Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » National Auto Sport Association » NASA Southeast » VIR March Memories WOW a 1.6 won

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: VIR March Memories WOW a 1.6 won
Mike C Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
MegaModerator

Region: WDCR - 042
Car #: 75
Year : 93 & 95 & 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mike C   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

WOW a 1.6 won the VIR March Memories race against the likes of Danny Steyn and Jason Owenby. They must not be that competitive.

--------------------
Mike Collins
MEATHEAD Racing
http://www.SHEETZ.com
The MEATHEAD Racing 2010 Calendar is up!!!!
www.MEATHEADRacing.com
SMAC Member
WDCR-SCCA SM Drivers Rep.
ALL OPINIONS ON RULES OR SPECIFICATIONS ARE JUST THAT, MY OPINIONS!

MegaModerator

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mike C   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

PS - It was also on the pole!

--------------------
Mike Collins
MEATHEAD Racing
www.MEATHEADRacing.com
SMAC Member

Danny Steyn Verified Driver

Region: SE
Car #: 39
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Danny Steyn   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Congrats to Alex Gaines. Yes that 1.6 of his is REALLY STRONG, and he drove one hell of a race.

VIR is an uphill / downhill track and you would expect that the '99s torque would be a major factor, but there was no perceptible difference between our cars.

Our qualifying and race times across the various events were all within 2/10ths of each other.

My new car needs some work - still shaking out the bugs.

On the bright side, we did get pole for both the CCPS and the ECR, plus the win in the CCPS, and we also got FRL in the SARRC, but a DNF put paid to any points and we were not able to do the ECR.

Will post pics of car in a new thread - Fowler did the most amazing build ever - you have to see this car.

--------------------
Danny
http://www.dannysteyn.com
http://www.adeptstudios.com
OPM Autosports | Traqmate | Rossini Racing Engines
2010 June Sprints Champ, 2010 ARRC SMX Champ
2009 SARRC Champ, 2009 SEDiv ECR Champ, 2009 FES Champ
2008 SEDiv ECR Champ

SamBarnett Verified Driver
Veteran Member

Region: NASA MA / SCCA CCR
Car #: 6
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for SamBarnett   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Congratulations to Alex Gaines for the SARRC win in his Race Engineering powered 1.6! Also not far behind was Jason Owenby in the Race Engineering powered 99!

Good job this weekend Danny. That new OPM build looked AMAZING. Can't wait till everyone sees the pics online. It's the cleanest and nicest looking SM I've ever seen. Kudos to Fowler and his crew on that beautiful build!

--------------------
Race Engineering - Championship Winning Engines
Carbotech Performance Brakes
CDOC

Drago Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: mid south
Car #: 2
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Danny Steyn:
you have to see this car.

Hoping to get a really good look in the rear view in a few weeks! [Big Grin] All Tom's cars are nice, I saw some pictures, while I don't like blue as much as charcoal, the car is very sharp!
Also, no far you shook your car down before Atlanta, I signed up for PRO IT, hopefully I can finish mine and sort there. I hate sorting a car 8 hours from home.
Jim

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com
2006-2007 Mid-West Division
07,09 June Sprints Champion

EAST STREET RACING

Mitch Reading Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Philadelphia
Car #: 65
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mitch Reading     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Danny, please post!

Mike, where did you guys finish?

--------------------
http://www.mitchum.ms

MegaModerator

I did not race. Steve Miller did very well until he got collected in the SARRC race. We have some cosmetic issues to fix on the car now. Ted Cahall spent all weekend learning the track so he would be ready for the SARCC/MARRS race next month. He had a new personal best in every session the entire weekend.

--------------------
Mike Collins
MEATHEAD Racing
www.MEATHEADRacing.com
SMAC Member

frank g Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: chattanooga
Icon 1 posted  Profile for frank g     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Speaking of 1.6 cars, I believe Tom Fowler drove Pete Bogart's 1.6 from last to first in his stint in the ECR. That 1.6 never looked so strong! It was nice to finally meet Pete B. -- not quite as old as me, but another senior having fun.

Also thanks to Bob Thorton for giving us some tips and putting up with my BS for an hour or so on Saturday between visiting all the Race Engineering powered cars. He really does provide service after the sale -- maybe some day...

By the way it was cold - mid 20's all three days, but at least it was sunny and dry.
Frank

Dan Tiley Verified Driver Series Champ
Are you followin' me, camera guy???

Region: SEDIV
Car #: 33
Year : Whatever's Available!
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dan Tiley     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Definitely good times for us this weekend. Temps were cool and it seemed that 2:19's were the price of admission to see the front of the pack. Congrats to Danny on the CCPS win and to Alex for his 1.6L win in the SARRC. You could've thrown a blanket over the top three cars in the SARRC race. Awesome race to watch! Bob has definitely got his 1.6L program tuned up this year!

Thanks a ton to Jason Owenby for letting me use his ride for my CCPS efforts this weekend. We had Sam Barnett's expert wrench in the pits, and the RE power was awesome.... we were a bit too tight in the race to give Danny the challenge he needed and ended up 2nd.

Thanks also to Mike Rossini for letting us use his welder to weld our subframe back together after a minor OCE ripped the front LCA point partially off on the test day. And as always, OPM bailed us out with their vast parts supplies, by lending us a caliper. Thanks Tom!

I left before the end of the ECR, but congrats to the winner(s) there as well! Hopefully we'll have our new TiˇSpeed Engineering/RE rocket ready for CCPS race #4 of the season.

--------------------
Dan Tiley

Sponsored by Race Engineering

Spec Miata's fastest and best supported engine program!

Bob Thornton - Race Engineering Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber. - Sir Winston Churchill

Region: Central Carolina
Car #: 48
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Bob Thornton - Race Engineering   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

It was a great weekend for Race Engineering Power and I enjoyed seeing everybody and hanging out. Owenby, Gaines, Fowler, Tiley, Bertok, Steynn, Peterson, and Safriet put on a heck of a show all weekend long.

OPM did a first class job with the new build for Danny Steynn. That car needs to be a museum it is so gorgeous.

Congratulations to all, and I will see everyone at CMP in a couple of weeks.

--------------------
Bob Thornton
http://www.raceengineering.org
Race Engineering Championship Winning Engines

Lance Snyder Made Donation to Website
Administrator

Region: Atlanta
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Lance Snyder     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by frank g:

Also thanks to Bob Thorton for giving us some tips and putting up with my BS for an hour or so

Congrats to you Frank for putting with Thornton for an hour plus, he must have given you some moonshine. [Razz]

--------------------
All this has happened before, and will happen again

Bob Thornton - Race Engineering Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber. - Sir Winston Churchill

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Bob Thornton - Race Engineering   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

LOL, Frank is a great guy and did I mention he likes to talk. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Bob Thornton

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Danny Steyn   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

And one more thing on the 1.6 SM's here in the SE. (and yes I have just built a '99 so you need to completely discount what I say!).....

In Sunday's ECR, Tom Fowler took Pete Bogart's old but not too tired 1.6 from dead last to first through the traffic and in the process ran the Fastest Race Lap against Owenby and others in some pretty fast 99's and 01's!!!!!

--------------------
Danny
2008 SEDiv ECR Champ

Weekend Warrior Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Racing to Cure ALS (Lou Gehrig's Disease)

Region: WDCR
Car #: 56 "Earl"
Year : 1990, 1999 soon to be SM
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Weekend Warrior   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Danny Steyn:
And one more thing on the 1.6 SM's here in the SE. (and yes I have just built a '99 so you need to completely discount what I say!).....

In Sunday's ECR, Tom Fowler .......

You can stop right there, enough said!

--------------------
http://www.olsinvestfinancial.com
http://www.alsinfo.org
http://www.weekendwarriorracing.com

Fowler can still wheel a race car. [thumbsup]

--------------------
Bob Thornton

Alex Gaines Verified Driver

Car #: 77
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Alex Gaines   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thanks for all the comments. I really want to thank Bob T. for all his help this winter with my car and for everyone else in the RE pits(Bertok, Tiley, Owenby, Barnett, and Anderson,). Bob spent a lot of his time on me with setup, car prep, and a few swift kicks in the ass to keep me motivated. It really paid off.
I got to drive a 01(Steve Bertoks) and my 1.6 this weekend, the 01 in the CCPS and my 1.6 in the SAARC. My times were only .2 seconds apart from each car. They both have their strengths and weaknesses. I guess the moral of the story is that as long as you have a golden eagle on your car it will be fast not matter what it is! [Smile]
And yes Steyn's car is beautiful. Tom did an awesome job. Thanks for the hot pink OPM stickers, the go great with camo

--------------------
2010 SARRC Champion
2010 13 Hours of VIR Champions
Race Engineering

Just want to give a shout out to John Peterson on a BIG win in the ECR. I think it's Johns first SM win, great job John! [thumbsup]

Phil Safriet also had his personal best weekend at VIR. Way to go Phil! [thumbsup]

--------------------
Bob Thornton

Jamie Tucker Series Champ

ARRC 2010 Champ

Region: CFR
Car #: 97
Year : 1990/99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jamie Tucker     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

That's great to hear!!! Sounds like one hell of a race. Congrats to everyone.

--------------------
2010 ARRC Champion
2010 CFR Champion
2010 instigator of the year
2010/2011 Andrew Von C Wingman

PEATMOSS

Region: BUCCANNEER #34
Car #: 46
Icon 1 posted  Profile for PEATMOSS     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

[thumbsup] Yes the 1.6's are alive and well. Alex Gaines did a great job of wheeling his to victory. And Tom Fowler drove mine from last to first, and turned in fastest race lap 2:20:3 or 4.Not bad for a 1.6 that just say action for the first time since RE built it. Bob says it not even broken in yet???
Thanks to Bob RE for the power and C. Bailey and Andrew Blasky for getting it ready. OPM for getting the kinks out and service!
Ever and older senior driver notice a big difference... Shift points were totally new. Nice!!! [thumbsup] If you need power no matter what you have See Bob @ RE!!!
With some more coaching from Danny Steyn, this older driver will get there. In the mean time it sure is a blast.
Just another thanks to mike collins and the MEATHEAD crew for helping with the Enduro! Another nice feature of competing in SM. [group hug] [thumbsup]

--------------------
PETER BOGART
REGION 34
"The home of Roebling Road"

Glenn Verified Driver

Region: CCR
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Glenn     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Graet to see all of my friends in the SE. TH
thanks Tom for allowing we meer MARRS folks to paddock so close. Rumor has it we will be in town early for the National, maybe we can save you a spot. LOL

Danny's car is AWESOME, Fowler out did himself on this build!!!!!!!!!

--------------------
Glenn
Crew chief Meathead Racing, NE Region Sales Division Race Engineering, The GOLD standard in SM engines, Occasional race slave for OPM Autosports

Glenn Verified Driver

Region: CCR
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Glenn     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

--------------------
Glenn
Crew chief Meathead Racing, NE Region Sales Division Race Engineering, The GOLD standard in SM engines, Occasional race slave for OPM Autosports

panic motorsports Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: SCR
Car #: 90
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for panic motorsports   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Big props and thanks to all the usual suspects under the tent. Bob's worked hard to get us great power, and not just one version. At some point there was a 1.6, a 99 and an 01 at the point of a race or top of the charts all weekend. You can't beat that kind of R&D. Thanks to Steyn for the words when even my slow ass ran right with him for a couple of laps [Wink] Had to settle for a couple of podiums since my high power co-drivers couldn't get me a big enough lead to waste! Funniest thing I heard this weekend "The birds are starting to circle!" as a literal flock of black shirts with gold birds on 'em converged on impound after one race or another. Great to see all you guys as usual, I'd say a quality weekend for everyone!

--------------------
Steve and Becca Bertok
#90 SM 2008/2009 Carolina Cup Pro Series SM champions.
2010 VIR 13 hour enduro victorious! www.panicmotorsports.com
Need a salvage Miata part? We've got that!

Mrs SpecHorsepower

Region: Southeast
Car #: 07
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mrs SpecHorsepower     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I just want to say CONGRATULATIONS to my awesome husband on his first win of the season! This win was very emotional for us because we have gone through so much the past year. He worked so hard on this car, so this really made all the work worth while. TOUGH WORK PAYS OFF. [Smash] [thumbsup]

ARRC 2010 Champ

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jamie Tucker     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Mrs SpecHorsepower:
I just want to say CONGRATULATIONS to my awesome husband on his first win of the season! This win was very emotional for us because we have gone through so much the past year. He worked so hard on this car, so this really made all the work worth while. TOUGH WORK PAYS OFF. [Smash] [thumbsup]

That's cool! [thumbsup]

--------------------
2010 ARRC Champion
2010 CFR Champion

Jarhead Made Donation to Website

Region: 34
Car #: 89,90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jarhead     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:

Pole dance, pole dance, pole dance..........

--------------------
Problem Solved/ReelScreensSE/RE Power

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Alex Gaines   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Jarhead:
quote:

Pole dance, pole dance, pole dance..........
Be careful. She is more likely to hit you in the head with that pole first! [Smash] [Smile]

[ 03-09-2010, 11:04 AM: Message edited by: Alex Gaines ]

--------------------
2010 SARRC Champion
Race Engineering

pat slattery Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: cincy
Car #: 79
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for pat slattery     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Good to see the 1.6 running fast!!

Pat

--------------------
keeping the faith for the 1.6

Arrow Karts

Brian Cates

Region: Washington, DC
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Brian Cates   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

You mean I can now bring out my 1.6 since they are suddenly fast again? [Confused]

I thought the experts all said it was impossible for a 1.6 to beat out a 99, or was that just at Atlanta?

I'm still confused, a 1.6 in the draft of one of the fastest 99's in the country goes a few hundreth's faster than the fastest 99 at the ARRC, that had no draft, and the 1.6 is deemed to have a close ratio gearbox, trick cams and who knows what else by all the so called experts, but now it's ok for a 1.6 to win against some well preparred 99's. [Big Grin]

B(Kuch) Kucera 45 Verified Driver
Veteran Member

Region: NeOh
Car #: 45
Icon 1 posted  Profile for B(Kuch) Kucera 45   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I just want to say good job to my little bro Ron Kucera.He finished 8th,not bad for his first time on the track! [thumbsup]

--------------------
Bob
!KUCH!

"All my drinking buddies have a racing problem"

darmstrong Verified Driver

Region: sediv
Car #: 66
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for darmstrong     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Alex,
I just hope your old spare motor is as quick in my car. Not likely with me behind the wheel anyway, but at least I will now know for sure what is holding me back. Nice meeting you @ CMP, and great job.

Dave Armstrong

quote:
Originally posted by darmstrong:
Alex,
I just hope your old spare motor is as quick in my car. Not likely with me behind the wheel anyway, but at least I will now know for sure what is holding me back. Nice meeting you @ CMP, and great job.

Dave Armstrong

Thanks Dave. Good luck this season. Nice to meet you as well.

--------------------
2010 SARRC Champion
Race Engineering

ARRC 2010 Champ

quote:
Originally posted by Brian Cates:
You mean I can now bring out my 1.6 since they are suddenly fast again? [Confused]

I thought the experts all said it was impossible for a 1.6 to beat out a 99, or was that just at Atlanta?

I'm still confused, a 1.6 in the draft of one of the fastest 99's in the country goes a few hundreth's faster than the fastest 99 at the ARRC, that had no draft, and the 1.6 is deemed to have a close ratio gearbox, trick cams and who knows what else by all the so called experts, but now it's ok for a 1.6 to win against some well preparred 99's. [Big Grin]

Do you really want to go down that road again? [Smile] We were talking about Atlanta in the case of the ARRC.

--------------------
2010 ARRC Champion
2010 CFR Champion

MegaModerator

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by B(Kuch) Kucera 45:
I just want to say good job to my little bro Ron Kucera.He finished 8th,not bad for his first time on the track! [thumbsup]

ahh #$%^&(*)_ There is another one? [Big Grin]

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com

EAST STREET RACING

Veteran Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for pat slattery     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Did anyone notice that the 99 car of Steyns had the fast time of the race while he was trying to shake his car down.

Pat

--------------------

Arrow Karts

MegaModerator

quote:
Originally posted by pat slattery:
Did anyone notice that the 99 car of Steyns had the fast time of the race while he was trying to shake his car down.

Pat

And what does that mean, I left my decoder ring at home? [Wink]

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com

EAST STREET RACING

Yup Pat I did, and thanks to Tom the car was fast out the box.

But that FRL was the product of the two car train of Gaines and Owenby working together creating a massive draft behind them, sucking me a long for the ride.

I was faster out of 4 and that would allow me to pull up around 5-7 car lengths through the uphill esses. But they were both considerably faster out of Oaktree, and while I would sometimes be in their draft, they would pull away down the back straight.

The front straight was a wash.

As to my car, sure it has some expected gremlins that need sorting out. Tom worked his but off on the car making fine adjustments, but it was pretty well sorted from teh start.

There is one issue that is still kicking our butt. I am going to post a video of an "CLACKING" sound that we are still trying to hunt down. It is related to a shifting mass - and occurs under braking, and left right turns especially when climbing curbs.

Tom tried to sort it out at the track but we were never able to resolve it.

I am hoping that some of you might have heard something similar and found the cause. I will try and get this up in a seperate thread.

PS - Jim - you need to get a zip tie for that decoder ring of yours .... you are forever leaving it lying around!

--------------------
Danny
2008 SEDiv ECR Champ

B(Kuch) Kucera 45 Verified Driver
Veteran Member

Region: NeOh
Car #: 45
Icon 1 posted  Profile for B(Kuch) Kucera 45   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Drago:
quote:
Originally posted by B(Kuch) Kucera 45:

ahh #$%^&(*)_ There is another one? [Big Grin]
Yes there is,yes there is! [yep]
But I'm the better looking one! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Bob
!KUCH!

"All my drinking buddies have a racing problem"

Veteran Member

quote:
Originally posted by Drago:
quote:
Originally posted by pat slattery:

Pat

And what does that mean, I left my decoder ring at home? [Wink]
You know what Jim, but I wont say it. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Arrow Karts

Brian Ghidinelli Verified Driver
Moonwalker

Region: SFR
Car #: 12
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Brian Ghidinelli   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

-

--------------------
MotorsportReg.com / Haag Performance / Team SafeRacer
2010 San Francisco Region SMT Champion

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: