Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » SMTV » We all like a good Crash Vid, well heres 2 from the same day!

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: We all like a good Crash Vid, well heres 2 from the same day!
MaxxUK

Icon 1 posted  Profile for MaxxUK   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Hi Guys,

I do the odd MX5/Miata race in the UK when a deal is offered and such a deal was offered this last weekend to do a triple header at Croft, in North Yorkshire, England, a great circuit and one of my favs.

Unfortunately, 2 of the races ended in crashes, and I know we all like to see a good crash vid, as long as no one was hurt and they weren't.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wcgsviKxHc (Race 1)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0B5dqBkoMw (Race 3)

I'm also just uploading highlights from race 2 which I managed to finish (although had a REALLY close shave), some good close racing. I'll post up when thats available.

Maxx

MaxxUK

Icon 1 posted  Profile for MaxxUK   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Ooh, I forgot to add, another reason for posting as that a couple of guys on here had asked about the video system in my previous videos, the VIDEO4 system from Race Technology.

It's a week or so away from release here in the UK so i'd expect you guys to have access to them also quite soon.

Made a bit of a hash of the g-force readouts but thats just my lack of knowledge on how to set them up properly.

Maxx

Dennis Brown Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Indy
Car #: 55
Year : 94
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dennis Brown     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

It is good to see that not being able to make it through turn one is an international phenomenon.

I am beginning to see spinning miata's in my sleep!!!

Dennis

Eric Richter Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: So Cal
Car #: #29
Year : 1993
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Eric Richter     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

In the second video, if the guy would of used the "two feet in if you spin" rule, you might of just made it by.

--------------------
2009 SoCal SCCA SM Champion
"Only boring people get bored"

oem steve

Region: South East
Car #: #92
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for oem steve     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Might could have slipped through had the steering wheel been on the left side of the car [Big Grin]

--------------------
email: standrewsexpress@bellsouth.net
visit us at http://www.standrewsexpress.com

Under powered and under driven

Gibscreen Verified Driver Series Champ

Region: NASA-SoCal
Car #: 23
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gibscreen   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

First video was weird. It cut away before the actual hit.

On the second video, was the spinning car rolling backward? If so, it's also good to see that people not getting on the brakes when they spin is an international problem.

--------------------
Rob Gibson
RJ Racing
2010 NASA Nationals TTE Champion
2008/2009 WERC Champion
2007 NASA SoCal SM Champion
rjracing.net
Weekend-Racer.com

MaxxUK

Guys,

Just a quick response. Yes, in Video 1 the impact knocked the power cable lose and so I didn't get the actual moment of impact, had to use a bit of creative [none] flair there [Smile]

I remember sticking the power cable down with tape thinking "if it happens again at least I'll get the video", must have tempted fate.

Yep, if he'd clutched and braked he and I would still be in one piece. He was lucky I didn't slow more or would have t-boned him (and as you guys keep pointing out, he's sat on the wrong side of the car) [Smile]

Just uploaded video from race 2, just to show that I can complete a race without crashing ... although I was VERY CLOSE to a yellow car coming back onto the circuit at one point.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCWLaaAX908

Maxx

planet-miata.com

Region: NEPA
Car #: #00
Year : 20th century
Icon 1 posted  Profile for planet-miata.com   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

in both videos the drivers needed to keep both feet in.

in the 1st video, the yellow car shot immediately to the right after spinning counter clockwise numerous times.

at least everyone's ok. maybe another foot (or meter for that matter) and you might have made it through.

--------------------
#1 Supplier of New and Used Miata parts
http://WWW.PLANET-MIATA.COM

Marc Cefalo

#00 1996 ITA
#00 ???? SM

Motor City Hamilton

Region: Great Lakes/Detroit
Car #: 51
Year : 1994 Miata
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Motor City Hamilton     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Im my best Don Cherry accent from Hockey Night in Canada:

"Now any of you kids watching at home, don't do what this guy did. Wear your visor. Catch one puck in the face and you may not be able to play hockey for the rest of your life."

All three races you had your visor up in an open convertible.

Muda Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
ComingToAMirrorNearYou

Region: WDC
Car #: #23
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Muda     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Do you have any where you crash into the double stacked steel barrels at the apex of the chicane? [thumbsup]

--------------------
Muda Motorsports
"We're all here 'cause we're not all there."

MaxxUK

quote:
Originally posted by Motor City Hamilton:
All three races you had your visor up in an open convertible.

I hear you Motor, and yes, I really should know better. With the quarterlights you are reasonably well protected against anything being thrown up from the car in front (gravel/rubber etc.) but you are definitely more expose in an accident.

Strangely in the UK we do not have to wear arm ties, to stop your right (in our case) arms being thrown out of the cabin. This is common in Europe and I'm fairly sure i've seen this in the US, although not sure if it is mandatory there.

Maxx

Sean Yepez Verified Driver
Team Keeblerspeed

Region: SF
Car #: 94
Year : 94
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Sean Yepez     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

That yellow car in the second video has some serious power. [Big Grin]

You all run 1.6's, right?

--------------------
2008 San Francisco Region SMT Champion

wheel Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: kc
Car #: 20
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for wheel     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Arm restraints are required in any open car in SCCA, probably NASA, as well.

Motor City Hamilton

Region: Great Lakes/Detroit
Car #: 51
Year : 1994 Miata
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Motor City Hamilton     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Just giving you a little bit of a hard time. Didn't want to come across as preachy.

I am amazed at how many rocks fly into my Miata during a race. Run side by side through a turn just after someone has had an off and scattered debris on the track. Somehow all that stuff seems to fly right through my car. I've had stones hit my visor before and we run with the hard top installed and side window nets.

MaxxUK

quote:
Originally posted by Sean Yepez:
That yellow car in the second video has some serious power. [Big Grin]

You all run 1.6's, right?

Sean,

Yes, all 1.6. Various things are allowed that not all drivers do. The guys at the front are all skimming heads and such but this obviously can cause reliability issues so the rent-a-drives generally don't. In saying that, I think the one I had has some skimming and in fairness was a pretty strong car.

Maxx

MaxxUK

quote:
Originally posted by wheel:
Arm restraints are required in any open car in SCCA, probably NASA, as well.

Yes, thats the case in Europe but not in the UK oddly enough. I'm actually at Zandvoort (Holland) at the moment and have been racing in the Lotus Cup Europe (2nd race tomorrow) in a closed Elise S1 and we had to wear them.

Maxx

MaxxUK

quote:
Originally posted by Motor City Hamilton:
Just giving you a little bit of a hard time. Didn't want to come across as preachy.

No, thats OK, you didn't. I do find it strange that in the UK safety is fairly laxed. We don't even have to wear gloves for most races in the UK, you can run without a net, without an arm strap and with your window about 1/3 wound down.

quote:

I am amazed at how many rocks fly into my Miata during a race. Run side by side through a turn just after someone has had an off and scattered debris on the track. Somehow all that stuff seems to fly right through my car. I've had stones hit my visor before and we run with the hard top installed and side window nets.

Jeez, never had anything come into the cabin but it does make you think, whatever made the mark on your visor would probably make a bigger one on my face.

Maxx

wheel Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: kc
Car #: 20
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for wheel     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I had a rock come in the driver's door window, right past my eye and blow out the rear window of my BMW. I saw a flash as it flew past. Of course, I wasn't wearing any eye protection at the time, but I do now.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: