Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » National Auto Sport Association » NASA Southwest » SM Registration & Insurance Q's

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: SM Registration & Insurance Q's
Champ

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Champ   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I was just wondering and need to confirm that there is no need to continue paying for registration with the DMV or to continue paying for insurance as if it is a street legal car. Right?

Paul

--------------------
'99 Miata (1.8l) purchased and dedicated to SM in '09

Johnny D Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Hot Member

Region: SFR
Car #: 88 SM
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Johnny D     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Some people still carry it to drive it to the track or the muffler shop, etc. but if your going to trailer it, then yes, turn your pink into DMV and say it's an off road vehicle now. My 2 cents.
J~

TR6

Region: Southwest
Car #: 500
Year : 2002
Icon 1 posted  Profile for TR6     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

If you don't drive it on the street at all, I suggest cancelling the street insurance and just getting STP insurance (storage/transportation/paddock). My car has no registration or inspection stickers. But I do have a valid title in my name.

--------------------
Greg H.
2002 red Miata #500
Denton, Texas

Gibscreen Verified Driver Series Champ

Region: NASA-SoCal
Car #: 23
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gibscreen   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Johnny D:
Some people still carry it to drive it to the track or the muffler shop, etc. but if your going to trailer it, then yes, turn your pink into DMV and say it's an off road vehicle now. My 2 cents.
J~

It's not so easy in my experience. I tried to do this and 3 different people at the DMV including a supervisor (plus them calling Sacramento) resulted in dumbfounded expressions. "Off road vehicles are typically ATVs and the like so when they would try to enter the vehicle type the computer would reject it since it knew the VIN was for a regular car. I ended up just registering it as a PNO--costs the same and has basically the same effect. PNO means it can't touch public roads, so trailering is okay. And it's ok to drive it on private roads.

--------------------
Rob Gibson
RJ Racing
2010 NASA Nationals TTE Champion
2008/2009 WERC Champion
2007 NASA SoCal SM Champion
rjracing.net
Weekend-Racer.com

Greg Garneau

Region: SF
Car #: 99
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Greg Garneau     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Yup, non-op it but keep the title (PNO), its cheap and if/when you go to sell it, you have a valid title. You would be surprised how hard it can be to sell a title-less car even if it is a race car. People just don't trust people anymore.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: