Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » National Auto Sport Association » NASA Northwest » Thunderhill Backwards Weekend Report

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Thunderhill Backwards Weekend Report
dtfastbear Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
faster than the average bear...

Region: SFR / NorCal
Car #: 72
Year : 93
Icon 1 posted  Profile for dtfastbear   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

For those who didn't race this weekend or chose to race at Laguna, you missed an exciting weekend at Thunderhill (backwards) with NASA!

Fortunately, the rain missed Thunderhill completely on Saturday and Sunday. We had two Spec Miata races each day, and every one of them was exciting. In the first Saturday race, we inverted the top 6 for the start. Randy didn't waste any time in getting back to the front, but Vodden and Daniel kept him on his toes. There were great races throughout the field and a "debris caution" midway through the race bunched everyone up.

For the second Saturday race, they inverted the entire starting grid from the first race - try getting your head around that! Again - tight racing throughout the field with Randy once again the class of the field with Daniel in close tow.

At the Sunday drivers meeting, Jerry announced that our first race would be on the 5/8 mile oval!! I've personally never raced this configuration at TH, but have heard it's a lot of fun. The layout is this: Running counterclockwise through T6 and T7, turn hard left just before T8 and rejoin the track at T14. Instead of turning right at T15, continue straight across the short chute to rejoin the track just before T6. There was rumor that we'd switch direction mid race so savvy oval racers couldn't throw on a NASCAR roundy-round alignment and stomp the rest of the field [Smile]

Alas, that never happened as they couldn't get the Timing and Scoring set up for that configuration fast enough. But, Jerry had another trick up his sleeve for that first race... The pace car headed the grid, rolled into the hot pit, and turned... RIGHT! No one knew ahead of time, but we were all of a sudden racing in the counter-clockwise direction! Randy was first, Vodden in pursuit and I was right behind waiting to pounce. About half way through the race, we go FCY. As the pace car leads us over the bypass, there's a safety truck sitting in the track and the pace car turns left through the chute to T15. We take from this that the 2nd half of the race will be run in the clockwise direction, and we're right. The pace car pulls off as we exit T1 onto the front straight and the balance of the race is run backwards. Is this a first? A spec miata sprint race that has run a track in both directions in the same race?? [Smile]

In the second race, Randy had to start from the back after a FCY pass violation in the first race. That gave me enough of an opportunity as he worked through the field to open up enough of a lead to take my first "money race" win.

Great racing all weekend. Some minor bumps and incidents, but nothing major.

Cheers,

Dean

[ 10-06-2008, 05:10 PM: Message edited by: dtfastbear ]

--------------------
NASA Nor Cal SM series Director
www.molaps.com

Winner - Ford Racing Mustang Challenge Driver Shootout

Evil Genius Racing / Race Engineering / Stewart Development

Kim Ouye Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Retired Racer

Region: SFR
Car #: 82/73
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kim Ouye     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Good job Dean and Randy! Sounds like a lot of fun.

--------------------
Kim

91 BRG SMT RIP
06 MX-5 Cup

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting 'Holy sh*t...what a ride!'" - Unknown

MAK Verified Driver

Year : 1994
Icon 1 posted  Profile for MAK     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Congrats on the win, Dean! Sounds like you had a fun and bizarre weekend with all the track config changes.

-Mike

ps. Now you have to change your sig.

--------------------
-Mike

Jeff Lyon Verified Driver
Still on Probation!

Region: NorCal/SFR
Car #: 17/19
Year : 92/89
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jeff Lyon   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Congrats Dean, you ran an awesome race.

It was a great weekend.

Kudos to NASA for once again putting on a dynamite program. [thumbsup]

--------------------
Jeff
NorCal/SFR
OneStopRaceShop

Icon 1 posted  Profile for dtfastbear   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

BTW - Forgot to mention that the new track surface at Thunderhill is a work of art. It's so silky smooth. It's "coming in" really, really nicely, and I'll bet lap records will fall in the coming months/years. They've gone over the berms for another round of shaving them down, and they are really good now. Even the berm at T8 I could run over w/o upsetting the car, and we're carrying a LOT more speed in T8 in the clockwise direction than the regular direction.

Cheers,

Dean

--------------------
www.molaps.com

Sean Allen Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Car #: 54!
Year : 90'
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Sean Allen   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

They shaved the berms!? Awesome!

Danimal Verified Driver

Region: Bay Area, California
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Danimal     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Congrats Dean, great weekend

Dan, you laid down some seriously good races this weekend! Congrats on the cash in the money race and the podiums in all four races (right?)

I had [nearly] as much fun on Saturday watching the racing as I did on Sunday driving. Laura and Jeremy had excellent battles on Saturday.

Cheers,

Dean

--------------------
www.molaps.com

Double Trouble Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Field Filler

Region: SFR/NorCal
Car #: 16, 17, 18
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Double Trouble     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I want to add my congratulations to both Dean and Laura - Dean for the win and Laura for the awesome qualifying on Saturday!

I had a great time. I think the changeups with the track were alot of fun. Without that inversion on the second race Saturday I might never of gotten a chance to feel the thrill of leading a race. And running both directions during the same race (Ok, so I may of done that before, but it wasn't on purpose [yep] ) was a real learning experience for me.

And finally, what a job by Dan. Beautiful runs all weekend. give that guy a real motor and everyone better watch out.

Kevin

--------------------
One Stop Race Shop

Tony Silva Verified Driver
"The Tiger"

Car #: 79
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Tony Silva     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Yep T-Hill backwards is a whole new track. Its great living in an area where we have 4 great tracks to race on. I hope SCCA takes note and throws in a couple of T-Hill backwards races next year.

Thank you NASA for treating an outsider so nicely. From taking care of my log book to showing me how to line up in grid, you were all so helpful and made me feel welcome.

Tony

Danimal Verified Driver

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Danimal     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Dean, it was 2nd both races behind Randy on Sat. but that is unofficial looks as though I will get DQ'd for the first race on weight. On Sunday it was 4th and 3rd for the money race...

Thank you

Jeff Lyon Verified Driver
Still on Probation!

Region: NorCal/SFR
Car #: 17/19
Year : 92/89
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jeff Lyon   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

How could you have finished 4th in the first race on Sunday when I finished 4th? [Confused]

Randy was DQ'd for passing under the FCC so we moved up a spot. [Smile] Don't go messing with my 4 4th.

--------------------
Jeff
NorCal/SFR
OneStopRaceShop

Danimal Verified Driver

Oh, That is even better....Thank you for the correction Jeff.

Thank you Jeff for all the support this weekend with OneStopRaceShop.com....

Sorry Randy

Self explanatory video:

http://www.molaps.com/videos/donuts.wmv

[Smile]

--------------------
www.molaps.com

JD Morris Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
A slower JD...

Region: SF
Car #: RIP #56
Year : --
Icon 1 posted  Profile for JD Morris     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Congrats, Dean! That put a big smile on my face. [Big Grin] [thumbsup]

JD

Sean Allen Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Car #: 54!
Year : 90'
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Sean Allen   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Miata's have enough power to do donuts!? Nice!

Kim Ouye Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Retired Racer

Car #: 82/73
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kim Ouye     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Heck Dean...I've pulled that same move in the middle of races before.....

--------------------
Kim

91 BRG SMT RIP
06 MX-5 Cup

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting 'Holy sh*t...what a ride!'" - Unknown

bpigpen

Region: sfr
Car #: 20
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for bpigpen     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

congrats Dean ;wished i could have been there to see that in person.Now you have to change that bridesmaid bullsh__ . bet that check felt (in my best Borat voice) "very niiiccceee".bruce

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: