Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » National Auto Sport Association » NASA Southeast » NASA FL Homestead Jan 9-10th

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: NASA FL Homestead Jan 9-10th
John A - 5X Racing Verified Driver
www.5xracing.com

Region: NASA FL / CFR SCCA
Car #: 25
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for John A - 5X Racing   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The first race in the 2010 NASA FL Spec Miata Challenge at Homestead/Miami Speedway is coming up faster than we are ready for on January 9-10th 2010. I know there is a big National SCCA race going on at Sebring the same weekend, but not all of you out there have national licenses or do not want to pay the big bucks for the double event. We had a blast at the December race at Homestead, and I would like to encourage new drivers and our established NASA racers to come on back for some more fun down south!

We are making some important changes for the 2010 NASA FL Spec Miata Challenge season, here are the facts:

Fact 1:
New consistent Race Groupings. For the 2010 season we have made the change to two separate race groups, big horsepower cars will be in a group of their own and small horsepower cars will be in their own group. So, two race groups to keep it easy. The small car group will consist of: Spec Miata's, Spec E30's, Porsche 944's, Honda Challenge cars, and a couple of other cars with similar speed capabilities. It will be identical to the groupings that NASA Southeast uses, they call it Thunder and Lightning. There are not many of these other cars, so Spec Miata's will most likely have the track to themselves.

Fact 2:
New Race Formats. We are changing the weekend race format for the 2010 season to a easier to follow format that many of you might be familiar with in the scca. I, like most of you, have always been a fan of the SARRC series with its 30 minute races. Double SARRC weekends are always the easiest weekends to attend format wise, Q1, R1, Q2, R2. Simple. We are doing one better, ALL of our weekends are going to be double weekends, with this schedule:

Practice 1
Qualifying 1
Race 1
Qualifying 2
Race 2

Our races will be 30-35 minutes in length, and practice and qualifying sessions will most likely be 15-20 minutes in length. The practice session on saturday will allow you to get the cobwebs out and not have to go post a qualifying time in your first session on track. Some events might even have a practice session for sundays races, which allows for setup changes and experimentation. This is a successful format, and we intend to hone and perfect it if needed as the season progresses.

Established Championship Structure:
Championship structures can be confusing at times, ours is simple. Every weekend is a double weekend with both races being points races. You accumulate points towards the season championship total. With 8 race weekends in a season, there will be a total of 16 races to accumulate points towards winning a championship. We are working on planning a season ending championship race, which would be worth more than a regular race points wise. That's it! Just like a pro series, if you are able to attend 8 race weekends a year you will be a serious championship contender.

Contingencies:
NASA has some serious contingencies in place for spec miata racers, and some cash can be made to supplement all of this money we spend on our hobby. Do not be confused by regional/national division races, ALL NASA races are considered National races, there are no "regional only" races. Every Spec Miata Challenge Race follows the national rule book, no funky tire rules here. Here is what is up for grabs for ALL NASA FL races:

Toyo Tire Contingency:
In spec miata races with 5 or more cars, Toyo bucks that can be redeemed towards the purchase of Toyo tires with any Toyo dealer will be awarded in this order:
1st= $150
2nd= $100
3rd= $75
4th= $50
5th= $25
So, win two races and go home with $300 worth of Toyo bucks! Everyone was eligible for Toyo bucks at our last race.

Mazdaspeed Contingency:
This contingency is for the season ending championship points, finish in this order and get this much cash:
1st= $1000
2nd= $750
3rd= $500
4th= $250
5th= $150
That's some decent cash for running 8 weekends a year!

5x Racing is also working on a cash payout contingency for the championship, or as a race to race basis. We also are planning give out special prizes at the Saturday night awards ceremony to random participants, not just winners. Alex Bolanos received a prize for winning the feature race last event, we plan to mix up the awards for future races (hard charger, rookie award, fastest lap award, etc...) There are other contingencies that I am not going to list, all of this info is available here: NASA Contingencies

Racer representation:
This class is run by us! We make the class decisions, we run compliance, we make sure everyone is getting along with each other and the play is fair. As long as you don't do something that race control penalizes you for, we can most likely handle it within the confines of the trailers in the paddock like gentlemen.

My assistants and I are working hard to make this an appealing Series for Spec Miata racers in Florida, so give us the benefit of the doubt and try racing with us this season, not one person had a bad time at our last event, and that was our first race with NASA FL and as the new Directors!

Registration is open here for $199:
https://www.nasaproracing.com/event/1018

--------------------
John Adamczyk

Owner: 5X Racing Online Race Shop
Driver: Team 5X Racing #25 Spec Miata
NASA FL Race Director
Race Engineering Powered 1.6

Mitch Taylor

Region: FLA
Car #: 97
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mitch Taylor     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

John,

Had a great time last event, shopping for a new car trailers as we speak to get in on this event. Sent you an Email did not hear back on the 5x stuff, mltcpa@bellsouth.net. I think I need another window vent for my passanger side. They are great items.

www.5xracing.com

Icon 1 posted  Profile for John A - 5X Racing   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Mitch,

Get a Uhaul if you have too! We need to go back to Ballyhoo's for some Stone Crabs and more stories of Eric the Great in Bimini!

I emailed you back, maybe it did not make it through to your inbox. I will resend it.

I will get you another vent window for the other side and bring it down.

--------------------
John Adamczyk

NASA FL Race Director

cpdenis
Good Life Member

Region: 11
Car #: 09
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for cpdenis     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

John, what I really enjoyed was the track time offered, I would suggest or like to see 2 to 2 1/2 hours of track time for the entire weekend.
20 Min Practice each day.
20 Min Qualifying each day.
30-40 min race each day.
Given that the clock starts when the first car rolls out, it would give you the chance in practice and qualifying to come in for an adjustment and a solid 30 minutes of racing.
As far as the last race meeting at Homestead, does the contingency apply to all and each of the races?
CP

www.5xracing.com

CP,

While the track time was great at the last event, it was that way because we were combined with all other race cars, we did not have separate groups. The new format will allow us to be in a group with cars of similar speeds, and with more track time than the typical scca weekend, so it is a win/win in my opinion. I noticed that we had some racers skip practice, qualifying, or go home before the last race on Sunday, they did not even utilize all the track time available to us. So with that in mind I believe the last event was maybe too much track time for the casual racer. This seems like an ideal format to me, as most people are not prepared to run enduro like track times on every weekend and are used to a format similar to the SARRC series or NASA SE races.

We will be real close to 2 hours of track time a weekend with the new format anyways, if not a little more once we get used to it and become more efficient at scheduling the weekend.

The contingencies applied to all of the races last event, there was quite a bit of Toyo bucks given out. You weren't there at the end of Sundays races, so I was not able to go over that with you. Please email me at: john@5xracing.com and I will go over it with you.

Are you in for the next race at Homestead? It is $199 and will be the first race for the 2010 season championship. There are contingencies available for season ending points from Mazda too, don' miss out on that cash!

--------------------
John Adamczyk

NASA FL Race Director

www.5xracing.com

The race schedules are up for the January 9-10th Homestead NASA FL Spec Miata Challenge races. The track time is very generous given our new format, we are still getting over 2 hours of track time for the weekend. Here is what we have set-up:

Saturday Jan 9th
15 minute Practice
20 minute Qualifying
30 minute Race

Sunday Jan 10th
25 minute Qualifying
40 minute Race

ALSO, we have talked the race directors into putting our group (Lightning) out earlier so we can get home earlier. You might be happy to know we will be done by 3pm on Saturday and on Sunday we will be done at 2pm! This is important to a lot of us, especially me as I am suppose to work on Sunday nights!

PLEASE SIGN UP BEFORE JANUARY 1ST TO GET THE $199 PRICE!!!

I hope we can get some more cars out there this race, we had a good showing last time and with our new run group there will be a lot of open track for the Miata's to play!

Let me know if there are any more questions/concerns.

--------------------
John Adamczyk

NASA FL Race Director

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: