Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » National Auto Sport Association » NASA Northwest » Infineon - June 27-28 - who's in?

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Infineon - June 27-28 - who's in?
dtfastbear Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
faster than the average bear...

Region: SFR / NorCal
Car #: 72
Year : 93
Icon 1 posted  Profile for dtfastbear   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

We've got 16 cars right now, including 4 gentlemen from the Great Northwest (Washington, Oregon and Alaska) who drove Laguna last weekend and are joining us at Infineon this coming weekend.

I see a couple regulars are missing from the registration list (Bruce!) so I'm hoping to see a few more sign up this week.

Weather looks to be about perfect, and we'll get to race across (NASCAR SPOILER COMING!!!!!!) Kasey Khane's fresh donuts on the front straight.

Please check out the paddock map, as SM is in a new spot for this event. We're just south of the grid, smack dab in the middle of the paddock.

Looking forward to seeing you all Friday evening or Saturday morning.

Cheers,

Dean

--------------------
NASA Nor Cal SM series Director
www.molaps.com

Winner - Ford Racing Mustang Challenge Driver Shootout

Evil Genius Racing / Race Engineering / Stewart Development

Jeremy Pike

Region: SFR
Car #: 89
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jeremy Pike     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Speaking of Nascar.. Will the track configuration be traditional or might the dogleg be added like last year this time?

Icon 1 posted  Profile for dtfastbear   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Like last year, you'll probably find out about 8:05AM, after turning in at T7.

--------------------
www.molaps.com

Sean Allen Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Car #: 54!
Year : 90'
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Sean Allen   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

How about a race using the nascar track? [Smile]

mtm68 Verified Driver

Region: CalClub/ SFR
Car #: 67
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for mtm68     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Damn... have fun y`all! I'll be in Mendocino with Tania. Might see you Sunday. [Smile]

bpigpen

Region: sfr
Car #: 20
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for bpigpen     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

registered today ,can't wait- oh no no supersizing. damn !!!!!!!!!!!!!!see ya'all saturday

Dr.Dan Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
V8, nice! And good for you too!

Region: san francisco region
Car #: 39
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dr.Dan     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'm in.

--------------------
Daniel Mairani DDS...still here, just faster.
http://www.DanielMairanidds.com

Ok, now we're talking!!! Glad to have you, Bruce and Dan! If I see Vodden and Randy's names pop up, we'll have the full complement of regulars... I know Mark Drennan also has to get some races in to qualify for Nationals. Mark, are you out there?? [Smile]

Looking forward to a great weekend.

Cheers,

Dean

--------------------
www.molaps.com

TORacing

Region: SFR-033
Car #: 10
Year : 94
Icon 1 posted  Profile for TORacing     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'm in...can't wait! Tommy O

Tommy O! Out of, what shall we call it, short term retirement?? [Smile]

Already looking forward to one of those giant Marin Brewing Company beers Saturday afternoon.

--------------------
www.molaps.com

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dr.Dan     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Great the T.O.. too! what a cast.. Want to run the nascar course? Jerry said he doesn't care . Just convince everyone else. I guess that would be boring. fu-get it.

--------------------

It would be interesting to be able to compare our times and corner speeds to the NASCAR cars. I only ran the configuration once while breaking in an engine. David Reutemann was testing that day. Apparently, he didn't learn anything while "following" me around the track based on his performance last weekend.

Even if all the SM drivers agreed, we're sharing a run group with Spec E30 and the GTS cars, I think. We'd need to convince them, too.

--------------------
www.molaps.com

I think it could work but how do we convince them.?

--------------------

Save me a spot. I won't get there till after 6 on fri..Thanks

--------------------

RYGAR Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
"The Unethical"

Region: San Francisco
Car #: 29
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for RYGAR     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'll have to come out watch you guys and have some beers with ya

--------------------
Ryan G. #29
http://www.RentMoneyRacing.com

we miss ya buddy

--------------------

bpigpen

Icon 1 posted  Profile for bpigpen     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

anybody testing on friday?

tahoe z Verified Driver
2007 NASA 25hr Champion E2 / 2008 NASA 25 HR E2 2ND place

Region: san francisco
Car #: SFR # 62 1.6/ SMT / 1.8 /# 62 ITA
Year : 89smt / 94 ita
Icon 1 posted  Profile for tahoe z     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

????

--------------------
kim willcox

Jeff Clark Verified Driver

Region: Oregon
Car #: 07, 74
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jeff Clark   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The traveling band of 4 ICSCC Club Spec Miata's plan on doing both the test day and the race. [Big Grin]

SAVE ME A SPOT OH GODS OF RACING!!!eta fri 6pmish

--------------------

Kim Ouye Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Retired Racer

Car #: 82/73
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kim Ouye     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

--------------------
Kim

91 BRG SMT RIP
06 MX-5 Cup

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting 'Holy sh*t...what a ride!'" - Unknown

Sacslider
Uber time waster

Region: SFRegion
Car #: #27
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Sacslider   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

How was the weekend?

--------------------
Craig Evans
#27 Spec Miata
San Francisco Region
Life, Liberty, and pursuit of another checkered flag.
SpecMiataSuperstore.com

Tommy, Me and Dan G. both days. on the second only because Dean and Vodden wrecked totalling Dave's car. he flipped it exit right of T9. Locked tires. I was to far back in 4th to see exactly what happened. They had a real good battle going vodden and dean with tommy close behind. Dean was faster I believe. I'll let Dean Explain. I was on r888's all weakend. everyone else on ra1's. R888's suck fumes after about half the race on a 100 degree day. I was just driving to save my life. nut shell

--------------------

Total bummer on Sunday. Vodden, Tommy and I had a really good scrum going. Poor Dan on the ate-ate-ate's faded quickly. Dave's tires were going away about 2/3rds of the way through the race, but he is a MASTER of being in the right (wrong?) place at just the right time to prevent me from getting a run on him. [Smile] I knew that if I could get by I would be gone. Tommy was never more than a couple car lengths behind, even coming in to bump me once or twice (thanks!) Dave got a little slideways out of T2 and I got beside him. We raced door to door the whole way from T3 to T9. As we were about at the midpoint of T9 racing very close, we touched tires and both cars just hooked right and we went into the wall together drivers' right.

It was a solid hit, but both of us are fine. The 72 car suffered body damage front and rear on the right side, maybe some suspension on the front, but no frame damage. Vodden's #1 car didn't do as well. The car was on its side when we came to rest - most body panels are toast. Not sure about the rest of it. Several people said "totalled".

I want to thank Tommy and Dave for racing super clean. This incident was just that - an incident from close racing. Thanks to Dr. Dan for some much needed shade all weekend and for doing the lion's share of a tie-rod replacement on Saturday. Also thanks to Scott Miller, crew man extraordinaire!

Big thanks to John Pagel at Evil Genius Racing whose head and dyno work brought our car from being basically dead a couple events ago to being competitive with some head and dyno work.

Also a HUGE thanks to Tim Barber who set up our car at about 4:30AM on Saturday (and then again in the afternoon after said tie-rod replacement). Tim just opened a shop at Infineon about 6 months ago and has setup for these cars dialed in. Tommy O and Dr. Dan turned Laura and I on to Tim. The car was on rails for me on Sunday.

Cheers,

Dean

--------------------
www.molaps.com

Shop Teacher

Region: SF Nor Cal
Car #: #39
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Shop Teacher     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

When I raced MOTO X we called that the pick-up pass. Its when you canít seem to get around the other rider so you crash into him and the first one to pick their bike up made the pass. Man it seems like 1 or 2 cars every event are getting totaled. Makes you stop and think donít it.

--------------------
Al Angulo
Auto Instructor
Ford Senior Master Tech
ASE Master Tech

Jeremy Pike

Car #: 89
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jeremy Pike     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

First, that lap had to be some of the best racing I've seen. You get a whole new perspective from T-8 as a spectator.

Second, cars are expendable, people are not. Sometime last year a NASA tech came through and said about 5 sm cars needed SFI roll bar padding before the next race, in a couple hours. I was a little frustrated but have come to learn NASA is just more concerned with the safety of their drivers. Almost every weekend they check some of the cars for safety items like seat belt mounting and certification, double checking your window nets, socks, stuff like that. Pregrid they are looking for head and neck restraint tethers hooked up. Last 2 weekends they have been testing to make sure drivers can get out of their cars in the required 15 seconds.

Don't skimp on the safety gear. NASA requires a head and neck restraint system and why anybody would drive without one is beyond me. Same goes for a halo type seat. I don't quite understand the right side net, but I guess it does something if your seat has nothing. If you have seen JD's video, imagine what his head would have looked like without the hans and halo, alot more like a Mr. Bobble Head on someones dashboard.

Also thanks to Scott Miller for finding my bumper and putting it back on. Poor guy shows up and usually get put to work somewhere. Thanks Dan G, also always willing to lend a helping hand.

Amen, brother. I took about a 45 degree hit at the front and then the back end came around and hit again for a good side shot. It was like slow motion as my hands came off the wheel and my whole body shot to the front and right. Gotta LOVE head restraint seats AND the right side net AND good fitting, high quality belts (Schroth)AND the HANS!

Vodden should be even more thankful for good safety gear. He was unscathed as well with a much worse situation, ending up on his side.

I'll send you an SAE paper that explains the side net, Jeremy. Even with a head restraint seat I think it's a good thing.

The safety crew was great, too.

Cheers,

Dean

--------------------
www.molaps.com

Jeff Lyon Verified Driver
Still on Probation!

Region: NorCal/SFR
Car #: 17/19
Year : 92/89
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jeff Lyon   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Last year when my dad hit the T1 wall and rolled at Thunderhill in the reverse direction while trying to avoid another car spinning, he had a pronouned mark on his forhead from the helmet when it stopped due to the HANS. He just kept saying he couldn't imagine what would have happened to him had he not been wearing a HANS. I just cannot believe that they are not required in SCCA. I purchased mine in 2004 and wouldn't race without it.

It was great to see Dean and David walking around after the incident and I commend NASA on their efforts to maintain the highest safety regs for just that reason! [thumbsup]

--------------------
Jeff
NorCal/SFR
OneStopRaceShop

TORacing

Region: SFR-033
Car #: 10
Year : 94
Icon 1 posted  Profile for TORacing     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I had a great time racing w/ everyone this past weekend and want to thank Jerry and NASA for putting on a great weekend.

Dave and Dean drove awesome and it was fun watching it from the best seat in the house. I agree w/ Dean that if he could have somehow made it past Dave, he would have driven away...I was personally was glad he didn't. Dean you were truly driving extremely well. Great job!

When the wheels touched, I knew it wasn't going to be pretty, a bad place to have contact with the wall immediately to our right. I was very glad to see both drivers were uninjured and the safety devices all did their job.

I'll try to get my in car video posted of the side by side from turn 3 until the incident in 9 soon.

All the best,

Tommy O

Also wanted to give a shout out to the traveling carnival from the Northwest! You guys were a lot of fun and picked up the track quickly. Jeff - you can really wheel that car! You guys are limited with the SCM rules and you were still turning great lap times. Impressive with such a technical track as Infineon.

Nice meeting you all.

Dave - I hope your head heals up nicely! [Smile]

Cheers,

Dean

[ 06-30-2009, 09:16 AM: Message edited by: dtfastbear ]

--------------------
www.molaps.com

Enjoy, courtesy of IO Port Racing and their HD camera setup in Tommy O's car. I compressed it down from HD to an avi format for faster download.

http://www.molaps.com/videos/single_lap.avi

You can try for the full HD version - same link but .mov instead of .avi

Ken Meyer knows this video stuff inside and out, so be sure to look him up if you need a camera setup. He's got a stand setup at every NASA event.

Cheers,

Dean

--------------------
www.molaps.com

bpigpen

I'm glad you were both OK . great race to watch -sorry about the wreck-- congrats to Tommy, Danny,& Danny G. - another great nasa event-
Brucey

Zack Steinkamp Verified Driver

Car #: 47
Year : 1993
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Zack Steinkamp   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Wow, great video quality.

Awesome to see you guys racing so close, but it's really really too bad about what happened in T9. Just one of those things...

--------------------
http://www.dipity.com/

YOU NEED SOMETHING SPECIAL TO WATCH THIS?

--------------------

No, the avi link should just work. When it finishes processing, you should be able to watch the HD version here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gsomryd0So

Cheers,

Dean

--------------------
www.molaps.com

Kim Ouye Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Retired Racer

Car #: 82/73
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kim Ouye     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I see that more and more, tires rub and off you go...

Glad you guys came out of it okay.

--------------------
Kim

91 BRG SMT RIP
06 MX-5 Cup

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting 'Holy sh*t...what a ride!'" - Unknown

ToddW Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Objects in review mirror are losing

Car #: 67
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for ToddW     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Or one of the cars rolls over [Eek!]
>>>>tires rub and off you go...

Greg Garneau

Region: SF
Car #: 99
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Greg Garneau     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Its definitely one of the drawbacks of running with the 25mm offset wheels or spacers... Back in the early days of SM (when most ran Panasports and no spacers) the cars could run fender to fender for laps on end, now it just takes a touch or two and the cars are spinning off one way or another.

Kent Carter Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Future Never Has Been

Region: Houston
Car #: 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kent Carter   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Interesting question raised here: By pushing the wheels out in the wheel openings with offset and spacers, have we made our racing more dangerous/costly?

--------------------
Do I turn my 99 Hard S into a killerfast SM or seek a donor?

All I know is that if we would have just touched fenders instead of tires, we wouldn't have ended up in the wall.

I don't run spacers and I just run normal TD Race 1.2 wheels. I don't know what offset those are...

Keep in mind that this accident happened in a sweeping turn, so my front wheels are turned slightly. No amount of offset is going to keep the front tire completely under the fender when it's turning.

Dean

--------------------
www.molaps.com

Sean Allen Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Car #: 54!
Year : 90'
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Sean Allen   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

This had nothing to do with a 25mm offset wheel. They are hardley any closer to the fender opening then 30's are. Dean, the old 1.2's are 30mm offset.

Jeff Clark Verified Driver

Region: Oregon
Car #: 07, 74
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jeff Clark   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thanks Dean!

We all had a great time.

We will be back! At least once the new motor gets put in the old motor home. Broken oil ring on the way home.

It was great meeting everyone at Laguna & Sears.

Greg Garneau

Region: SF
Car #: 99
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Greg Garneau     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

We all know that wheel to wheel contact is bad, look at how the open wheel cars fly around when they have contact. I know looking at my car with the new TD wheels, they stick out of the fender as opposed to when I throw my Panasports on which are tucked in. The incident we had with Dr. Dan at Laguna would not have happened if we had 40mm offset wheels... Once our wheels touched, his car went left and ours right, the result of his left rear & our right front suddenly slowing/stopping. I am not saying Dean and Vodden's incident would not have happened, but once their wheels touched, they were just along for the ride. Sad to see another one of our old cars bite the dust.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: