Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » National Auto Sport Association » NASA Central » Mid Ohio 8/15-16 event observation

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Mid Ohio 8/15-16 event observation
Qik Nip Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Loose Member '09 & '10 Great Lakes Regional Points Champion

Region: Cincinnati Great Lakes
Car #: 60
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Qik Nip     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I noted that we have a "guest race group" at the upcoming Mid Ohio event this weekend. Last June I recall that we also had a guest group and I recall it was later acknowledged by NASA that adding that guest group was a mistake because it unduly crowded the schedule. Are we repeating history this weekend? I sure hope not.
Rick

--------------------
Fortune Cookie Racing SM 60
Directions for use: Race, Rumple, Repair ... Repeat!

D Watts Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Just going in circles

Region: Neohio
Car #: 66
SMIM: dwatts66
Icon 1 posted  Profile for D Watts   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I thought I counted 70 cars in your run group too. No thanks, not for me. Now, if it were 70 SMs, I'd be there!!

--------------------
David Watts
GLDiv #66

Z-MAN Verified Driver

Region: Mid-South
Car #: 54
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Z-MAN     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

That's a bunch of cars in one group... I hope they start the race on the back straight - I ran at Mid Ohio last year at an SCCA DBL Reg weekend in a large group of mixed cars (SM and IT cars). I was hit from behind and spun into the pit lane wall on the start.

Unlike the pro races, they started the races on the front straight - IMO - VERY STUPID...

I don't think that I will ever race at the track again if the race start is on the front straight... Single file restarts would probably be ok.

MZ

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Qik Nip     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Z-MAN:
That's a bunch of cars in one group... I hope they start the race on the back straight - I ran at Mid Ohio last year at an SCCA DBL Reg weekend in a large group of mixed cars (SM and IT cars). I was hit from behind and spun into the pit lane wall on the start.

Unlike the pro races, they started the races on the front straight - IMO - VERY STUPID...

I don't think that I will ever race at the track again if the race start is on the front straight... Single file restarts would probably be ok.

MZ

Nornally NASA starts the small bore race in two flights at MO. One group starts on the front straight and the other on the back.

That "normalizes the start, but the track gets pretty crowded by mid race when the mixing of the two groups gets heavy.
Rick

--------------------

38BFAST Verified Driver

Region: Waterford Hills
Car #: 38
Year : 96
Icon 1 posted  Profile for 38BFAST     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

70 cars on the track at one time. Humm, well you will be able to run light on fuel do to all the yellows the racers are going to be asking for.

--------------------
Ralph Provitz
2008 WHRRI SM Champion
2008 WHRRI Top 10 Overall
V2 Motorsports, Race support, Data Dude

d mathias Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: OVR
Car #: 88
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for d mathias     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Rick, Surely you know by now - "if your group loses track time it's because the group caused the yellows". [Big Grin] And - "we have to add guest groups or the entry fees will go up". [Roll Eyes]

EBudman Verified Driver
Idle Member

Region: Detroit
Car #: #71
Icon 1 posted  Profile for EBudman     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

HA, a 70 car group at MidO!? LeMons comes to NASA!! [Confused] [rolling on floor laughin]

Just goes to show, drivers are not rational people.. [duck]
Now, if you were all running $500 cars, that would make sense!

EB

quote:
Originally posted by d mathias:
Rick, Surely you know by now - "if your group loses track time it's because the group caused the yellows". [Big Grin] And - "we have to add guest groups or the entry fees will go up". [Roll Eyes]

Jeeze Denny. I'd forgotten the fact that "we" were at fault and got what we deserved. Shame on me. [nope]
Rick
P.S. I just counted the field ... 59 cars (19 SM's) excluding any late entrants.

--------------------

Since I brought it up, I figured I needed to report on the event and the S-2000 guest group issue.

Actually it went off on schedule with no abbreviated sessions. All in all a good event from Brian and Dave. The only complaint I have was that the start got a but hairy on Saturday when we caught up with the Porsche 944 backmarkers almost immediately and they were behaving .. well, let's say unpredictably. On Sunday we inexplicably were directed to start even closer to them and (from my perspective) it worked better!
Rick

--------------------

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: