Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » National Auto Sport Association » NASA Northwest » NASA Thunderhill - April 24/25 - Roll Call

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: NASA Thunderhill - April 24/25 - Roll Call
dtfastbear Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
faster than the average bear...

Region: SFR / NorCal
Car #: 72
Year : 93
Icon 1 posted  Profile for dtfastbear   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Who's in this weekend? Laura and I will be there racing SM. No V8 car this weekend, but it will make it to the next event.

I haven't seen the entry list, so I'm not sure what the entry list looks like.

Hope to see a good crowd of SM's out there!

Cheers,

Dean

--------------------
NASA Nor Cal SM series Director
www.molaps.com

Winner - Ford Racing Mustang Challenge Driver Shootout

Evil Genius Racing / Race Engineering / Stewart Development

DionJ Verified Driver

Region: SF
Car #: 68
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for DionJ     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'm out. With Laguna the next week and LeMons the week after, is there such thing as too much racing?

Icon 1 posted  Profile for dtfastbear   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Oh come on, Dion!! I'm doing all of those races AND the Evil Genius Test Day next Tuesday, too.

--------------------
www.molaps.com

Barry Verified Driver Series Champ

Region: San Francisco
Car #: 92 and 61
Year : 90/90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Barry   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'll be there. Sorry the V8 won't make it this time. I'm looking forward to seeing it lay down some serious black streaks off of each corner.

Dennis Clark Verified Driver

Region: SFR
Car #: 27
Year : 1994
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dennis Clark     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'll be there Dean. First time at Thunderhill this year!

Dennis

--------------------
3D Racing
Team Scrappy, car # 27

Paul Mitalas Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
"Safety Second"

Car #: 61
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Paul Mitalas     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Im trying to be there. I applied for my Nasa license last night. If it arrives in time I'll go. Anyone I can call to aski to hurry it along? I noticed the 510 area code on the fax I sent my application to. I can drive out to pick it up if I have to.

Cheers, Paul

Dennis Clark Verified Driver

Car #: 27
Year : 1994
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dennis Clark     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

duplicate post

--------------------
3D Racing
Team Scrappy, car # 27

mtm68 Verified Driver

Region: CalClub/ SFR
Car #: 67
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for mtm68     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'll be there heckling.

Pat Newton Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Enduro addict

Region: Northwest, Oregon
Car #: 79
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Pat Newton   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by mtm68:
I'll be there heckling.

Gotta stick with what you're best at... [Big Grin]

--------------------
Crew Chief, 3D Racing #64, aka Team Scrappy 2.0
3rd place E2, 2009 25 Hours of Thunderhill

Crew Chief, EGR/Miller Motorsports #64, aka Team Scrappy
E2 Champions, 2008 25 Hours of Thunderhill

Barry Verified Driver Series Champ

Region: San Francisco
Car #: 92 and 61
Year : 90/90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Barry   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'll be there. Sorry the V8 won't make it this time. I'm looking forward to seeing it lay down some serious black streaks off of each corner.

Double Trouble Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Field Filler

Region: SFR/NorCal
Car #: 16, 17, 18
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Double Trouble     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'll be running this weekend and looking forward to it. Also practicing a little with TrackMasters on Friday.

Kevin

--------------------
One Stop Race Shop

Jeff Lyon Verified Driver
Still on Probation!

Region: NorCal/SFR
Car #: 17/19
Year : 92/89
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jeff Lyon   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I will be there as well, really looking forward to it. Hopefully no war wounds this weekend. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Jeff
NorCal/SFR
OneStopRaceShop

mtm68 Verified Driver

Region: CalClub/ SFR
Car #: 67
Icon 1 posted  Profile for mtm68     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Pat Newton:
quote:
Originally posted by mtm68:
I'll be there heckling.

Gotta stick with what you're best at... [Big Grin]
Indeed!

dp35 Verified Driver

Car #: 51
Icon 1 posted  Profile for dp35     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Well - what happened???

--------------------
2010 SCCA Regional Driver of the Year
2010 25 Hours of Thunderhill E1 Class winner, MX-5 Cup

Oy! It was a great SM racing weekend but there was more bodywork to do as a result of contact than I've seen at a NASA event in a couple years... disappointing, really.

Laura was on pole on Saturday (2:05..8!) with Bruce Pendleton and Barry Hartzel rounding out the top 3. Bruce got by Laura in T1 at the start and although she got beside him more than once, Bruce held on to the lead and won. Laura was second and after a race long battle, Barry finished ahead of Vodden.

Sunday, Vodden decided to actually qualify, and in doing so, qualified on pole. Randy decided to run SM on Sunday and qualified second with Barry 3rd. Laura started from the back after qualifying 4th after being 3 lbs. light. [Frown] We weighed at least 10 cars after qual.

Vodden had no challengers on Sunday with a flag to flag win. I believe Randy Evans was second and Barry (or Bruce?) 3rd.

Along the way, in the Saturday Group A race (many miatas run in PTE) and in the Sunday SM race, there were MANY offs and spins and several car-to-car contact incidents. No one left with a totalled car, but there are quite a few fenders, tie rods, UCA/LCA's that either were required or are no required to race again... I saw many of the incidents happen, and sadly, most could have been pretty easily avoided.

It was nice that the entire field of 23 cars was within about 5-6 seconds of each other, so incidents were with cars racing each other - not lapping situations.

I hope everyone regroups and comes back to Thunderhill Clockwise in May with a little more focus and conservatism so all the cars can go back onto the trailers shiny at the end.

Cheers,

Dean

--------------------
www.molaps.com

Dr.Dan Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
V8, nice! And good for you too!

Region: san francisco region
Car #: 39
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dr.Dan     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

congrats to all. I was off flying all weekend. Next time. Camo man WILL return!!

A sample of what I was doing this last weekend. Our own Steve Holifield #44 SMT was flight lead.
http://s456.photobucket.com/albums/qq285/danimaldds/m...¤t=mmmflight007.flv

[ 04-27-2010, 01:21 PM: Message edited by: Dr. Dan ]

--------------------
Daniel Mairani DDS...still here, just faster.
http://www.DanielMairanidds.com

"Safety Second"

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Paul Mitalas     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

It was my first NASA event and I had a great time. Everyone made me feel very welcome. I'll be back.

I assure you, the lead 5 cars were racing! I was running 6th at the back of the lead pack and every few laps I'd come up on a Hartzel, or Vodden, or Pendleton rentering the track. It was like a whos-who NASA nature hike. But I guess I would spook them, as I never got by them.

The most damage my car suffered was when my passenger seat lept off a shelf in my trailer onto my trunk lid, poking a hole in it, then proceeded to erode my bumper has it rubbed against it for 200 miles. Just painted the whole car last month. Sheeesh.

Mighty Mike Made Donation to Website

Car #: 42 & 92
Year : 91 & 93
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mighty Mike     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Dan, That was hella cool. Was that with a gopro. It looked like you guy were very close.

Michael Niemann
Team MiataKa Racing

dp35 Verified Driver

Icon 1 posted  Profile for dp35     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

2:05.8 - Way to go Laura!

Whatever Wheeties she had for breakfast up there, please don't bring it to LS this weekend.

--------------------

That's with the bypass, but still... [Smile]

--------------------
www.molaps.com

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dr.Dan     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

See all that exercise that Laura gets is paying off. Us margie drinkers don't stand a chance now.

Yes Mike we were close. 3 feet lateral and 3 feet down. So on a diagonal we are about 10-12 feet apart. No that was a AIPTEK HD

--------------------

Laura Thomas Verified Driver

Year : 1993
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Laura Thomas     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Dan - where were the barrel rolls and spins?

--------------------
MoLaps #72

That's for later. It's thrilling enough to fly that close.. Nice job on the track LT!!

--------------------

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Laura Thomas     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thanks! Must have been the chicken mole, since that's what Dean always gets.

--------------------
MoLaps #72

I'LL GET IT NEXT TIME AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS. COMMENTS?

--------------------

"Safety Second"

The secret to Laura's speed was not the chicken mole...Dean sabotaged her brakes. Every time I saw him he was torquing her wheels. How does someone that, um, meticulous, not notice rotors so cracked they looked a sliced pizza? Laura, I'm sorry this is the way you had to find out. [Smile]

It wouldn't be the first time that a driver whose brakes were nearly inoperable set his/her fastest lap!

That rotor definitely looked like a pacman. And even given the mountain of evidence to the contrary, I'll maintain that I didn't *intend* to send her out on the track to qualify with horrifically dangerously damaged brakes...

--------------------
www.molaps.com

Although a severely cracked rotor isn't the SAFEST speed secret out there, it sure is effective!

--------------------
MoLaps #72

FYI - The published provisional results are now FINAL.

There were some fuel samples taken on Sunday in impound from the top 4. Those have been processed and no issues found.

Cheers,

Dean

--------------------
www.molaps.com

dp35 Verified Driver

Speaking of brake issues at TH last weekend, here's a serious example:

Youtube video

Looks like the wall & every bit of saftey equipment did their jobs well. Wasn't it this section of wall that was added after a similar incident resulted in a double fatality?

--------------------

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: