Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » National Auto Sport Association » NASA Southwest » NorCal & SoCal NASA: October 10th & 11th, 2009 @ Buttonwillow - ROLL CALL (Page 2)

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic
Page 2 of 2 1  2 

Author Topic: NorCal & SoCal NASA: October 10th & 11th, 2009 @ Buttonwillow - ROLL CALL
John Mueller Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Okay, not the slowest anymore...

Region: SoCal
Car #: 13
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for John Mueller   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Yea, Angela is gonna do great.

Big ups to all the NorCal fellas for coming down to play.

UPDATE: I'm currently waiting for my insurance company to give authorization for me to schedule a CAT Scan of my arm. I saw a Orthopedic doc today and it don't look good, there is a 4mm gap/break/slide in the area where the radius meets my wrist (where the cartilage sits). We need the CT to determine how major the surgery will be. This is beginning to suck. But it still does not hurt too badly.

Huge thanks to Eric, Rob, Tyler & Ethan for helping pack my gear and to 7's Only & Mike Rose for squaring away it all for me... Recovery is gonna be longer than I first believed.

--------------------
Thanks,
John Mueller
NASA SM National Director
http://www.Weekend-Racer.com
#13 "Tiger Miata" - 2009 SoCal SSM Champion

Jason Holland Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Mediocrity rules!

Region: SouthEast
Car #: 28
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jason Holland   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Sorry to hear about your injury... what happened? Did I miss that?

--------------------
Jason Holland
Semi-interested civilian

Brian B

Region: So. Cal
Car #: 64
Year : 2001
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Brian B     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by John Mueller:
Recovery is gonna be longer than I first believed.

Hang in there John, keep us all up-to-date. We will all be thinking about you.

It was a freak accident and could of happened to any of us.

let us know how the scan goes...

Regards, Brian.

--------------------
Brian Bender
SM 64

HWJunkie

Car #: 78
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for HWJunkie   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Get well soon John, I hope it's not major!

Speaking of freak accidents, this was a weird one (for me at least)... On Sunday (no bus stop) I was passed by one of the E30's just as I was turning in to Riverside, he started to spin, I went high, he started going up, I went low, he started going low, I continued straight while braking hard, and probably would have hit him when another E30 came flying by and slammed the other E30 off the track and out of my way (thanks)... Go to 9:30 on the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRynG_WaYoc

--------------------
Marc Simon

Rob Burgoon Verified Driver

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Rob Burgoon     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Jason Holland:
Sorry to hear about your injury... what happened? Did I miss that?

An RX-8 tracked out into him and hit one of his front wheels. John somehow managed to have his right arm in a bad place when the steering wheel whipped around.

--------------------
It really makes my week when nobody crashes into me.

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Rob Burgoon     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by HWJunkie:
probably would have hit him when another E30 came flying by and slammed the other E30 off the track and out of my way (thanks)...

I knew those E30 guys were good for SOMETHING! [duck]

--------------------

Tvance13

Car #: 85
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Tvance13   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Forget it. Not worth the effort.

--------------------
http://TylerVanceRacing.com

quote:
Go to 9:30 on the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRynG_WaYoc

Just watched it. Holy crap that was funny. Reminds me of some of the SCCA RX-7s.

--------------------

Angela Swan Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: NASA SoCal and CalClub
Car #: 87
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Angela Swan     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

John, really sorry to hear that your wrist is worse than first thought. Hopefully it will continue to not cause you much pain and you'll be able to come back out soon.

Turns out my camera now isn't letting me watch Saturday's start but the damage is still there, darn! At any rate, here's a cool pic Ryan took of Sunday's start:

http://nasasocal.smugmug.com/Other/Buttonwillow-Oct-2009/9947890_SPDjs#679117704_mruZg

quote:
Originally posted by Eric Richter:
So Angela is our new series director? I didn't know, congrats Angela.

Thanks Eric. An official announcement is coming...news travels fast in the paddock though! [scratchchin] John is taking some well-deserved family time and has been gracious enough to advise me in continuing to support our class [thumbsup] .

--------------------
Angela Swan

Dennis Clark Verified Driver

Region: SFR
Car #: 27
Year : 1994
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dennis Clark     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Here's my video of the Saturday start. I continued for 2 laps but the wire broke off my oil pressure sender so I took the pit road when the gauge went to zero.

http://vimeo.com/7038615

Sorry for the hit Ethan, glad you were back on Sunday. And that pass in the last lap in Sunset I talked to you about was the A race so it wasn't you. Too many red Miatas!

Good times, fun track. Thanks SoCal. Come to Thunderhill next year we'll return the favor. How about it Dean?

Dennis

--------------------
3D Racing
Team Scrappy, car # 27

Sean Allen Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Car #: 54!
Year : 90'
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Sean Allen   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Why not a Norcal/Socal race at Infineon?

quote:
Originally posted by Sean Allen:
Why not a Norcal/Socal race at Infineon?

We would make abstract art in turn 3a, that's why. [Smile]

--------------------

quote:
Originally posted by Tvance13:
Forget it. Not worth the effort.

I think there should be a penalty for throwing down a gauntlet and picking it back up.

I had my popcorn out and everything...

--------------------

dtfastbear Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
faster than the average bear...

Region: SFR / NorCal
Car #: 72
Year : 93
Icon 1 posted  Profile for dtfastbear   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Well, Rob, if you're PLANNING to crash, then I don't think bringing the cats and dogs together makes sense at either track!! [Smile]

Sounds like this weekend was a success, and that generally the SoCal gang liked having the NorCal gang in the mix and the NorCal boys enjoyed both the company and the change of venue. We'd be happy to return the favor at either Infineon or Thunderhill. If you have a strong preference, raise your hand now!

I'll talk to Jerry - I'm sure we can work something out. I gather that making it a points race (in case you didn't know, the NorCal guys were racing for NorCal season points this past weekend!) encourages more participation, so we should probably do that in both directions.

Other suggestions, speak up!

I'm really sorry I missed the weekend. The wedding in Chicago was tons of fun, but I would have been happier at B-Willow.

Cheers,

Dean

--------------------
NASA Nor Cal SM series Director
www.molaps.com

Winner - Ford Racing Mustang Challenge Driver Shootout

Evil Genius Racing / Race Engineering / Stewart Development

Icon 1 posted  Profile for John Mueller   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

T-hill in the 25hr config... Would be nice to get some laps there in the light of day.

--------------------
Thanks,
John Mueller

quote:
Originally posted by dtfastbear:
Well, Rob, if you're PLANNING to crash

Not planning on crashing, but a man has got to know his limitations! [Smile] I love infineon, but I need more practice there.

T-hill is a long haul from San Diego, but it's much more forgiving if you don't know the track inside and out.

However, you guys have most of your people in the bay area right? So for you guys to come down, its a 4 hour drive. Most of us are in LA/OC. It's what... 7 hours to infineon? 8.5 for me? Much easier for you guys to visit us than for us to visit you.

I'd rather cra... *visit* one of your events and not have it be a SoCal points deal.

--------------------

Veteran Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Sean Allen   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
T-hill in the 25hr config... Would be nice to get some laps there in the light of day.

There is a 25hr config?

Brian B

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Brian B     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
... Go to 9:30 on the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRynG_WaYoc

I cried laughing!

Those E30 guys are nuts.

Marc, I'm glad you just got a front row seat and not a involved.

--------------------
Brian Bender
SM 64

Brian B

quote:
Originally posted by dtfastbear:

Other suggestions, speak up!

Dean

next year do 2 of them, 1 each direction.

Have a SM CA, mini series that is 3 races. 2 race weekends we just need 3 of the races so we can have a dinner the last Saturday nite and presentation of the trophys for the SM CA mini series champ.

--------------------
Brian Bender
SM 64

HWJunkie

Icon 1 posted  Profile for HWJunkie   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Brian B:
quote:

I cried laughing!

Those E30 guys are nuts.

Yeah, front row seat is right, it didn't look that bad on the video, when it was happening at over 100 MPH it seemed much crazier!! Take alook at 5:00 into this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4yB-XlvIVA and tell me who had the line into the last corner, unless i'm crazy, I had the it and they ran me off the track where there was some kind of car part, i'm lucky, I must not have ran over it....

--------------------
Marc Simon

Jonathan Christian Verified Driver

Region: south pacific
Car #: 31
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jonathan Christian   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Brian B:
quote:

I cried laughing!

Those E30 guys are nuts.

Yeah, front row seat is right, it didn't look that bad on the video, when it was happening at over 100 MPH it seemed much crazier!! Take alook at 5:00 into this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4yB-XlvIVA and tell me who had the line into the last corner, unless i'm crazy, I had the it and they ran me off the track where there was some kind of car part, i'm lucky, I must not have ran over it....
Stop driving in your mirrors [Cool]

HWJunkie

quote:
Stop driving in your mirrors [Cool]
I'm a newbie, what can I say, I learn something new every race, now I know to stop watching the mirrors...

--------------------
Marc Simon

Jeremy Pike

Car #: 89
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jeremy Pike     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Marc,

Yes, you did have the line into the corner and deserved some racing room. But those E30's started behind us and I am guessing they were probably the leaders in class. I possibly would have gave a point by after Lost Hill for the first one, but definately I would have gave those two room/time to get by before the last turn. I can just imagine, the guy that got by you in the sweeper was probably planning this after lost hill "If I can get by this guy in the sweeper, then the next two guys will get caught behind him at least through the esses and I can pull away." He got an even better gift when they couldn't get by you before Sunset as you all slowed excessively and the E30 leader just pulled away.

HWJunkie

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Pike:
Marc,

Yes, you did have the line into the corner and deserved some racing room. But those E30's started behind us and I am guessing they were probably the leaders in class. I possibly would have gave a point by after Lost Hill for the first one, but definately I would have gave those two room/time to get by before the last turn. I can just imagine, the guy that got by you in the sweeper was probably planning this after lost hill "If I can get by this guy in the sweeper, then the next two guys will get caught behind him at least through the esses and I can pull away." He got an even better gift when they couldn't get by you before Sunset as you all slowed excessively and the E30 leader just pulled away.

I hear ya, now that i've raced at my 3 local tracks, I know what to so and what not to do and how to go faster. Next time I go back to each one, it will be much easier for me, i'm learning as I go... I thought about letting the first one by earlier but he wasn't close enough and I knew he'd be close enough in the sweeper so I went wide and let him by, the other two I didn't think were close enough to pass in the last turn or I would have let them by, but I was wrong obviously... I was racing to stay ahead of William...

--------------------
Marc Simon

Gibscreen Verified Driver Series Champ

Region: NASA-SoCal
Car #: 23
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gibscreen   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
quote:

There is a 25hr config?
25 Hour uses the bypass for turn 5 instead of going up the hill.

--------------------
Rob Gibson
RJ Racing
2010 NASA Nationals TTE Champion
2008/2009 WERC Champion
2007 NASA SoCal SM Champion
rjracing.net
Weekend-Racer.com

Veteran Member

NASA always uses the bypass

Gibscreen Verified Driver Series Champ

Region: NASA-SoCal
Car #: 23
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gibscreen   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
NASA always uses the bypass

Then I guess NASA configuration = 25 Hour configuration.

--------------------
Rob Gibson
RJ Racing
2010 NASA Nationals TTE Champion
2008/2009 WERC Champion
2007 NASA SoCal SM Champion
rjracing.net
Weekend-Racer.com

bpigpen

Region: sfr
Car #: 20
Icon 1 posted  Profile for bpigpen     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

not always

Veteran Member

Isn't it nasa policy to run the bypass? I don't run with them enough to know, but I thought they use it all the time?

For those who have asked...
I will be having surgery on my busted arm Wed morning (10/21). The plan is to install a plate, a few pins and screws. Doc expects me to be out of the cast/splint in 2-weeks to start therapy. This all will keep me out of a car for this yrs 25hr, but I'll be there helping out the team best I can.

Thanks for all the well wishes.

--------------------
Thanks,
John Mueller

Mend well and mend soon!

--------------------

bpigpen

Region: sfr
Car #: 20
Icon 1 posted  Profile for bpigpen     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

John ;
I hope your recovery goes well. All the best.
Bruce P.

GW

Icon 1 posted  Profile for GW     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

we'll all miss you John while your out but keep us posted with your activities and how your son is doing in karting. And thanks for doing a great job heading up So Cal SM. We'll expect to see you at Miller next year!
Best wishes,
Grant

Page 2 of 2 1  2 

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: