Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » National Auto Sport Association » NASA Central » Question about instructing

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Question about instructing
Qik Nip Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Loose Member '09 & '10 Great Lakes Regional Points Champion

Region: Cincinnati Great Lakes
Car #: 60
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Qik Nip     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'm considering attending the instructors clinic at Putnam on 5/16 and was surprised to see the clinic costs $195.

I was interested in the spirit of giving something back to racing and was a bit surprised by the fee. Am I missing something here ... like NASA instructors race at half price or free, etc?
Rick

--------------------
Fortune Cookie Racing SM 60
Directions for use: Race, Rumple, Repair ... Repeat!

TSouth Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Cincinnati
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for TSouth     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Rick,

Instructors used to race for free, not sure about now.

tony senese Verified Driver
Phew, that was close!

Car #: 99
Year : 1994
Icon 1 posted  Profile for tony senese   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Rick,
SOMETIMES instructors race for free. I instruct at DE events, do tech and registrations at Northeast races, and teach the comp school, but I pay for all my events outside the northeast unless I am instructing at that event. At Hyperfest in the MA region the schedule is almost impossible to instruct and race, so I just pay.

The instructors school here in the NE is usually a paid event for the prospective instructors as well. Not everyone ends up passing or wanting to instruct after they get a taste of it.

You would be a great instructor, don't let 200 bux stand in your way, hell thats less than the price of 2 toyos your gonna burn up trying to keep me behind you in September!!!!!

--------------------
Tony Senese
SM#99
2008 NASA-NE SM Champion
NASA-NE SM Director
2008 PRO-IT SM 3rd place
http://www.nosenseyet.com/coppermine

Qik Nip Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Loose Member '09 & '10 Great Lakes Regional Points Champion

Region: Cincinnati Great Lakes
Car #: 60
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Qik Nip     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Tony:
I wasn't saying I wouldn't attend. I was just musing on my chagrin about the fee.
Rick

--------------------
Fortune Cookie Racing SM 60
Directions for use: Race, Rumple, Repair ... Repeat!

Jeff D

Car #: 27
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jeff D     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Rick,

Yes, NASA does charge for the instructor clinic. I paid for the one I attended last year at NelsonLedges.

Far as I know instructors do still get to drive for free. However, it can put a strain on your weekend, like Tony says. Check with the chief instructor (Dan Fargo in GreatLakes region).

--------------------
Jeff Davidson
NASA Great Lakes Region
#27 Spec-Miata
Chief of Grid - MW Region

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: