Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » National Auto Sport Association » NASA Central » Mid Ohio 7/8-7/9/06 Event Results

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Mid Ohio 7/8-7/9/06 Event Results
rx7driver Verified Driver

Region: NASA GL - SCCA Stl Cities
Car #: 32
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for rx7driver     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Mid-Ohio 7/8-7/9/06

NASA put on an excellent event this past weekend with 3 awesome races for the Spec Miata drivers that were there. All three races were decided by heavily fought battles at the front and throughout the field. 19 drivers participated in all three races.

Race 1 Top 5
1. Howard Mellman
2. Dennis Joynt
3. Brian Murdick
4. Gary Schultz
5. Greg Stasiowski
Fastest lap was by Brian Murdick at 1:46.973

Race 2 Top 5
1. Gary Schultz
2. Brian Murdick
3. Howard Mellman
4. Greg Stasiowski
5. Dennis Joynt
Fastest lap was by Howard Mellman at 1:46.239

Race 3 Top 5
1. Gary Schultz
2. Howard Mellman
3. Dennis Joynt
4. Brian Murdick
5. Greg Stasiowski
Fastest Lap was by Brian Murdick at 1:47.204

The next event is at Autobahn July 22-23.

The Mid-Ohio Event is August 11/12/13.

At both the Autobahn event and the Mid-Ohio events, there will be prizes for the winners as well as prizes that will be distributed randomly among at Spec Miatas that are present and run the appropriate decals.

See you there.

--------------------
---------------
Greg Stasiowski
#32 SM

D Squared

Region: OVR
Car #: 88
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for D Squared   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Wow! A lot of the hot shots took off for National competition, but a lot of talent filled the void. It was a really competitive field this weekend. I was busy during all 3 races. I ran my best time yet at Mid-O, 148:8, and you can see where that puts me. *sigh*

-Denny [thumbsup]

nohairracing Verified Driver

Region: neohio
Car #: #50
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for nohairracing     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I had a blast running with you guys this past weekend. Everyone left plenty of racing room and the competition was fierce.
Watch out for Denny, he may be the most improved driver in the field. I see a podium finish for him very soon.
Howard

--------------------
Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level then beat you with experience!

Rrrracer Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
The artist formerly known as fast

Region: Indy
Year : Thinking about a 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Rrrracer   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Yup, awesome weekend and a good turnout (19 cars). Greg got an awesome start in the third race, went from 5th to 2nd by turn one, but it wouldn't last.

Schultz, Mellman and Murdick all battled hard for the top three positions, but Joynt made a last lap pass in the carousel on Murdick for the final podium spot.

Awesome watching you guys... great racing. My favorite memory from the weekend is Meyers' "Shifter Cam" lol.

See you all at Autobahn!

Shane
http://www.aimtuning.com

Gary S. Verified Driver

Region: Steel Cities
Car #: 20
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gary S.     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Yep, Things are heatin' up in NASA.
Shane, thanks for your "encouraging words". I'll catch up with you in Aug.

Gary

Jason Holland Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Mediocrity rules!

Region: SouthEast
Car #: 28
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jason Holland   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Guys,

congrats on a great weekend. A little off subject but I'm looking for opinions on how to grow our NASA SM program down here in the SE. We are growing but at a slower rate than I would hope. I'm open to any suggestions on how to up car counts etc. You guys seem to be doing really well.

I'd appreciate any insight!

Thanks

JAson

--------------------
Jason Holland
Semi-interested civilian

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Rrrracer   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

You got it Gary, NASA is rolling...

No problem on the radio, I haven't done it all that much but I know enough to keep my mouth shut unless I can see you on the straights or there's a train wreck up ahead [Smile]

S

spdmonkey Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: OVR
Car #: 08
Icon 1 posted  Profile for spdmonkey     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Jason,
I think the "growth" is due to the fact the championships will be held at Mid-Ohio. From an SCCA perspective I can tell you that our National race was down 145 cars this year versus previous years. Its probably the reverse for the NASA region now.

db

Jason Holland Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Mediocrity rules!

Region: SouthEast
Car #: 28
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jason Holland   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Yeah, we are seeing some big growth here as well but not in the range I see up there. A good race for us is about 10 cars and we average between 4-8.

Just wondering if you guys had any special sauce up there! [Smile]

thanks

--------------------
Jason Holland
Semi-interested civilian

Scot White Verified Driver

Region: Indianapolis
Car #: 12
Year : '90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Scot White     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

If you ask me, the growth in popularity for the NASA events around here is about the people who run the events. Dave Royce truly is impressive and the events are run smoothly. People feel welcomed and everything seems fair. I run both the SCCA and NASA and I always seem to have more fun at the NASA events. In last weekend's Mid-Ohio event I blew an engine during the test/tune day on Friday and had to go home. Dave Royce says "get with me during the week and we'll get you a refund". You can bet I'll be at the July 22nd NASA event at Autobahn if I can get my motor changed out in time.

Scot White

OK here comes that train wreck I mentioned earlier...

I agree the Nationals being held at Mid-O is helping our numbers, but I've seen much positive growth in NASA around here over the last four years, before that all went down.

Scot, you provide an interesting, unbiased perspective from someone who is altogether new to racing this year. I think you hit the nail on the head.

Royce and company are completely re-engineering NASA in this area and people are responding. His plan is simple, keep all the good stuff about NASA and fix the not-so-good. The revamp hasn't come at the expense of fun which is why we're all doing this anyway, isn't it?

I'm not anti-SCCA, but I am pro-NASA. I've run with both for years and have seen the ins and outs of how each conducts business. I must say that Royce has, over the span of four events, transformed NASA from a good-times but loose-knit affair into a well-oiled machine that runs reliably and on time, and if something goes awry there's checks and balances in place to take care of it.

NASA as a sanctioning body is simply easier to deal with in every aspect. Let's take something very basic that affects everybody, event registration, for example:

In the SCCA you have to take pen in hand and manually fill out a full page of information, much of which is redundant, and send it off for each and every event you want to do. With NASA, you click the mouse a couple of times and it's done, payment and everything. You can sign up for a complete season in minutes if you like. Simple.

Dave has taken this streamlined approach and applied it to every aspect of the race weekend.

Ultimately it ends up being a superior experience for their customers, which is how everyone who attends is treated. NASA is a for-profit business, and the SCCA is a club. You tell me who is more motivated to keep their members happy?

I would encourage anyone who hasn't tried IN/OH NASA to do so, you will be pleasantly suprised.

S

Jim Boemler Verified Driver
Veteran Member

Region: NWR, OR
Car #: 30
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jim Boemler     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'd love to have NASA as an option in the PNW. But not all SCCA regions work the same. Oregon Region, for instance, does have electronic registration, and registration is quite easy -- I don't do any more than sign my name on site. My point is merely that you're comparing local operations, not big clubs/businesses as a whole.

jim

--------------------
Just a clown

Touche, my large shoed friend. This is the IN/OH region forum and my comments should be taken in that context... Boemler, always clowning [Razz]

However, to further my point, to sign up for a NASA event you log on to the national website (www.nasaproracing.com) and you can register for any event across the country... done. That's just one example.

My point is that the SCCA's "club/business" organization is not standardized. It might work well in your part of the country, but results in a less satisfactory end product to the "customer" in this area.

S

Jim Boemler Verified Driver
Veteran Member

Region: NWR, OR
Car #: 30
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jim Boemler     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Do I hear a positive suggestion in there someplace? For instance, would it help if the SCCA web site provided an automated registration service on behalf of each region? What else could SCCA improve?

jim

--------------------
Just a clown

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: