Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » National Auto Sport Association » NASA Northwest » Infineon - June 26-27 - Roll Call!! (Page 2)

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic
Page 2 of 3 1  2  3  next » 

Author Topic: Infineon - June 26-27 - Roll Call!!
Sean Allen Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: SFR
Car #: 54!
Year : 90'
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Sean Allen   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I've got internet access if we need it. I'm sure we will be able to find an online stream of the game. (justin.tv im sure will have one)

dp35 Verified Driver

Car #: 51
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for dp35     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Turns out my open wheel pit partner can't make it. So I'll be hoping to pit with my SM people. Juan - are you orchestrating the pit corral, or are you out of your element at NASA?

I noticed they won't let us setup our pits until 5:00 PM Friday. I'll be there for the Friday test day.

--------------------
2010 SCCA Regional Driver of the Year
2010 25 Hours of Thunderhill E1 Class winner, MX-5 Cup

Dr.Dan Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
V8, nice! And good for you too!

Region: san francisco region
Car #: 39
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dr.Dan     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

And I think you have to leave and re-enter, but who knows. It's like the gold rush when they do this. I'll look you up Darrin. But they will make go up top in the dirt first. Nice to know that we are now good enough for you. ;-). I spiking your drinks.. [duck]

--------------------
Daniel Mairani DDS...still here, just faster.
http://www.DanielMairanidds.com

Juan Pineda Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: San Francisco
Car #: 34
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Juan Pineda   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I don't do NASA much, so I don't know the routine. The SM/E30/GTS paddock area is unavailable on Friday even if you are testing, so we can't save space there anyway. I'll move to that area with everyone else when they open it up.

-Juan

--------------------
www.ArtOfRoadRacing.com Race Craft Clinic - Thunderhill - 30 Jan 2011

Veteran Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Sean Allen   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'll be there with 2 cars. Friends doing HPDE in his Miata.

Veteran Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Juan Pineda   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Who else is testing Friday?

--------------------

TORacing

Region: SFR-033
Car #: 10
Year : 94
Icon 1 posted  Profile for TORacing     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'll be testing Juan...trying out the Fat Cat bump stops!

Tommy O

Dan Cooper Verified Driver

Car #: 35
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dan Cooper     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

How'd the second race go this weekend?

--------------------
Dan
--
Green Miata #35
Integriteam/Integratis

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dr.Dan     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

T.O, Darrin, Jeremy and me. Darrin sent to last (underweight).

--------------------

Dan Cooper Verified Driver

Car #: 35
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dan Cooper     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Oh Bummer.

You guys had an awesome race on Saturday, wish i could have seen Sunday...

--------------------
Dan
--
Green Miata #35
Integriteam/Integratis

Kim Ouye Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Retired Racer

Car #: 82/73
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kim Ouye     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Dan:
Darrin sent to last (underweight).

Well...he is a little pipsqeak.... [Smile]

--------------------
Kim

91 BRG SMT RIP
06 MX-5 Cup

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting 'Holy sh*t...what a ride!'" - Unknown

Kim Ouye Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Retired Racer

Car #: 82/73
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kim Ouye     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Dan:
Darrin sent to last (underweight).

Well...he is a little pipsqeak.... [Smile]

--------------------
Kim

91 BRG SMT RIP
06 MX-5 Cup

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting 'Holy sh*t...what a ride!'" - Unknown

unfortunately Darrin missed a shift out of t7 jug handle, and I got by, almost. I was 95% in front turning into 8 and he got into my bumper and spun me. He did not mean to of course, but he could have shown better car savvy. All good. that was for 2nd. minor damage and a little luck. just flat tires. I'm not mad Darrin. ok? I'll post it when I figure my new camera out. it kind of funny because the slide goes on for what seems like a really long time. Btw my C and R radiator performed very well in 90 degree heat. Looks like a real solid build.

--------------------

Veteran Member

Good weekend, fun being back in the car!

-

dtfastbear Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
faster than the average bear...

Region: SFR / NorCal
Car #: 72
Year : 93
Icon 1 posted  Profile for dtfastbear   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I don't have any spec miata footage to share, since I hogged our chasecam all weekend in the V8 car. But, I do have this:

http://www.vimeo.com/12905374

The spec miata races were good fun to watch both days!! The racing was pretty clean, but there were a few minor scrapes from [too] close racing. Here's the Contact Form Crew on Sunday afternoon. At least they're all still smiling!

-

Great weekend!

--------------------
NASA Nor Cal SM series Director
www.molaps.com

Winner - Ford Racing Mustang Challenge Driver Shootout

Evil Genius Racing / Race Engineering / Stewart Development

Jeff Lyon Verified Driver
Still on Probation!

Region: NorCal/SFR
Car #: 17/19
Year : 92/89
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jeff Lyon   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Hey to all, had a great weekend. Got a little warm and slick on Sunday. I wish NASA would give us a little more room in the paddock so we could all pit together.

So some of you have heard the story of the $250 Spec Miata that I was telling over the weekend. I raced our latest car for the first time. It was a car that I bought from a co-worker and it had been sitting in his yard for several years. So I trailered it to my house where it sat for a few more then it finally got built into a Spec Miata. It had a straight body and was an '89 build so I figured it would be light. We built it and figured we would try and start it, what the heck. We removed all the snail carcuses and webs from the motor and drained the fuel tank and installed a new fuel pump and it fired right up. And after replacing the clutch slave cylinder and master to slave supply line the clutch worked too. One problem, the clutch disc was frozen to the flywheel after sitting for so long, so after doing some donuts on the property bouncing off of the rev limiter I managed to free up the clutch disc as well. So after doing about 12 to 15 laps of testing at Thill and over 191k miles on the clock I figured I would race it. Well besides having an open diff the car felt pretty good. Sunday, the motor really felt like it was giving up power toward the end of the race but it made it. I weigh 225 and I weighed in at 2295 with 3/8 tank of fuel. I think I will drop in a new motor and clutch, slip in a LSD and take it to Nationals in September. [Smile]

--------------------
Jeff
NorCal/SFR
OneStopRaceShop

Still on Probation!

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jeff Lyon   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Almost forgot, I had a couple of good battles, tried to keep pace with Juan and Laura, they had a great battle and I have it all on video... enjoy. http://www.vimeo.com/12919005

--------------------
Jeff
NorCal/SFR
OneStopRaceShop

Veteran Member

Hey Jeff, Thanks for posting that video. Great drive in that car with all that wheel spin.

That little flag on my bumper is a riot. It finally did the trick, as no one hit me, and the bumper finally stayed put. As they say: third time's the charm!

And for some that might have heard me say that it was Jeff that turned me around and knocked my bumper off (for the second time!) in the first race, you should know that I was mistaken. Jeff was the prime suspect, as he was immediately behind me going into the turn. But what I didn't realize was that another car had pulled up along side him in the braking zone, and that was the car that got into me, not Jeff. Unfortunately that driver did not come to impound (as required) to claim responsibility, so I was clueless about the mistaken identity until he approached me later to apologize.

So my public apologies to Jeff for mistakenly identifying him. Sorry Jeff!

-Juan

--------------------

Still on Probation!

No problem Juan. Some reputations are just hard to live down [Roll Eyes] as Laura will never let me forget [duck]

I had a great time running with you Juan, thanks for adding the comic relief! [rolling on floor laughin] The bumper was a riot.

--------------------
Jeff
NorCal/SFR
OneStopRaceShop

Veteran Member

quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Lyon:
No problem Juan. Some reputations are just hard to live down [Roll Eyes] as Laura will never let me forget [duck]

As the Dr. will never let me forget mine...

quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Lyon:
I had a great time running with you Juan, thanks for adding the comic relief! [rolling on floor laughin] The bumper was a riot.

It was fun racing with you too, Jeff. Been a while.

Ah, that bumper's got lots of racing life left. It's just got a bit more personality than most. [Big Grin]

-Juan

--------------------

Veteran Member

Dean,

That's an awesome Miata. I think that debris flag in T3 was for the Factory Five. Thanks for posting video!

-Juan

--------------------

dp35 Verified Driver

Icon 1 posted  Profile for dp35     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

In Dean's video, the debris flag in 3 was for oil from the blown up Mini, which Dean was the last to get by. You can see it going up in smoke in his mirror at around 6:40 of the video.

I learned more on Sunday than any other race so far. The contact with Dan was a real bummer - sorry again Dan. I haven't looked at my video yet, and assuming it recorded, I'll post it.

The weight thing was weird, because the track's scales were all over the place all weekend. But that's all the more reason to not push the limit. Live & learn.

It was great to see a bunch of people that I hadn't seen for a while, or met before.

--------------------

Still on Probation!

+1 on the weight thing. I weighed on Sat with the needle on E and came in at 2310, Then on Sun after the race with 3/8 of a tank I weighed 2295. Go figure [Confused]

--------------------
Jeff
NorCal/SFR
OneStopRaceShop

Icon 1 posted  Profile for dtfastbear   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Even a small % error turns in to 20+ lbs pretty easily around 2300 lbs... Remember, track scales have cars driving on and off of them all day long. They sit out in the cold, sun and rain and they take a beating. So, if you want to cut it even remotely close, weigh often throughout the weekend!

I think of cutting it close on weight just like cutting it close on fuel (presumably to save weight): If you are quite a bit over, you've only given up only a very small performance advantage. If you are just a hair under, you've thrown away your entire race.

Of course, this is very easy for me to preach because I've never rolled across the scales at less than 30lbs over weight because our car has a heavy 93 chassis and I, personally, have a heavy 41-year-old chassis!

YMMV,

Dean

--------------------
www.molaps.com

Veteran Member

Who would have thought one bumper would cause so much angst, and provide so much comic relief, both in the same weekend?

-

--------------------

dp35 Verified Driver

You don't need to go to LeMons to do hillbilly stuff.

--------------------

Juan,

As a NASA Official, I'm sorry to tell you that I think your car no longer passes the 50/50 rule.

As a spectator at the esses on Sunday, I can in fact confirm that it doesn't even pass the 100/80 rule. [Wink]

Dean

--------------------
www.molaps.com

dp35 Verified Driver

Here's my video of Sunday's race:
http://www.vimeo.com/12935698

--------------------

It was like a leaf floating by! Need to mount that camera a tad higher Darrin.

--------------------

Veteran Member

quote:
Originally posted by dtfastbear:
Juan,

As a NASA Official, I'm sorry to tell you that I think your car no longer passes the 50/50 rule.

As a spectator at the esses on Sunday, I can in fact confirm that it doesn't even pass the 100/80 rule. [Wink]

Dean

Oh it just needs a little brake clean to get all those black marks off. And those Frankenstein stitches are for character.

-Juan

--------------------

Laura Thomas Verified Driver

Year : 1993
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Laura Thomas     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Fun weekend! Thanks Jeff for posting your video, since I had none. Juan, that tail was a great idea since it took the attention off of the crinkled bodywork!

The scales seemed to be in sync for me all weekend from when I weighed on Saturday morning to Sunday afternoon.

Jeff - you guys took off before I remembered to get the wheel to you for Doug - bummer! See, some things I DO forget.

--------------------
MoLaps #72

Still on Probation!

Don't worry Laura, I just told Doug that you forgot to bring the wheel [Wink] J/K.

--------------------
Jeff
NorCal/SFR
OneStopRaceShop

Veteran Member

I don't mean to start up any drama again, but I don't really see why Darin is claimed to be 100% at fault? Seemed to me he was already at the edge of the track with no where to go?

[ 06-29-2010, 08:35 PM: Message edited by: Sean Allen ]

--------------------

Congrats to Petruska on his first SSM win!!

It's great to see the NASA SSM class starting to take shape with a few participants each event.

--------------------
www.molaps.com

Veteran Member

Some more photo's for your viewing pleasure:

-

-

[ 06-29-2010, 08:39 PM: Message edited by: Sean Allen ]

--------------------

Jeremy Pike

Car #: 89
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jeremy Pike     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I just did an unofficial test. I set my car up with a cool suit filled with water. Then at the track I take out about a gallon of water and add ice. My unofficial result is that about a gallon of ice weighs half that of a gallon of water.

Veteran Member

My race Sunday:

http://vimeo.com/12966097

Good battles, lots of fun. And the bumper doesn't get hit and knocked off this time! The flag white worked.

Enjoy!
-Juan

--------------------

ToddW Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Objects in review mirror are losing

Car #: 67
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for ToddW     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

@Jeremy:My unofficial result is that about a gallon of ice weighs half that of a gallon of water.

Water is approximately 1000kg/cubic meter, and Ice is approximately 917kg/cubic meter right at the freezing
point of water (0 degrees C). This is supported by the fact that It floats on water.

Assuming you replaced an identical volume of water with ice, the weight would be reduced by (1000-917)/1000
or 8.3%. If you replace water with cubes, the weight reduction would be much greater due to the air gaps between
the cubes taking up former water volume.

Sorry, had a geek moment.

Still on Probation!

Hey Todd, we missed you last weekend, where were you and your geekiness? [Smile]

--------------------
Jeff
NorCal/SFR
OneStopRaceShop

Jeremy Pike

Car #: 89
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jeremy Pike     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Learn something new everyday. Thanks Todd.

Aaron ran out of gas huh? that sucks..AIR..

--------------------

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Laura Thomas     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I feel bad because I think he got distracted by shuttling my guests around before the race. D'oh!

--------------------
MoLaps #72

Veteran Member

Aaron was quick. I doubt Laura and I had anything for him, had he caught up. Good strategy Laura! [Smile]

-Juan

--------------------

Still on Probation!

Laura, feel bad??? Well this is a first! [duck] Sounds like good strategy to me, I certainly had nothing for him.

--------------------
Jeff
NorCal/SFR
OneStopRaceShop

aaron braverman

Car #: 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for aaron braverman     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Shuttling around guests had nothing to do with it. Just losing my mind!!!!!

SCCA_Racer

Region: 33 SFR
Icon 1 posted  Profile for SCCA_Racer   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Juan,

I wantched you in car video and did you notice that the picture was nice and clear until you really long run on the rumples our of 5? The rest of the video the camera never fully recovered. Is the camera alright?

--------------------
Joshua Fine
SCCA member 323214 since 2003
Novice Permit in 2010
Racing 2011

Veteran Member

Aaron, Oh come on, give Laura some credit for tricking you. [Smile]

Joshua, Camera is fine. The bump confused the focus, and it stayed confused for the rest of the session. Back to normal once turned off and back on.

-Juan

--------------------

Maybe it wasn't the shuttling. It could have been the calculus questions I asked Aaron to solve right before getting in the car...

Now everyone knows my trick.

--------------------
MoLaps #72

Page 2 of 3 1  2  3  next » 

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: