Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » National Auto Sport Association » NASA Central » Sunday's finish at Mid Ohio

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Sunday's finish at Mid Ohio
Qik Nip Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Loose Member '09 & '10 Great Lakes Regional Points Champion

Region: Cincinnati Great Lakes
Car #: 60
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Qik Nip     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Anybody got the finishing order at Sunday's MId Ohio rain fest? When I left (an hour after the flag) they still hadn't gotten the list up.
Rick

--------------------
Fortune Cookie Racing SM 60
Directions for use: Race, Rumple, Repair ... Repeat!

d mathias Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: OVR
Car #: 88
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for d mathias     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

http://www.mylaps.com/results/newResults.jsp?id=771446&highlight=12

pat slattery Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: cincy
Car #: 79
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for pat slattery     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I know Shawn finished first but my laps does not indicate that for Sunday. Anyone know anything different?

Pat

--------------------
keeping the faith for the 1.6

Arrow Karts

Icon 1 posted  Profile for d mathias     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Wondering that myself Pat. MyLaps shows him 7 laps down. That's not right is it?

Veteran Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for pat slattery     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

No we finished first and was scored that way going over the scales. We actually finished 2nd in the whole run group.

Pat

--------------------

Arrow Karts

nohairracing Verified Driver

Region: neohio
Car #: #50
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for nohairracing     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

All I know is that I lapped Shawn about 7 times so I think it's correct [laughing]
Howard

Congrats on the wins, not bad for a sick motor, huh?

--------------------
Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level then beat you with experience!

B(Kuch) Kucera 45 Verified Driver
Veteran Member

Region: NeOh
Car #: 45
Icon 1 posted  Profile for B(Kuch) Kucera 45   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Hey Rick it was fun racing with you on Sat.My number for NASA is 41.Sorry I didn't get the chance to come by and introduce myself to you but I was a little under the weather.Hell I still didn't go back to work yet,damn cold! [Frown]

I will say this,other then Tech and the weather I had a great weekend not the finish's I wanted but we'll take it!

Can't wait until the next race!

Great job Denny on Sun.I never seen you go that fast even in the dry! [Big Grin] [thumbsup]

--------------------
Bob
!KUCH!

"All my drinking buddies have a racing problem"

D Watts Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Just going in circles

Region: Neohio
Car #: 66
SMIM: dwatts66
Icon 1 posted  Profile for D Watts   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Look at the bottom of the main times sheet:
13:44 Car #11 - DQ + Extra Penalty Assessed for PASSING UNDER WAVING YELLOW
14:53 Cars 79, 110, 10 and 61 moved to last for PASSING UNDER YELLOW.

[Frown] Looks like they took away your win Shawn.

--------------------
David Watts
GLDiv #66

Veteran Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for B(Kuch) Kucera 45   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Dave it was so crazy I couldn't tell when or were you could pass in Sun.race.Between the rain and cars everywhere it was insane but fun! [Eek!]

I tell you what,on the start and restarts I couldn't see the car I was pushing in front of me until he put his brakes on!

--------------------
Bob
!KUCH!

Veteran Member

That sucks, we were around long enough to be advised of any problems, kind of hard to defend or sort out if your not notified. Very dissapointed for Shawn as he drove his ass off. [Mad]

The scoring was a cluster all day Sunday, they weren't even able to post qualifying times, all they had was starting positions. [Confused]

Pat Slattery

--------------------

Arrow Karts

Veteran Member

Hey Pat I understand what your talking about.This was my first NASA event and I had a feeling it was going to be a little weird.

It all started when I pulled into the track only to have WATTS flying through the pits in his truck laughing while giving me the 1 finger solute! [shame] [Big Grin]

--------------------
Bob
!KUCH!

Thanks Kuch (I think). I ran in PTE this weekend and got second place mainly by staying on track.

There was another SM that managed to escape the attention of the corner workers while passing me and an SM under full course yellow, even though I was waving my hand out my driver's side window, but since I was an out-of-classhole this weekend it ain't my deal. [Roll Eyes]

-Denny

P.S. Pat, ditto on the cluster----

D Watts Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Just going in circles

Region: Neohio
Car #: 66
SMIM: dwatts66
Icon 1 posted  Profile for D Watts   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I also agree with the cluster on and off the track Sunday. I never heard an announcement calling for Shawn or anyone else. And I was around a couple of hours after our race. No qualifying or race times/results posted. Schultz was the first to tell me about it, and he left Saturday night.

Shawn did a good job wheeling his car, as always.

Bob, I was just waving at you! [Big Grin]

--------------------
David Watts
GLDiv #66

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Qik Nip     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

All I can say about that event was that with no rains it was the most tense racing experience I've had in four past SM seasons.

I approached it as a "survival" race and damn near didn't with a very serious hydroplaning experience under braking at the Keyhole and another at T7 where I had to brake three times to get the car to contact the pavement!

All in all, not an experience I want to repeat. (That said, I'll take the 4th and the Toyo $$. Hmmm...Maybe the $50 will go toward a set of rains?
Rick
P.S. I want whatever set up and tires Shawn was running. He passed me like I was in the wrong gear in the Keyhole! That young Jedi definitely has the Force.

P.P.S And how about that Saturday night Tornado warning and evacuation!

--------------------

gt40jim

Region: Steel Cities
Icon 1 posted  Profile for gt40jim     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Ditto Ditto Ditto My two guys were guilty of the passes under yellow. The 10 car claims he never did any passing under yellow. [scratchchin] The 11 car was unsure of what he had done sooo I gotta think he did it. This was the boys first car race weekend ever. (Skippy school and some kart racing) I was very proud of them in the enduro. Sunday, not so good but hey the 10 car got fast lap. They need seasoning for sure. Kevin in the 10 had a straightaway lead and threw it away slowing hugely for a standing yellow in one! [Roll Eyes] Good racing and driving on Shawns part! [yep] Nice meeting you guys! On dads orders the boys are to get seat time. Lots of it. So Summit next weekend. Jim Locke

Tom Scheifler Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Veteran Member

Region: MIDIV-STL
Car #: 28
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Tom Scheifler   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Sorry we missed out (on Saturday, not so much on Sunday)

Any POG stickers in use?

--------------------
http://www.plainoldgas.com

Heritage Racing Group

Region: STEEL CITIES
Car #: 15
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Heritage Racing Group     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Anyone have video??

Greg

I've got some in-car video, but my lens kept fogging up. Go figure. When I get a chance I'll YouTube some of it, although even when the lens was clear it's mostly white mist.

POG sticker on the #88, running the Duke station's finest.

-D

quote:
Originally posted by Tom Scheifler:
Any POG stickers in use?

Tom:
Had mine on (proudly)!
Rick

--------------------

Shawn Slattery

Region: Cincinnati
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Shawn Slattery     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thanks Everyone. I feel the disqualification was a little unfair due to the fact there was no protest (as far as I know) and that no one notified me before I cleared scales. I know the other time there had been any discrepancy in my race, an official pulled me aside in the hot pits and notified me of any penalties. This was not the case in sunday's race. Either way I had a lot of fun. Thanks for the great racing. Saturday's race was fantastic and the outcome may have ended differently had it not been for lapped traffic. Brian Murdick raced an excellent race against me. It was a great battle. Sunday's race took place under my least favorite conditions and proved to be a helluva challenge. Any time you are travelling down the back straight of Mid-Ohio doing 90 some-odd miles an hour and can't see 5 feet in front of you can be a bit sak-cinching if ya know what I mean. But it was a lot of fun and I got to meet some new people who I look forward to racing against in the future. I am contesting the disqualification, and will keep you posted.
-Shawn Slattery #79

gt40jim

Icon 1 posted  Profile for gt40jim     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Hi guys, There was no protest from us I assure you as we got tossed also. [Frown] I was not notified until it had to be 4:00 or so! Chris and Kevin had left as well, hell the paddock was empty! (The crew was chatting with "Thunder" the front gate girl with the pink stripes in her hair instead of loading up. Her real name by the way.) Oh well the boys had fun and learned so it was a success! Jim

quote:
Originally posted by Shawn Slattery:
Saturday's race was fantastic and the outcome may have ended differently had it not been for lapped traffic.

Shawn:
Amen on your protest. Here's hoping you win. What was especially crappy (to me) was that they pulled the pace car out arbitrarily and as a result, while you were ahead of me by about the length of the T1 to T2 stretch when it pulled out, when it went green you were in my mirror.

We both got screwed, I should have been 10" off the bumper of the car in front of me instead of him being three cars back (but 2.4 miles ahead)! It suks.
Rick

--------------------

I believe the pace car picked-up the overall leader.

Alex Soduk #6

Region: NEOhio
Car #: 6
SMIM: ?
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Alex Soduk #6   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

what a terrible first post... but being a car that was passed under yellow i guess i'm the one to point it out...
Passing under yellow happened. #11 and #79 both passed me under double yellow in the carousel. [shame] it had been double yellow for several corners prior to the pass. i was waving my arm at both of you as you blew by, but it must have been blocked by the same mist blocking your view of corner workers.

Veteran Member

In the defense of Shawn and the other DQ's they should have had the pace car out alot earlier then they did.

There was so many car's off the track and so many diff. flags in diff.corners that it made it real confusing.I think they should have had the pace car out to clean the mess up or had a full course yellow.IMHO

--------------------
Bob
!KUCH!

Shawn Slattery

Region: Cincinnati
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Shawn Slattery     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I was not saying that it did not happen. I could not tell you if I did or didn't. The race details are not as clear to me now as when I had just came off the race track. I dont recall passing you (alex) in the carousel. I did not realize I passed under any yellow. And the time stamp from mylaps said 14:53 which I thought to believe earlier than the time the double yellow came out. My beef is with a pass under yellow flag penalty, a simple as this was, I should have been notified when I came off the track. I should have been notified period. Not by mylaps.com 2 days after the fact. It is fairly cut and dry, if you pass under yellow you get penalized. The corner worker sees the illegal move, radios it in and when the race is over notifies the driver in the hot pits or in the tech line. How was it so difficult to inform me of this. If I was informed at the track it gives me a chance to find out the facts and dispute my case. I just hope that these things get handled better in the future. Again I had a blast. Thanks for the great racing. - Shawn Slattery

gt40jim

Hi Alex, I'm sorry it happened. I talked to Chris the other day about it and he did not realize that he had done it but also does not argue the point. That said, I told him what a big no no that is. Dangerous as well!!! Chris is ashamed of having done it. Anyway the point of this year is too get them seat time and learn what I am call "situational awareness" and race savvy. As I said before this was their first car race ever, so I would like to give them a little slack BUT not on so important of an issue as that!
Hey Shawn, I agree with you that it should have been brought to our attention immediately. I love NASA for track time and am frustrated with them for almost everything else! They KNEW it happened as it happened. I wear an earbud with race control on it and heard it called in on the 11 and the 79 for passing under the double yellows. Not knowing what they would do with it, I just kept my mouth shut. [Roll Eyes] As I said 4:00 when they finally came to me. Rediculus! SCCA would have been all over us for it! Probably a black flag right then and before the finish if there was more then one witness. Talk to you guys again, Jim Locke

Jeff D

Car #: 27
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jeff D     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Heritage Racing Group:
Anyone have video??

Greg

I've been trying to upload a highlight video from Sunday but having no luck. [Roll Eyes] Planning to take a copy with me to Gateway next weekend for Dave Royce. Hopefully he can get it up on the NASA website.

*I wasn't near any of the yellow flag violaters so nothing on my video exonerates or condemns anyone. Actually most of it just shows the back of D.Watts car. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Jeff Davidson
NASA Great Lakes Region
#27 Spec-Miata
Chief of Grid - MW Region

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: