Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » SMTV » HD BulletCam with solid state recording- The Holy Grail?

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: HD BulletCam with solid state recording- The Holy Grail?
DerekFSU Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Icon 1 posted  Profile for DerekFSU     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

http://www.winecountrymotorsports.com/product_info.php?products_id=774

Just found this, don't know how long it's been out, have no idea how the video looks, but the specs are impressive.

HD recording (720p)
8 hours recording time
Self contained bullet cam
Uses lasers (no sharks) to line up since there isn't a screen. This is truly worth checking out.

Also, the new Canon S10 is pretty sweet. 32gb solid state internal memory plus 32gb removable solid state memory gives you 24 hours of HD recording at 1920 x 1080. Problem I see is accessories. You have to use an external mic to cut out wind noise ($200+), only a single battery charger that I can find as opposed to a double, biggest battery seems to only record 4 hours instead of Sony's 6, and wide angle lens ($300) doesn't seem to have a cheap counterpart like Sony's for $50.
http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=M...egoryid=177&modelid=17993

Muda Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
ComingToAMirrorNearYou

Region: WDC
Car #: #23
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Muda     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Interesting. Not really a bullet cam but a 720p camera with no screen. No mention anywhere on the site that it has a standard screw mount. No mention of its capability of being remote powered.
Demo quality does not appear to be equivalent to my Aiptek A-HD+ shot at 1080p and rendered at 1280x720 25fps for Vimeo use. Hardly the holy grail but another step in the right direction. Probably great for a helmet cam. For the time being I'll stick with my $125 Aiptek for motorsports use.

--------------------
Muda Motorsports
"We're all here 'cause we're not all there."

Icon 1 posted  Profile for DerekFSU     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Pretty darn close to a bullet cam IMO. If it can't beat the Aiptek quality, then you're DEFINITELY right about not being the holy grail!

This seems even closer to the holy grail- though pricey!

http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/cat-broadcastcameras/cat-pov/product-HXRMC1%2FACC/

andrew_anderson
National Member

Region: SC region and buccaneer
Icon 1 posted  Profile for andrew_anderson     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

scca does not allow helmet cams

--------------------
Dish NetworkNew Dish Network customers receive a $40 rebate if you are an SCCA member!
Race Engineering. Championship winning engines.
Carbotech Brakes
Panic Motorsports
Low Country Communications
2343 Main HWY
Bamberg, SC 29003

Teamfour Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: WDCR
Car #: 04
Year : 1993
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Teamfour   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

At the risk of being nitpicky - SCCA does not allow cameras attached to helmets. I use a camera designated as a helmet cam, but it is attached to the roll bar. Just saying...

--------------------
Lee Tilton
1993 Meowta #04
Brimtek Motorsports/ Team Four Racing
Team Four Racing

Andrew, I don't know anyone who'd want to watch it if attached to a helmet. This is about using it on a secured mount.

Zack Steinkamp Verified Driver

Region: SFR
Car #: 47
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Zack Steinkamp   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by DerekFSU:
This seems even closer to the holy grail- though pricey!

http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/cat-broadcastcameras/cat-pov/product-HXRMC1%2FACC/

HOT!!!!!!!!!

--------------------
http://www.dipity.com/

Wow, another good find. 64gb of internal flash memory = 24 hours of HD recording + 32bg memory card (out in September) = 36 hours of HD video.
http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet...uctId=8198552921665891061

mat pombo Verified Driver

Region: Atlanta
Car #: 01
Year : '90 & '99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for mat pombo   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I recently bought an aiptek A-HD+ and mounted it this past weekend @ Savannah. I have it set to 1080 at a 16:9 aspect ratio, but when viewing the video it is a very narrow window. Anyone know how to make a wider panoramic recording view or a way to get a broader view with it? Thanks.

Jfornachon Verified Driver

Region: socal
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jfornachon     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by mat pombo:
I recently bought an aiptek A-HD+ and mounted it this past weekend @ Savannah. I have it set to 1080 at a 16:9 aspect ratio, but when viewing the video it is a very narrow window. Anyone know how to make a wider panoramic recording view or a way to get a broader view with it? Thanks.

What was the setting on the rt side of the camera? Did you have it on the picture with the flower or was it on the one with the mountains and the person? That could be the solution.

Have ag reat day,
Jared

Craig Heyl

Car #: 00
Year : 94
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Craig Heyl     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Mat - the above mentioned recommendation on the macro setting is a good place to start. In macro setting the the view is narrow and looks bad.

Other than that, there's a handful of playback questions to consider. If you're looking at the Aiptek's .mov file playback on your computer, be sure your viewer setting is playing back the native file type correctly. In other,words - the Quicktime Player is set to playback the 1080 file correctly. Check your computer settings and QT player.

The Aiptek has a fairly narrow view lens on its own. It's not a wide-angle lens. I use the Aiptek as a recorder and feed it with a Sony lipstick camera and external mic. Cheap PVR option.

If you want a few tricks on disabling the auto-off function so you can close the LCD panel without turning off the camera, shoot me a PM. Saves battery power.

--------------------
Craig Heyl
Decatur Speed Shop
404-375-6025
Atlanta Region SCCA
NASA - SE
craigheyl@mac.com

wheel Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: kc
Car #: 20
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for wheel     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Craig,
Don't wait for a PM. Post it. I would like to know how to disable the auto-off deal.
wheel

John Mueller Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Okay, not the slowest anymore...

Region: SoCal
Car #: 13
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for John Mueller   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by wheel:
Craig,
Don't wait for a PM. Post it. I would like to know how to diable ti auto-off deal.
wheel

+1 please !!!

--------------------
Thanks,
John Mueller
NASA SM National Director
http://www.Weekend-Racer.com
#13 "Tiger Miata" - 2009 SoCal SSM Champion

Steven Holloway Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Blue Eyes, Aquarius, hates being squeezed to the grass in SowDiv!

Region: Lonestar
Car #: 97
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Steven Holloway     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I just rotate the screen so it points out instead of in when you close the door, but I'm curious what Craig is doing.

--------------------
If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's got electrical problems.

mat pombo Verified Driver

Car #: 01
Year : '90 & '99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for mat pombo   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Jfornachon:
[/qb]

What was the setting on the rt side of the camera? Did you have it on the picture with the flower or was it on the one with the mountains and the person? That could be the solution.

Have ag reat day,
Jared [/QB][/QUOTE]

What should it be set on? I honestly don't know what it was set on and it is still in the car. I was looking at it on the camera screen and noticed how narrow it was. I will check it this weekend at the shop. Thanks for all the input guys.

mat

Craig Heyl

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Craig Heyl     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Here's how to hack your Aiptek camera to disable the auto-off function.

To disable: (takes 5 minutes)
There's a magnet inside the LCD panel that triggers a switch that turns the camera off when you close the door. To disable this function, remove the magnet.

To remove the magnet you'll need a razor blade and a tiny screw driver.

Use a razor blade to peel back the plastic play/stop/on-off button cover on the LCD panel. Do it carefully and it will go back in place perfectly later. Don't bend it.

Under the plastic button cover are a couple screws you'll need to remove which will allow you to open the panel. The magnet is right there. It looks like a battery. You don't have to take the whole LCD panel apart to get to it. Pry carefully to get under the plastic once the screws are out.

Tweezers or needle nose will pull the magnet right out.

Now you just re-stick the button cover with the screws in place and you're done.

The camera will now turn on and off with the on-off button and not when you close the LCD panel.

Done.....

--------------------
Craig Heyl
Decatur Speed Shop
404-375-6025
Atlanta Region SCCA
NASA - SE
craigheyl@mac.com

ahamos

Region: ODR
Car #: 17
Year : 1994
Icon 1 posted  Profile for ahamos   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Set it on mountains, but that's probably not the issue. Some playback apps force you to 4:3 (particularly Windows Media player). View the files in QuickTime, and they should stay 16:9. FWIW, I think the A-HD+ looks like crap in 1080 mode, since it's 30fps. I set mine in 720p and get better motion and longer recording time.

But I would L*O*V*E to know how to get more battery life. Give up the goods!

Zack Steinkamp Verified Driver

Region: SFR
Car #: 47
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Zack Steinkamp   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
But I would L*O*V*E to know how to get more battery life. Give up the goods! [/QB]
I just got an AC inverter that plugs into a cigarette lighter, then drive the camera off its wall wart power supply.

--------------------
http://www.dipity.com/

ComingToAMirrorNearYou

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Muda     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Mat -

That switch should be in the 'UP' position.
Some tape it that way as it is easily moved in handling the camera and will screw up your focus.

The Aiptek HD+ creates a .mov file but really shoots in h.264 in an .mp4 format, not a true Quicktime format as the .mov suffix designates. If you leave the .mov name at the end of the file your computer may load the Apple Quicktime player unless you have overridden this setting. However, it should play the file just fine. You can change the suffix to .mp4 and allow a player capable of properly handling .mp4 playback to load and play the file. My guess is that this is your problem.
I would recommend VLC Media Player as it will playback almost any format properly. You can get it for free here: http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

The other thing to check is what resolution you have the Aiptek set up to record with. You get to this through the menu. I usually use 1080p, 30fps. This is the highest available resolution. If your using a laptop running on battery power, in order to get smooth playback with 1080p, you may have to adjust your power settings for highest performance as the default power settings usually reduce the ECU speed to save battery power.

Hope this helps!

--------------------
Muda Motorsports

ComingToAMirrorNearYou

quote:
Originally posted by ahamos:
But I would L*O*V*E to know how to get more battery life. Give up the goods!

Wire the Aiptek directly to the car's battery with a switch and don't worry about the battery any more.

Here's how I hard wired the Aiptek:

http://forum.specmiata.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?/topic/38/97.html

The other ways are to use an inverter with the 110 power cord, buy a bare mini USB plug and wire it into a 12v->5v power supply, or buy a 110v charger, cut the wire and wire it into a 12v->5v power supply. This is because Aiptek chose to use a non-standard pin in the USB plug as part of its power circuit, thus no aftermarket 12v USB chargers will work out of the box.

--------------------
Muda Motorsports

Craig Heyl

I like the direct hardwire idea. Good one. Have to try that mod next.

Too bad the camera only charges with the cigarette adaptor and wont run, otherwise that would be an easy power source to hook up. (at least mine won't run with the car charger - only charges)

--------------------
Craig Heyl
Decatur Speed Shop
404-375-6025
Atlanta Region SCCA
NASA - SE
craigheyl@mac.com

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: