Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » National Auto Sport Association » NASA Central » Putnam race

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Putnam race
pat slattery Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: cincy
Car #: 79
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for pat slattery     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Has anyone heard any information about the racer that was air cared out of the track on Sunday morning. No one seemed to have any information to share.

Also any comments about the race weekend?

Pat Slattery

--------------------
keeping the faith for the 1.6

Arrow Karts

Michael B. Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Central
Car #: 1
Year : 1994
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Michael B.     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I liked the race weekend (with hopes that the racer that went off recovers well). I think that the staff did a great job working the event and keeping things in check even after the Life Flight chopper. It could have been a very somber and off center event had less professional people been at the helm. They rose to the occasion and got the job done in good form. Bravo to them, and thank you to them for the event.

Traffic was pretty banana's but I enjoyed myself with all of the SM guys. The SM guys seem to be a real good group of drivers - I think. And our 15 year old rocket class winning driver is Uber Impressive!

--------------------
MB.

Qik Nip Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Loose Member '09 & '10 Great Lakes Regional Points Champion

Region: Cincinnati Great Lakes
Car #: 60
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Qik Nip     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Pat:
Likewise I've seen no word anywhere on the racer who involved in the crash. The fact that the car came off the track under a tarp and that it was immediately spirited into a closed garage was spooky. That was a first to me. My prayers are with him and his family.

As Michael said however, the NASA staff did a good job of regrouping. I was however disappointed that they opted to use Saturday's qualifications times to start Sunday's race (as opposed to Saturday's race results). That was IMHO a bad decision.

The race was exciting for me, beginning with gaining three places by lab two and then getting punted in lap 4 in T10 and gathering it back up -while losing three places. Then after regaining those three, (plus four more), I had a BMW back marker spin directly in front of me on lap 10(no feet in) in the kink after T5 - requiring a grass excursion and the loss of five spots. I eventually regained four of those. But all in all, it was fun racing to end up about where back where I started!
Rick

--------------------
Fortune Cookie Racing SM 60
Directions for use: Race, Rumple, Repair ... Repeat!

tony senese Verified Driver
Phew, that was close!

Car #: 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for tony senese   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Qik Nip:
Pat:
- requiring a grass excursion and the loss of five spots.
Rick

Rick,
You need to go to the Todd Lamb school of off road racing! They teach you how to go off and gain spots in the dirt!

--------------------
Tony Senese
SM#99
2008 NASA-NE SM Champion
NASA-NE SM Director
2008 PRO-IT SM 3rd place
http://www.nosenseyet.com/coppermine

Veteran Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for pat slattery     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Yeah. the lack of information coming from NASA is disturbing. I don't know the gentleman but he is a brother racer and I think all at the race were concerned and would like some kind of update.

Having Shawn start DFL in both races was also very discouraging for Shawn and me, but he made the most of it.

Not having a race result by the end of the day for Saturday when we were the first class out is inexcusable. Same thing happened at Mid Ohio where no finishes were posted for the last race.

I hope the racer that was injured is recovering, that is more important than anything else.

Pat

--------------------

Arrow Karts

d mathias Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: OVR
Car #: 88
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for d mathias     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Info on injured driver:

http://www.nasaforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=22198&start=0

Sounds like good news.

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Qik Nip     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Wow. He's up and talking. That's unbelievably great news!
Rick
P.S. But why the drama of the tarped car and spiriting it into the locked building? All that did was to spook people.

--------------------

tony senese Verified Driver
Phew, that was close!

Car #: 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for tony senese   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Rick,
I am not sure, but I think that in some circumstances this is SOP. If there is the possibility of serious injury and there is a loved one at the track that has not been informed, officials like to make sure they talk to that person before they see the car come in.

In this case Mark's wife is the chief of T&S, so I am sure she knew what was happening.

--------------------
Tony Senese
SM#99
2008 NASA-NE SM Champion
NASA-NE SM Director
2008 PRO-IT SM 3rd place
http://www.nosenseyet.com/coppermine

Veteran Member

That is great news.

Pat Slattery

--------------------

Arrow Karts

Tony:
Good point. Thanks and I'm just very happy to hear Mark's on the mend. Maybe I've got more pull with the Lord than I thought when I said that prayer Sunday.
Rick

--------------------

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Michael B.     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Cool, looks like he is on the mend.

I have some video from this event posted on You-Tube. Perhaps many of you have a cameo role in it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZJNOTJtyUY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfbdz25Mz1M

--------------------
MB.

Michael:
Great practice run. Your pass on me made it look like you had an "EASY" button on the dash. What year is your SM? I couldn't help but notice the tremendous differences in our shift points.
Thanks.
Rick

--------------------

Yo Rick!

I have a '94 with the odd gear ratio - and I have been known to shift early in search of more life from my 118,000 mile 1.8.

I enjoyed the crap outta running with NASA but several things have come up within & since the weekend that leave me a tad cold. Not to mention my Sunday finishing position changing to suit the race directors... I can take my lumps but I find that the way they freely and without confirmation give them - to be a bit concerning to this racer.

Nevertheless, I LOVE your license plate!

--------------------
MB.

Z-ville Racing Club Verified Driver

Region: Indy Region
Car #: 28
Year : 1990/2000
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Z-ville Racing Club     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Michael,

What were the issues?

I am waiting on a confirm as I write this (since no one had informed me of the position change yet and I have no explanation). Might have just been an oversight. I will know soon (I would hope as I need to apply for my Toyo bux) & will report back.

Might be nothing but a typo on Sundays results.

Saturday I finished well but then got a DQ in impound for an exhaust pipe infraction. It was a pretty minor infraction but I accept the lump without question as I run within the rules - and my tailpipe OD was larger & shorter than the rules state, but how about a log book entry and a "fix before next race" not a DQ for a tailpipe (muffler and all else were to spec).

I fixed the tailpipe and enjoyed the weekend with my SM pals and had another good finish - then got the Sunday moving finishing position results news yesterday.

Ouch.

--------------------
MB.

Veteran Member

Mike, Shawn had the same thing happen to him on Sundays race at Mid Ohio a couple of weeks ago. We finished first, scaled the car, waited around in tech, got released, only to find out two days later that we had been moved back to last for passing under the yellow in the rain race. No notification, no chance to defend your position or call witnesses to protest the decision, just here it is.

Very disapointing, and than to have to start both Saturday and Sunday from the tail made us very sour on NASA racing.

Not to mention that the powers to be had SM staring at the very back of all classes, when SM was clearly the second fastest group which made our car having to dodge about 20 additonal cars that were qualified slower, did not make sense.

Pat

--------------------

Arrow Karts

Man Pat, you sure were fast.

I admired your MyLaps lap chart. Talk about making progress! Its impressive.

Thanks for racing with us. I try to learn from each of you and you took me to school!

--------------------
MB.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: