Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » National Auto Sport Association » NASA Southwest » 2010 Season Wish List

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: 2010 Season Wish List
Angela Swan Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: NASA SoCal and CalClub
Car #: 87
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Angela Swan     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

As most of you have likely heard, I have taken the opportunity to lead our group in 2010 and I am excited to grow this fantastic class we race in. My goal is to continue to facilitate safe, fair, and fun weekends. All group input is welcomed and encouraged, and any decisions made will be based on the votes of the majority.

A big thank you is owed to John Mueller, whose enthusiasm and expertise has guided us through many great weekends and helped build a strong series catered to the driver. Racing with NASA affords us a certain level of autonomy and I will continue the practice of making a number of our own decisions. Of course, such options will continue to be contingent on our bringing enough cars (usually 20) to give NASA a viable reason to give us our own run group.

As a group, we can continue building on meaningful tech inspections. NASA will continue to monitor safety compliance (bring those socks!), but we can incorporate class-specific tech. So, what, if anything, would you like to see more/less of?

There seems to be a lot of enthusiasm for continuing to mix race formats up. Sunday qualifying races, longer (ie 40-50 minute) sprint races, pea-pick qualifying - what do we want to see? I'll be looking into the viability of reintroducing random prize drawings. Any interest in moving the SM/SSM awards ceremony to Saturday night?

So SMers, post-race champagne? Pre-race champagne? What's next? This is your class and your input will serve to create weekends that are above all, fun! Should any of you like to contact me directly, please feel free to PM me or email me at SMracer87@yahoo.com. I look forward to hearing everyone's thoughts and ideas, and sparking some great discussion.

Happy Holidays! [Smile]

--------------------
Angela Swan

Rob Burgoon Verified Driver

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Rob Burgoon     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Race #26 CW.

No random qualifying, I'll just get hit again.

TT style qual sessions (3 groups, space the cars out, each group gets 2 hot laps, no drafting, PA announcing times)

Whistler testing for podium in tech (don't think anyone is being bad, just throwin it out there)

1 Random head removal from the top 10 in points somewhere around midseason, at ACS or WSIR.

ECU roulette anyone?

--------------------
It really makes my week when nobody crashes into me.

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Rob Burgoon     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Or maybe instead of the head pull, sometime this season send the top three and three from midpack with engines still running to the dyno instead of the scales and make the results public. That might be healthy for the class whichever way it comes out.

--------------------

SWDouglass Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: NASA So Cal. & CalClub
Car #: 27
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for SWDouglass     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Angela,
Congratulations and thank you for taking on this great group. We have the best racers and the closest knit group of racers in So. Cal.

A couple of topics for discussion:

-Getting racers to come out / growing the class

-Compliance

-Keeping damage down or in check.

Getting the racers to come out/growing the class

For me half of the fun of racing is the comraderie that occurs in the paddock, during the race and after the race. Establishing a large paddock so everyone can pit together will help to make the other racers feel welcome. It will help establish friendships, it will make it easier to pass information to the group, it will make it easier to assist each other to keep our cars on the track and inadvertantly it will help in complience. This paddock could be further supported by sponcered bbqs, beer, videos, maintanence demonstrations, and the like.

Complience
Establishing a set of random complience checks, part swaps, weight checks, and hp dyno runs. This will help to keep people honest. Also car swaps. The greatest realization of this for me was when I had Don drive my old car and he immediately came within a few tenths of his best lap times. For as much as I the to admit it, it is the nut behind the wheel and not some secret chip. Demonstration laps where the top drivers drive other's cars to show you what your car can do.

Keeping damage in check.

We have a class that consists of very equal cars which means very close door to door racing that from time to time will result in contact. Last year we totaled 1 car and came very close totaling at least 3 others. And I would estimate another 10 cars had body damage significant enough for repair and another 5 had damage that was visable. And I'm not speaking of bumper scratches from bump drafting. 19 cars had damage. And if we usually have at least 20 cars at each event. That means just about everyone had damage. Damage is expensive and the expense will eventually prevent people from coming out. I have hit people and I've been hit by people, so I'm not being hypocritical. Shit happens. But I believe we need to discuss some sort of penalty or some sort of a way to help curb body damage. (Ill probably be the first one to receive a penalty). I don't have an answer to how we police it but I know for certain that if we curb damage we will have more cars racing every month and through the entire season.

These are the 3 things in my opinion will help the class. Its great racing with all of you and look forward to next season.
Sean Douglass

--------------------
31st in the nation. If I could keep the car on the track and put on the oil cap I could be in the top 20.

quote:
Originally posted by SWDouglass:

For me half of the fun of racing is the comraderie that occurs in the paddock, during the race and after the race. Establishing a large paddock so everyone can pit together will help to make the other racers feel welcome. It will help establish friendships, it will make it easier to pass information to the group, it will make it easier to assist each other to keep our cars on the track and inadvertantly it will help in complience. This paddock could be further supported by sponcered bbqs, beer, videos, maintanence demonstrations, and the like.

Throw in a porta potty or locate it near the bathrooms and you'll have my support for that.

--------------------

Jonathan Christian Verified Driver

Region: south pacific
Car #: 31
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jonathan Christian   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

- sunday morning trophy dash, draw 5 cars at random and let them have a mini 10 or 15 min. race instead of a sunday practice. This gives others an opportunity to win something if their not always at the front, and gives other sm drivers a chance to watch one another race. (this would only work if we had our own run group)

- Obviously more tech, and in light of Jim Daniels services to flash ecus, i think ecu swapping should be done more frequently as well as whistling.

- As far as body contact that causes some damage to another car(i say this cause we all tap mirrors from time to time without a fuss), i think a grid penalty should be put into affect for contact on saturday. hit somebody and lose 5 places from where you qualify sunday.

Im sure i will have more ideas later but those are some ideas to toy around with.

Trophy dash sounds awesome, but how about this, instead of 5 random cars, grab 5 CONSECUTIVE cars from the finish order Saturday and invert them. That should keep them from stringing out as badly and getting boring.

Hell, make it a 3 lapper, and you could fit two trophy dashes in.

--------------------

One more item, stricter enforcement of pace before green flag.

I swear, if I am at full throttle one more time before the green comes out (watching the cars ahead drive away) I am going to start slinging paper, no matter what names I get called. [butthead]

--------------------

Qik Nip Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Loose Member '09 & '10 Great Lakes Regional Points Champion

Region: Cincinnati Great Lakes
Car #: 60
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Qik Nip     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Rob Burgoon:

I swear, if I am at full throttle one more time before the green comes out (watching the cars ahead drive away) I am going to start slinging paper, no matter what names I get called. [butthead]

Rob:
I have no dog in the (SW NASA) fight, but the "accordian" start phenomona is pretty unavoidable. The only solution is to qualify closer to the front.
Rick

--------------------
Fortune Cookie Racing SM 60
Directions for use: Race, Rumple, Repair ... Repeat!

quote:
Originally posted by Qik Nip:
quote:

Rob:
I have no dog in the (SW NASA) fight, but the "accordian" start phenomona is pretty unavoidable. The only solution is to qualify closer to the front.
Rick

This was most recently observed from row 2. No accordion here.

--------------------

Qik Nip Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Loose Member '09 & '10 Great Lakes Regional Points Champion

Region: Cincinnati Great Lakes
Car #: 60
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Qik Nip     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Rob:
Mea'cupa. I fully agree with your angst then.
Rick

--------------------
Fortune Cookie Racing SM 60
Directions for use: Race, Rumple, Repair ... Repeat!

CLee

Region: Southern California
Car #: 33
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for CLee   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

* straight up qualifying (skip the qualifying race)
* our own run group
* avoid the bus stop @ Buttonwillow
* have drinking water available @ impound
* better trophies
* entry for just one day

Drago Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: mid south
Car #: 2
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Championship at Mid Ohio [duck]

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com
2006-2007 Mid-West Division
07,09 June Sprints Champion

EAST STREET RACING

taylorf Verified Driver

Region: Houston
Car #: 51
Year : 1994
Icon 1 posted  Profile for taylorf     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Drago:
Championship at Mid Ohio [duck]

With extra rain! [Razz]

--------------------
Taylor Ferranti

seege Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: NASA So Cal
Year : Thinking on that.... ok done 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for seege     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Practice, qualify, race format is the best for my money. Oh, and since this is a wish list...
let's have some races at a new So Cal venue like this one.

http://www.chuckwallavalleyraceway.com

Check out their FB page with construction videos.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/pages/Desert-C...ceway/178255823554?ref=nf

--------------------
-CJ Johnson

jeremybarnes

Region: San Diego
Car #: 14
Icon 1 posted  Profile for jeremybarnes     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

My votes:

* Continue the qualifying race -- we come to race, not just to drive fast. Spec Miatas are WAY more fun when raced, rather than qualified.

* Heavy penalties for body contact (NASA does a great job on it, but we can be even nastier if we want to be).

* More north/south challenge races -- let's go to Thunderhill at some point in the future to race the NorCal guys. They came to us this year, let's return the favor.

* Keep it fun: do like World Challenge does and do a coin-toss to invert the front five on the grid or keep it as qualified. Try inverted grids. Pull grid positions from a hat. Fact is that wherever you start, 99% of the time you'll finish in the same position you usually do -- the quick guys will always get to the front.

* Like the trophy dash idea, that fits the idea of keeping it fun. Let's find a way to let some of the newbies and the guys who don't normally run up-front to see the front of the grid.

* How about an all-SM test day at BW on a non-race weekend, giving us a chance to do some car-swapping, data-swapping, story-swapping, etc. Big BBQ on Saturday night, etc.

* Heavier tech. Cheating sucks. I'm pretty sure we're all playing straight and fair, but I'm for doing whatever we can to prove it.

Thanks for taking this on, Angela, and good luck herding this group of cats into one, relatively orderly, pack!

Jeremy.

Eric Richter Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: So Cal
Car #: #29
Year : 1993
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Eric Richter     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

No Bus stop
Grid penalty for contact
Qual.race on Sun.

--------------------
2009 SoCal SCCA SM Champion
"Only boring people get bored"

ethan666
noob

Region: SoCal
Car #: 42
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for ethan666   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Trophy Dashes
-- very short 3-5 lap trophy dash races sound super fun! great idea.

Longer races
-- more bang for the buck would be great. how about some 50 minute races.

Competition cautions
-- for select races, how about a full-course competition caution half way through to make things more interesting and introduce new types of race strategy.

"Official" SM paddock
-- I agree with Sean, it would be great to create an "official" SM paddock area for each event. Not only will it make the weekend more social, it's also like a giant Spec Miata billboard for potential new racers. We should try to be as inclusive as possible.

--------------------
ethan

quote:
Originally posted by ethan666:

Longer races

Competition cautions
-- for select races, how about a full-course competition caution half way through to make things more interesting and introduce new types of race strategy.

The competition caution and longer main aren't terrible ideas. It might help a little with reducing contact since there is less urgency.

--------------------

Tyler Dahl Verified Driver Series Champ

Region: Utah
Car #: 70
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Tyler Dahl     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Longest haul discount/reward [Big Grin]

--------------------
Tyler Dahl
Race Engineering
Miatacage.com
Carbotech

Sean Allen Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: SFR
Car #: 54!
Year : 90'
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Sean Allen   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

You guys must be nascar fans

<---- former circle track racer

--------------------

seege Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: NASA So Cal
Year : Thinking on that.... ok done 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for seege     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ethan666:

Longer races

Competition cautions

The competition caution and longer main aren't terrible ideas. It might help a little with reducing contact since there is less urgency.
No offense intended but the competition yellow is a terrible idea, and the main reason I give Nascar very little credibility sportsmanship-wise. It's all about the show. Club racing is about the racing... not the show.

--------------------
-CJ Johnson

CLee

Region: Southern California
Car #: 33
Icon 1 posted  Profile for CLee   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Since we are getting closer to Xmas, I'll add another to my wish list:

* resurrect the SM2 class where the 99+ cars can run unrestricted without restrictor plate, and while I am at it, open intake and headers and drop the weight to 2325.

quote:
Originally posted by CLee:
Since we are getting closer to Xmas, I'll add another to my wish list:

* resurrect the SM2 class where the 99+ cars can run unrestricted without restrictor plate, and while I am at it, open intake and headers and drop the weight to 2325.

Very interesting. Split start? Lobby to run in separate race groups so you get to race twice a day?

Oh headers too? Ok, maybe not twice in a day [Wink]

--------------------

Jeremy Pike

Region: SFR
Car #: 89
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jeremy Pike     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Sure I read the rules, but I looked up the start procedures again and found it news to me.

Once the pace car leaves the track,
the lead car will be responsible for pacing the field slowly, and at a steady pace, until the
green flag is shown. [Note: Pace means “steady speed.” Acceleration (or deceleration)
after the pace car leaves the track, but before the green flag is displayed, is illegal.]

Yellow flag mid race, pace car out, change course direction, green flag. It's happened at T-Hill.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: