Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » National Auto Sport Association » NASA Southwest » NASA MSRH January Race Rules (Page 3)

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic
Page 3 of 3 1  2  3 

Author Topic: NASA MSRH January Race Rules
trimless1 Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Low Budget Member

Region: Southwest
Car #: 11
Year : 99 and 93
Icon 1 posted  Profile for trimless1     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

James,

This 1st NASA race at MSRH allowed the 99's to run under last years weight and plate due the the late arrival of the official 37MM plates.

You may be right on the difference at the faster tracks. We will see soon enough.

--------------------
Gale Corley
99 SM GRE Super Deluxe
93 SM GRE Jr. Deluxe

Cajun Miata Man Verified Driver
Overdog Driver

Region: Houston; SWDIV
Car #: 15
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Cajun Miata Man     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Gale,

Yea, it will shake out. All I have is dyno data so far. Maybe at the March TWS national I'll run a back to back run on the test day and see the on track difference. I guess I could do it at MSRH next week to if Ed remembers to bring his 37mm plate.

See you TWS. [Cool]

--------------------
James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA
powered by:
East Street Racing, Memphis TN
set up guru:
Gilfus Racing, Austin TX

Andy Rushing Verified Driver Series Champ
2009 NASA SM National Champion

Region: Lone Star
Car #: 5
Year : '91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Andy Rushing     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Cajun Miata Man:
quote:
Originally posted by trimless1:
No video but I do have some data. My fast lap this weekend in my 1.6 was 0.20 seconds faster than my 99 which I ran at the same track in November. I know running back to back on the same day would yield better comparisons but I only have a 1 car trailer. Weather was very similar in November.

Bottom line both cars are close in lap times at MSRH so it will be intersting to see the effects on the 99's lap time under the new NASA rules. My guess is a loss of 0.30 per lap at MSRH, probably less at faster tracks.

Gale,

Wouldn't it be more of a time loss at faster tracks where HP is more of a factor than the quantity of turns/mile at MSRH? I was thinking the NASA rules would really hurt the 99 at places like TMS, RA, the longer tracks

So this race the 99s were in the 2010 rules trim?

Exactly James...

The 37mm plate will hurt the '99 at TWS/TMS, not so nearly as much at MSRH. Horse power isn't the big factor at MSRH--the 60 lbs knocked off the '99 might actually get it close to equal lap time with the 2450 weight with big restrictor. Overall though, I am certainly of the opinion that they still need to take some measurable weight off the '99 in NASA trim to get it right--but their approach of closing the weight and hp+tq gap is just too logical [Smile] The NASA 94-97 needs to get slowed down too--probably smaller plate as opposed to more weight. )

Yes, they raced this past weekend at MSRH in old trim (big plate, big weight)...

--------------------
Andy Rushing

MPR22

Car #: 22
Year : 92'
Icon 1 posted  Profile for MPR22     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Only problem with dropping more weight off the 99 is that some of us larger individuals won't be able to make the NASA 99 weight. I can strip about 30 lbs out of the car, but that would leave me about 37lbs heavy with one gallon of gas. I could loose 37 lbs but then I would make weight in my 1.6 and it would potentially be the better car at the faster tracks. Not to mention I would have to give up eating for 2 months.

--------------------
Michael Ross

Luke Bickham

Region: SW
Car #: 66
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Luke Bickham     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Results?

MPR22

Icon 1 posted  Profile for MPR22     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I believe 25 SMs started the race, one of, if not the largest turnouts for a NASA Texas race in years.

Sat Race 1) Udell 1.6, Duarte 1.6, Haldeman 99, Collings 99, Corley 1.6.

Sat Race 2) Udell 1.6, Haldeman 99, Ott 1.6 (Started 27th), Corely 1.6, Duarte 1.6

Sun Race Collings 99, Kellerher 99, Udell, Mr The Tard" 1.6, Gabriel 99

Congrats to all.

[ 01-31-2011, 01:57 PM: Message edited by: MPR22 ]

--------------------
Michael Ross

Willie the Tard Verified Driver

Region: NASA Texas
Car #: 8
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Willie the Tard   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by MPR22:
I believe 25 SMs started the race, one of, if not the largest turnouts for a NASA Texas race in years.

Sat Race 2) Udell 1.6, Haldeman 99, Ott 1.6 (Started 27th), Corely 1.6, Duarte 1.6

Sun Race Collings 99, Kellerher 99, Udell, "Tard" Gabriel

Congrats to all.

you forgot a comma between Tard and Gabriel -- Brett is not tard -- and it is "The Tard"

--------------------
William Keeling a.k.a. Willie the Tard

MPR22

quote:
Originally posted by Willie the Tard:
quote:
Originally posted by MPR22:

Sun Race Collings 99, Kellerher 99, Udell, "Tard" Gabriel

Congrats to all.

you forgot a comma between Tard and Gabriel -- Brett is not tard -- and it is "The Tard"
Duly noted and corrected sir. By the way, nice finish on Sunday, and you said you didn't like the rain.

--------------------
Michael Ross

Willie the Tard Verified Driver

Region: NASA Texas
Car #: 8
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Willie the Tard   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I don't I just drove around slowly a watched most everyone spin off or get knocked off

--------------------
William Keeling a.k.a. Willie the Tard

Page 3 of 3 1  2  3 

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: