Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » National Auto Sport Association » NASA Southwest » Seat Questions

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Seat Questions
Champ

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Champ   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Hello all,
We're building a SM and wondering what the most common seat choice is for a guy 6'3"? Also, do most cars run a passengers seat or not?
Thanks,
Paul

--------------------
'99 Miata (1.8l) purchased and dedicated to SM in '09

Eric Richter Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: So Cal
Car #: #29
Year : 1993
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Eric Richter     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

not sure about the right seat for a 6'3" driver, not real common to run a passenger seat. I have a race seat and harness I can pop in for instructing or giving "rides" but leave it out to race

--------------------
2009 SoCal SCCA SM Champion
"Only boring people get bored"

jj15ball

Region: SE
Car #: 15
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for jj15ball     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The Ultrashield is a good choice. I use the stock seat rails, removed the stock front hump and rear mounts, welded in some 2" x 2" plates and bolted it to the floor. I originally only removed the rear mounts, but the additional layback made it uncomfortable with the hans and my shoulders were to far away from the wheel. The key is to use a small diameter steering wheel to have enough room for your knees. And make sure your cage harness bar extends back past the seatbelt towers so you can move the seat all the way back.

--------------------
Jason Ball

Greg Kimble Verified Driver

Region: CFR
Car #: 81
Year : 1994
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Greg Kimble     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I too am 6'3" one of the most important factors will be your shoulder height in relation to the holes for the shoulder harness belts to pass through. In my case I am taller in the torso than most people and have to have the harness holes moved up in order to accomodate my body type. Most seat manufacturers have the seat dimensions on their website so you can find one that best suits your body.

TR6

Region: Southwest
Car #: 500
Year : 2002
Icon 1 posted  Profile for TR6     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I am 6'3", 230lbs and use an Ultrashield 17" seat. I might be able to use a 16" because the 17" leaves a little extra wiggle room, but I was worried the 16" would be too snug and I wasn't in a position to test sit before I bought. I also run the same kind of seat in my passenger side for DE's, instructors, ride alongs, etc. Ultrashield makes a good cost effective seat for miatas and it is relatively easy to install.

You'll probably need to mount the seat directly to the floor (using spacers to get the layback angle right) based on your height. I cut/ground the rear mounting humps out and bolted the seat to the floor with 4" plates on the bottom of the car. Leave the front cross member intact (where the front of the OEM seat tracks mounted). You'll also need to "massage" the transmission tunnel with a small sledge hammer where the right/front corner of the seat contacts the tunnel.

--------------------
Greg H.
2002 red Miata #500
Denton, Texas

Vick Verified Driver
Do they sell spec training wheels?

Region: NYR
Car #: 12
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Vick     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'd suggest finding some local people or a shop and sit in as many seats as possible. I did that when I switched from a Kirkey to a Recaro and I was amazed at the differences between all of them.

There's some good threads on mounting seats, right hand side nets, alum vs FIA, etc.

Also, given your height, look into a steering wheel spacer to help the wheel clear your knees. I'm 6'2" with longish legs and the spacer helps quite a bit. At 165 lbs I used to use a 15" seat and it was perfect.

Good luck, and welcome to the addiction.

--------------------
http://www.volko.com

Jeff Longo Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: NER
Car #: 46
Year : 1993
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jeff Longo     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Vick, You have provided great advice.
My take = Vick +1

--------------------
LTD Racing
Chief Of Inappropriate Comments

ethan666
noob

Region: SoCal
Car #: 42
Icon 1 posted  Profile for ethan666   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'm 6'3" as well... I originally used an Ultrashield bolted to the floor, tilted back. That worked out well. +1 on a smaller diameter steering wheel with a spacer for the knee clearance.

I recently upgraded to a RaceTech RT4009HR, mounted with Racetech mounts, tilted back, with no bottom cushion. It's a really nice seat and I have a decent amount of head clearance...

--------------------
ethan

Muda Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
ComingToAMirrorNearYou

Region: WDC
Car #: #23
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Muda     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Last year I had the Kirkey pulled out and put in a Sparco halo seat. Let the pros do it as when the big one comes I wanted it to stay intact. Had mounts made for the Kirkey on the pass side for instruction. I use a larger, flat bottom steering wheel for knee clearance. No spacer. The larger wheel gives you a bit more leverage and therefore doesn't have to be as close. Remember, the better fiberglass seats weigh lots more than an aluminum seat so start looking for weight savings now.

[Edit] oh, you have a '99.....Nevermind.

--------------------
Muda Motorsports
"We're all here 'cause we're not all there."

Champ

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Champ   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thank you for all of your suggestions!!!!

We will be visiting Rush Motorsports in the near future to get his input too. Your helpful comments and suggestions have brought us a long way up the learning curve.

Paul

--------------------
'99 Miata (1.8l) purchased and dedicated to SM in '09

fishguyaz

Region: AZ/SoPac
Car #: 92
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for fishguyaz     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Muda:
Last year I had the Kirkey pulled out and put in a Sparco halo seat. Let the pros do it as when the big one comes I wanted it to stay intact. Had mounts made for the Kirkey on the pass side for instruction. I use a larger, flat bottom steering wheel for knee clearance. No spacer. The larger wheel gives you a bit more leverage and therefore doesn't have to be as close. Remember, the better fiberglass seats weigh lots more than an aluminum seat so start looking for weight savings now.

[Edit] oh, you have a '99.....Nevermind.

so this means the sparco halo will not fit a '99?
i am asking because i just picked up a nice 99 and am a big fan of using a halo seat.

--------------------
Josh Pitt
AZ Region

Vick Verified Driver
Do they sell spec training wheels?

Region: NYR
Car #: 12
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Vick     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

No, I think muda was referring to looking for weight savings. Making weight in a 1.6 can be done, but a fiberglass seat weighs more than an aluminum one.

Not as hard to make weight in a '99, so the added seat weight isn't as big of a problem.

--------------------
http://www.volko.com

ComingToAMirrorNearYou

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Muda     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Yes, the theoretical attempt at equality made by dropping the 1.6 weight to 2,285 lbs. makes it very difficult for those over 200 lbs. to make weight and equip a car with the highest level of safety equipment. A top cage, fire system, fiberglass halo seat, etc. all weigh significantly more than the cheaper alternatives. Add a Torsen and a cool suit to that and it's damn tough to get even close. I weigh in at 210 lbs. dressed and I'm 35 lbs over with a couple of gallons of gas.

So, this winter I'm going to have a NASCAR bar installed on the pass side so I can gut the door and I'm on a serious weight saving program.

Can you say "Titanium"? [Big Grin]

--------------------
Muda Motorsports

Mike L. Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ

Region: MoHud
Car #: 27
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mike L.     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Muda:
Can you say "Titanium"? [Big Grin]

How about "Jenny Craig" or "Lean Cuisine"? [rolling on floor laughin]
Just kidding!

--------------------
Mike Lo
1990 SM 27

d mathias Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: OVR
Car #: 88
Icon 1 posted  Profile for d mathias     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Unfortunately the weight of the additional NASCAR bars negates the weight saved by gutting the inner door sheet metal. Ain't I just a ray of sunshine.

ComingToAMirrorNearYou

quote:
Originally posted by d mathias:
Unfortunately the weight of the additional NASCAR bars negates the weight saved by gutting the inner door sheet metal. Ain't I just a ray of sunshine.

Really? I would be removing a large X bar and replacing it with the NASCAR bars. Then removing the glass, electric motor, channels, door panel, etc. I thought it was a net 15 pound savings? Chris Windsor does not lie. [yep]

Thanks, Mike. Nice to hear that after stealing and eating all the kids' Halloween candy. ==burp==

--------------------
Muda Motorsports

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: