Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » National Auto Sport Association » NASA Northwest » NASA NorCal's 2009 Spec Miata and SSM program

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: NASA NorCal's 2009 Spec Miata and SSM program
dtfastbear Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
faster than the average bear...

Region: SFR / NorCal
Car #: 72
Year : 93
Icon 1 posted  Profile for dtfastbear   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Hey Gang,

I've gotten a lot of questions and a lot of interest already about what NASA NorCal's SM and SSM programs will be this year. Here are some facts that I hope will answer any questions you have and will encourage you to come out to run with NASA this year!

1 - NASA NorCal will be running the new SSM class *as defined by the NASA SSM rules*. The SFR SSM class is something different, so you can't just simply cross over to NASA SSM unless you meet all of the NASA SSM requirements. Please check the NASA SSM rules - the differences are very easy to pick out. Note - we are working on trying to make the NASA and SFR SSM classes compatible for those who like the idea and want to cross over.

2 - Since the engine dyno and sealing details are not yet worked out, the first SSM races in February will be non-points races and no sealing will be required. You must still meet all of the other rules for SSM (e.g. exhaust, airbox, camber, etc.)

3 - There will not be any SM Money Races in 2009. While we still consider the 2008 season to be a success, the money just didn't generate the big car counts to justify the expense. However, Toyo has confirmed that they will recognize SSM and pay out their usual (very generous) Toyo Bucks contingency for the top finishers in each SSM race.

4 - SM, SSM and Spec E-30 will share a run group for qualifying and races at NorCal NASA. This worked well at the end of last year. Qualifying will be combined, but the race starts will be separated (SM and SSM together) from Spec E-30 so that few cars will encounter cars from the other class.

5 - I think it is worth mentioning that SSM will be a class at the NASA Nationals to be held at Miller in Utah this year. For those who want to be part of a Big Show but for whom the Runoffs seems out of reach, this might be your opportunity to participate!

Any questions, don't hesitate to PM me or give me a call on 415-203-0456.

Cheers!

Dean

--------------------
NASA Nor Cal SM series Director
www.molaps.com

Winner - Ford Racing Mustang Challenge Driver Shootout

Evil Genius Racing / Race Engineering / Stewart Development

Jason Holland Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Mediocrity rules!

Region: SouthEast
Car #: 28
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jason Holland   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thanks Dean!

J

--------------------
Jason Holland
Semi-interested civilian

Jeff Lyon Verified Driver
Still on Probation!

Region: NorCal/SFR
Car #: 17/19
Year : 92/89
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jeff Lyon   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thanks for the info Dean. So what does it take to qualify for Nats?

--------------------
Jeff
NorCal/SFR
OneStopRaceShop

Icon 1 posted  Profile for dtfastbear   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

It couldn't be easier:

1) The driver must earn points in at least five official races (not weekends).

2) Mixing of any national classes is allowed.

3) Once minimum qualifications are earned, drivers may compete in multiple classes at the National Championships.

4) At least four entries must be received by September 1st, 2009 for a class to be eligible.

So, if you doubled up and ran in PTE and SM you could get 4 races just in one weekend.

Cheers,

Dean

--------------------
www.molaps.com

JD Morris Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
A slower JD...

Region: SF
Car #: RIP #56
Year : --
Icon 1 posted  Profile for JD Morris     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thanks for answering all the questions I hadn't yet gotten around to asking you, Dean! I was hoping for some money races to match up with races to qualify for the big show, but it's still an easy deal. I'm really tempted to head to Utah if we could get a good gang together. Cheers!

JD

Willf

Car #: 7
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Willf   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

So who is coming this weekend?!?!

I'll be racing in SE30 which will share the track with you guys.

--------------------
Will Faules
Thunderhill Raceway Park
NASA Race Director

Get a run at it!!!

Molaps spec miata will be there! Did you paint a target on your car, Will, or can you just tell us the color and number of your car? [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Will Spec E30 be doing a standing start with the drivers standing in front of the cars?

--------------------
www.molaps.com

mtm68 Verified Driver

Region: CalClub/ SFR
Car #: 67
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for mtm68     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'll be there!
(sans race car, just hanging out)

Marcus

Willf

Car #: 7
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Willf   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by dtfastbear:
Molaps spec miata will be there! Did you paint a target on your car, Will, or can you just tell us the color and number of your car? [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
Will Spec E30 be doing a standing start with the drivers standing in front of the cars?

I put the target on my front bumper to make it harder for you to get to... Hopefully you don't get to it... [Smile]

If I had anything to do with it we would do LeMans starts!!! [Smile] [Smile]

--------------------
Will Faules
Thunderhill Raceway Park
NASA Race Director

Get a run at it!!!

DionJ Verified Driver

Car #: 68
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for DionJ     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'll be there this weekend with my new car! No target on my car..please...

It'll be great to see you, Dion! I'm looking forward to seeing the new car, too.

We currently have 10 cars signed up for SM this weekend.

Given the current forecast, I hope everyone has R888 rains mounted!

Who's doing the test day on Friday? Laura is planning to run our car.

Cheers,

Dean

--------------------
www.molaps.com

Jeremy Pike

Region: SFR
Car #: 89
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jeremy Pike     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Feel free to give me the smack down.

I made plans with the g/f for Valentines Day before the schedule came out. Trust me, I tried. I also tried that, and when that didn't work, I tried to reason with her. When that didn't work, I tried that other thing, it didn't work either.

Sean Yepez Verified Driver
Team Keeblerspeed

Car #: 94
Year : 94
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Sean Yepez     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Pike:
Feel free to give me the smack down.

I made plans with the g/f for Valentines Day before the schedule came out. Trust me, I tried. I also tried that, and when that didn't work, I tried to reason with her. When that didn't work, I tried that other thing, it didn't work either.

My hands are tied as well, but I hope to catch you guys later at a Thunderhill race or two!

--------------------
2008 San Francisco Region SMT Champion

Double Trouble Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Field Filler

Region: SFR/NorCal
Car #: 16, 17, 18
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Double Trouble     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I took my wife out for an early Valentines dinner Saturday, so I am ok for this weekend. I will be there on Friday and if it's raining I will probably get in a little testing.

Kevin

--------------------
One Stop Race Shop

RYGAR Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
"The Unethical"

Region: San Francisco
Car #: 29
Icon 1 posted  Profile for RYGAR     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'll check out all the SM racing action on Saturday from Turn 2. Cold beer in hand. Will try to get out there Sunday as well...

--------------------
Ryan G. #29
http://www.RentMoneyRacing.com

Double Trouble Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Field Filler

Region: SFR/NorCal
Car #: 16, 17, 18
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Double Trouble     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Oh come on Ryan, bring out the car!

--------------------
One Stop Race Shop

Kim Ouye Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Retired Racer

Car #: 82/73
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kim Ouye     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Racing at Miller is a blast...you guys will have fun!

--------------------
Kim

91 BRG SMT RIP
06 MX-5 Cup

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting 'Holy sh*t...what a ride!'" - Unknown

Sean Allen Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Car #: 54!
Year : 90'
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Sean Allen   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

wow that was fast!

I had no idea the season had already started. I was just about to ask for results when I realized that the race is next weekend, not this past... silly me.

Mighty Mike Made Donation to Website

Car #: 42 & 92
Year : 91 & 93
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mighty Mike     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'm going to be there with my two other team mates Dave Anderson and Dick Avril.
First time on the new R888's. Is there a entry list posted?.
See you at the track

Michael Niemann
Team MiataKa Racing

Danimal Verified Driver

Region: Bay Area, California
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Danimal     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

DG will be there as well....Look forward to seeing you all at the track and in the padock

Here's who we've got so far:

Bill Brown MD
Bruce Pendleton
Dan Mairani
David Anderson
Dennis Clark
Dion Johnson
Kevin Wirth
Michael Niemann
Richard Avril
Laura Thomas
Dan Gehringer

--------------------
www.molaps.com

Sean Allen Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Car #: 54!
Year : 90'
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Sean Allen   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

How many of those are in the new SSM class?

Also, what is NASA fuel rule? Is it really 91 octane pump limit, or is it just "pump"? ex. 100 octane works.

Doug Clark Verified Driver

Year : 94
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Doug Clark     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'll be there too, looking forward to some wet conditions!

--------------------
2007 NASA 25 hours of Thunderhill E2 Champion (Crew Chief)
2008 NASA 25 hours of Thunderhill E2 Champion (Driver)
2009 NASA 25 hours of Thunderhill E2 3rd Place (Teamowner/Driver)

Shop Teacher

Region: SF Nor Cal
Car #: #39
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Shop Teacher     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Ill see you guys there

--------------------
Al Angulo
Auto Instructor
Ford Senior Master Tech
ASE Master Tech

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: