $200 for the whole weekend, and there is a TON of track time to be had. This is practically an enduro but without calling it that. Here is what kind of sessions we are looking at:

Sat: 30 min practice, 25 min qualifying, 55 minute race
Sun: 25 min qualifying, 40 minute race, 45 minute race

That is 2 hours 20 minutes of race time and 1 hour 20 minutes of practice/qualifying time, which is 3 hours 40 minutes of track time for the weekend!! All for $200 entry fee.

I have to honestly point out that those that do not have their NASA licenses or memberships will have to purchase the credentials as well. This is how that will shake out:

NASA Membership: $45 (included a subscription to Grassroots Motorsports)
NASA 13 month Comp License: $90 (good from Dec 09 to the end of Dec 10)

So, this is a one time fee of $135 for your NASA credentials, which makes the total cost for a NON NASA racer $335 for the weekend. If you are a NASA racer already you are all set to go for $200. For $335 you are still getting more track time for your money than you are used to, I know it's more than I am used to!

Time is winding down to get your licenses, please reference the previous posts for membership and license info for those that do not have it. This is the last chance in 2009 to race in the best weather Florida has to offer. If you cannot make it, please check us out for the 2010 season as the new NASA FL SM group is making some exciting new things happen to Spec Miata racing in Florida. We are breaking away from the traditional SCCA racing mold and are always open to suggestions from all of you on what you would like to see if you were to run your own SM series.

--------------------
John Adamczyk

NASA FL Race Director

www.5xracing.com

Time is running out for the $200 registration, December 1st is the deadline and will be here soon. Here is the link to the registration page again: https://www.nasaproracing.com/event/996

With the Regional Director of NASA FL offering $100 back out of his pockets to unsatisfied racers after 3 weekends to cover the costs of getting a NASA license there is some great incentive here.

For $200 it's a pretty good deal, you cannot even do an open track or test day for that price. The cost per track time ratio is great as well if you have not read my post above.

--------------------
John Adamczyk

NASA FL Race Director

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

John

Part of the problem may be the dates. PRI is thru Saturday and the CFR annual meeting is Fri-Sun.

--------------------
Paul McLester

www.5xracing.com

quote:
Originally posted by Gatoratty:
John

Part of the problem may be the dates. PRI is thru Saturday and the CFR annual meeting is Fri-Sun.

It could be, I am going to try an attend the PRI show on Thursday and the race fri-sun. I don't know about the CFR meeting and how many sm racers attend that. Either way I hope some people are able to make it down. I don't think the car counts are high for any race at Homestead, so I am not expecting guys to flock down there.

I will encourage everyone to keep an eye on the 2010 schedule, especially the NASA SE guys as we are going to be running a format almost identical to their weekends starting in January.

--------------------
John Adamczyk

NASA FL Race Director

www.5xracing.com

I am pleased to announce that Phil from Phil's Tire Service has offered a Special on Toyo RA-1 tires in support of our NASA FL December 12-13 Homestead Race.

The price is very generous, please give him a call at 845-647-7407 with the code: FTW3 to find out the details of the deal.

--------------------
John Adamczyk

NASA FL Race Director

cpdenis
Good Life Member

Region: 11
Car #: 09
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for cpdenis     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

John does this mean we can run either tire, R-888 or RA-1's.
I'm already registered and wanted to know how many are already registered for the class?
Thanks

www.5xracing.com

Yeah, either tire is going to be fine for this event being that it is the last one in the 2009 season and we are really just looking to have a car count. I figure everybody has leftover 888's too that need to be burned off before they are obsolete.

I still have not gotten word on how many are registered, I will ask again and let you know.

Thanks for registering, it should be a good time with tons of seat time!

--------------------
John Adamczyk

NASA FL Race Director

www.5xracing.com

quote:
Originally posted by cpdenis:
John does this mean we can run either tire, R-888 or RA-1's.
I'm already registered and wanted to know how many are already registered for the class?
Thanks

Carl,

There are 6 cars registered as of now, encourage some friends to come down and race!

We need some more racers, I think 10 would make for a good field with plenty of racing room.

Thanks for signing up, I will see you down there.

--------------------
John Adamczyk

NASA FL Race Director

Mitch Taylor

Region: FLA
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mitch Taylor     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

John,

Trying to get all my ducks in a row for this event. I spoke to Barbara and she is getting me my license this week. My car has a SCCA log book but not a NASA book. Barbara said you could help? I am in south palm beach county so not close to your shop.

I been doing TT/HPDE and PCA instruction, this would be my first race so any help would be appreciated.

Mitch Taylor
MLTCPA@bellsouth.net

www.5xracing.com

Mitch,

I will send you an email and we can get you set up.

Thanks,
John

--------------------
John Adamczyk

NASA FL Race Director

www.5xracing.com

The first day of racing has come to a close, and the podium stood:

1st: Alex Bolanos
2nd: John Adamczyk
3rd: Tim Allen

It was a good day of racing with a lot more track time than I was used to, there was a 30 minute practice, 25 minute qualifier, and 55 minute race today. Mixed with the other race cars, we had over 40 cars racing, the SM count was 7 or 8 cars and although there were some really fast cars out there everyone stayed clear of each other for a dent free weekend (for once). Once traffic started lapping us, the gaps got stretched out a bit giving everyone some nice clean track to concentrate on turning some good lap times. Alex took home the big trophy and a brand new 5x Racing Blank License Plate for the win, along with $150 Toyo bucks it was a nice bonus to a flawless race day. Congrats to Alex and a big thanks to everyone for racing this weekend, I am looking forward to tomorrow!

--------------------
John Adamczyk

NASA FL Race Director

Danny Steyn Verified Driver

Region: SE
Car #: 39
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Danny Steyn   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Congrats Alex and John

wish I was there but someone has to soak up the sun on the Aussie gold coast. [yep]

and on a side note, Alex's victory is with this years setup for the '94!!! [Wink] . Heaven help us when he gets the new restrictor and gear ratios!!

with Daniels building a '94,and rumours of the other JD building one, the '94 might well be the COTY for 2010 [Smash]

just giving you a hard time Alex - you really drive the wheels of that car [thumbsup]

--------------------
Danny
http://www.dannysteyn.com
http://www.adeptstudios.com
OPM Autosports | Traqmate | Rossini Racing Engines
2010 June Sprints Champ, 2010 ARRC SMX Champ
2009 SARRC Champ, 2009 SEDiv ECR Champ, 2009 FES Champ
2008 SEDiv ECR Champ

www.5xracing.com

It was a good weekend of racing down at Homestead, we had a good group of racers enjoying the warm (almost too hot) weather and getting their cars set-up for next season. Here is how the two 40+ minute races ended up on Sunday (this is from memory, I have to wait for mylaps to come up for official results):

Sunday Race 2:

1st- John Adamczyk

Sunday Race 3:

1st- Alex Bolanos

I apologize for not remembering the official top 3, I know there was a penalty for passing under the yellow that dropped one of our guys out of the podium. I will fill in the rest when mylaps is out or if one of the guys that were racing can fill them in that would be great (Jim B?).

Weekend recap:

With this being the last NASA FL race with only one race group, I was a bit nervous about running with the super fast cars (a Daytona prototype was with us!). It turned out to be not too bad, and actually kind of fun as I saw the true potential of the Spec Miata racecar. With the exception of the Prototype cars, there was no car faster than the SM in the turns. On several occasions I found myself being slowed down by Ferrari Challenge cars, Corvettes, and Porsches in the turns.

Saturday's 55 minute Feature Race was grueling! I am not used to being in the car for that long, but it was excellent track time and I became very comfortable with the course and my reference points. Alex Bolanos extended a sizable lead when we got into the traffic, and kept it until the end. I finished second, and Tim Allen was thrilled to finish third. Everyone claimed a trophy, beer, and pizza at the awards ceremony after the days racing.

Sunday's racing consisted of a qualifying, 40 minute race, and a 45 minute race. Alex's car ended up sidelined with transmission problems, so he missed the qualifying session but had secured a back up SM car from a time trial competitor for the race. I secured pole for race 2 alongside CP Denis, and Alex had to start a lap down because of a freak Battery cut-off switch problem. Alex exited pit lane right into the fight for 1st place on the second lap, but unfortunately he was a lap down at this point. There was a great battle for most of the race, but with traffic entering the equation it spread things out towards the end and I chased Alex across the finish line to come home in 1st.

Race 3 was the last of the weekend, and the front row consisted of myself and Bruce Andersen. Alex again started in the back because we gridded using the race 2 results. Race 3 was more tame and spread out, with Alex chasing me in his back up car for most of the race until I ran out of gas (should have put 1 more gallon in!). After a late race spin by Alex, Bruce Andersen and Alex had a battle until the end, with Alex coming out on top and Bruce securing second.

It was a great weekend and I would like to thank everyone for coming out. I met some great new friends and had good times, I hope everyone can make our 2010 events and we can continue the fun. NASA FL is a class act and very professional, it felt like a pro race being inside the Speedway and having our Saturday Night awards ceremony in victory lane! It was flattering having your name announced, being applauded, and receiving a trophy in a place where some world famous racers have once received trophies as well. We will have our own group next season and we can really hone this series into what will be best for us Spec Miata racers. Everyone did a good job on track and I would like to mention all of the participants that helped make this a great weekend:

Jim Blaisdell
Mitch Taylor
Tim Allen
Alex Bolanos
Bruce Andersen Sr
Bruce Andersen Jr
CP Denis

I enjoyed meeting you all and competing with you, I hope I did a good job as SM Director and please let me know if there is anything else you would like to suggest to make this series better. I would like to personally thank Jim for helping me all weekend and making a busy weekend easier, and Mitch for inviting us for all you can eat stone crabs in the Keys Saturday night.

Next race: January 9-10 2010 at Homestead (Full road course, no banks). This race is a great, laid back alternative to the Double National at Sebring, email me if you are interested and need help signing up.

--------------------
John Adamczyk

NASA FL Race Director

John that car was the new Riley track day car that was featured in Grassroots Motorsports even though it looks like a Daytona Prototype. They had it on display at PRI as it is the only one they have built and sold.

--------------------
Paul McLester

Mitch Taylor

Region: FLA
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mitch Taylor     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Gatoraaty, is correct is was a Riley, I did not get to see what the power was, but the car could be placed almost any place on the track going into a turn with no problem.

John thanks for coordinating the weekend and the help. Jim and the rest of the sm racers are a fun crew plenty of laughs and good times. Lots of competition, the class is great. Looking fwd to more seat time.

$196,000 plus options....you can understand why they have sold just one.

--------------------
Paul McLester

NASA Florida

Region: Florida Region of NASA
Car #: 711
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for NASA Florida   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Great write-up John. The MyLaps results have been uploaded. Search for "NASA Florida", or try this link:
http://www.mylaps.com/results/showevent.jsp?id=498041
(The link went to 2 lines, you may have to copy and paste both lines to your browser)?

It was great meeting you guys, and I was glad to hear you had a good time.

You're doing a great job, John, and our $200/weekend for Spec Miata drivers goes through August, 2010. After that, rates will go to our just reduced rates for EVERYONE THAT RACES WITH US to $275 for the whole weekend for the rest of the year! The Social Hour with Free Pizza, and yes, all the COLD Beer and beverages you can handle will continue after the awards ceremony on Saturday.

The 2010 POINTS RACE for the 2010 CHAMPIONSHIP starts with the January 9 & 10 event, so start getting those points EARLY! Registration will open soon, and we will make an announcement at that time (hopefully tomorrow or Wednesday (Dec. 15 or 16). Please register early for the best rate (Rates go up for everyone 2 weeks before the event). If you register early, and can't make the race we will credit your registration to a future event at no additional charge.

Thanks again, John.

Steve Nix
Regional Director
NASA Florida

[QUOTE]Originally posted by John A - 5x Racing:
[QB] ......Here is how the two 40+ minute races ended up on Sunday (this is from memory, I have to wait for mylaps to come up for official results):

Sunday Race 2:

1st- John Adamczyk

Sunday Race 3:

1st- Alex Bolanos

I apologize for not remembering the official top 3, I know there was a penalty for passing under the yellow that dropped one of our guys out of the podium. I will fill in the rest when mylaps is out or if one of the guys that were racing can fill them in that would be great (Jim B?).

Jim Blaisdell

Region: 83
Car #: 65
Year : 1994
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jim Blaisdell     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Sat. 55min. Feature race
1st Alex B.
2nd John A.
3rd Tim A.

Sun. 40min.
1st John A.
2nd Bruce A.
3rd CP Denis

Sun. 45min. race 2
1st Alex B.
2nd Bruce A.
3rd Jim B.

Alex and John were in the 49-50's all weekend. Alex still pulled those times in a borrowed car on sunday. John got within 2tenths of Alex, great for his first time to Homestead...watch out Alex [Smile]

Besides all that, I was one the best times I've had at any race weekend. Between all of us pitting together, racing, helping/wrenching, and hanging out(boys will be boys)buffonery.
And, NASA podium awards, Sat. social, Toyo bucks and a decent crowd on hand to watch us race...

This was my first NASA event and I'm very optimistic about the future of NASA SM in FL. John A. has helped alot(in just a short time) in the direction of this. I'm glad to be helping out...

Anyway, we will be back at Homestead in Jan. 9-10, it's the start of the points series. I know that some of you will attending the Sebring National that same week, but there are alot of you SM racers who don't have a national lic....So, why sit out that weekend? Or, have no seat-time in the month of Jan. at all. Come on down to Homestead and have some fun...

--------------------
Jim Blaisdell
NASA FL Spec Miata Series Director
5XRacing Team Driver

www.5xracing.com

Thanks for the accolades everyone! It was a good time and I hope some more guys come out to the January 9-10 event at Homestead to see what we have going here, I assure you that it is a good time and there was not an unhappy SM racer at our past event, even running with the big cars (which was the last time, we are now split between big bore and small bore just like NASA Southeast). With the way the results shook out, everyone in the field qualified for and accumulated Toyo bucks towards new tires, which made everyone happy and was pretty cool. If you raced and did not get your bucks signed off, please email me personally and I will get you set up.

Thanks again to everyone that attended, and to Steve and Barbara for listening to us with open minds. You were more than kind to us and we all had a great time.

We'll be at the January event with our two cars, jump in with us and see how much fun we are having!

--------------------
John Adamczyk

NASA FL Race Director

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: