next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » SMTV » hands on the wheel

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: hands on the wheel
caesss Verified Driver

Region: Southwest
Car #: 49
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for caesss   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'm not sure who this guys is but watch the hands then watch what happens at 3:30

http://www.yozoy.com/video/last-laps-2009-runoffs-ra-sm

--------------------
Caesar Vielmas
YozoY.com | blu27.com

Eric Richter Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: So Cal
Car #: #29
Year : 1993
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Eric Richter     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

That is a pretty hard hit, bummer. Very interesting hand placement.

--------------------
2009 SoCal SCCA SM Champion
"Only boring people get bored"

Gibscreen Verified Driver Series Champ

Region: NASA-SoCal
Car #: 23
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gibscreen   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Classic overcorrection. It wasn't helped by the hand placement. And every time he one-handed the wheel through a turn it scared the hell out of me.

--------------------
Rob Gibson
RJ Racing
2010 NASA Nationals TTE Champion
2008/2009 WERC Champion
2007 NASA SoCal SM Champion
rjracing.net
Weekend-Racer.com

Pat Newton Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Enduro addict

Region: Northwest, Oregon
Car #: 79
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Pat Newton   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

From videos I've seen this is NOT uncommon, so I'm not singling out the person in this video, but it always amazes me how many people race down a straight with one hand on the wheel and the other on the shifter, as if they're cruising a burger joint on Friday night.

I don't even do that on the street. Hands on wheel, right hand lets go to shift, shift complete, hands back on the wheel until the next shift. It's about maximum control at all times.

--------------------
Crew Chief, 3D Racing #64, aka Team Scrappy 2.0
3rd place E2, 2009 25 Hours of Thunderhill

Crew Chief, EGR/Miller Motorsports #64, aka Team Scrappy
E2 Champions, 2008 25 Hours of Thunderhill

Steve D. Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Once you get past the gag reflex, the jelly ain't bad!

Region: Atlanta
Car #: 30
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Steve D.     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Wow. No HANS, no side net. That was a big hit with no help for his neck! Hope he is OK.

He needs longer arms or a better seat position so he doesn't have to shuffle steer. Even loose belts don't seem to help him.

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Brings to mind an interesting tidbit I picked up in Bentley's 1st book to help prevent the need to shuffle the hands...

Prior to entering a turn where you have to turn the wheel to a point where you can't keep your hands at 9-3, shift your hand position before the turn (11-5 for example) so you don't have to take either one off the wheel mid turn. Then of course immediately move them back to the right place after the turn and leave them there unless you're shifting.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Drago Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: mid south
Car #: 2
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I think that is Kyle Watkins, He is a pretty big boy, so shuffle steering may be a lot easier?

I have the same rotten habit of hooking my thumbs on top the spoke. My right thumb is still sore from 07 Runoffs crash and has never truly healed IMO. Very bad habit for sure.
Jim

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com
2006-2007 Mid-West Division
07,09 June Sprints Champion

EAST STREET RACING

dtfastbear Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
faster than the average bear...

Region: SFR / NorCal
Car #: 72
Year : 93
Icon 1 posted  Profile for dtfastbear   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Looks like he might be wearing arm restraints. At least that what it looks like to me - the blue "collar" around his right arm above his elbow? Is he used to driving open wheel cars?

Cheers,

Dean

--------------------
NASA Nor Cal SM series Director
www.molaps.com

Winner - Ford Racing Mustang Challenge Driver Shootout

Evil Genius Racing / Race Engineering / Stewart Development

dsrgr Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Las Vegas
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for dsrgr     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I can't speak for other schools but at the Spring Mountain Vette/Lotus schools we teach hands on the wheel except when shifting and then immediately back to the 3-9. I often encountered students that shuffled the wheel. I made them put their hands at 3-9 and leave them there for a complete lap. Even in our tightest 180s and buttonhook, they didn't have to move their hands. I haven't found a race course yet where I had to move them from 3-9. Only rarely in an autocross do I have to move them.

Apex to Apex

Region: NASA Mid-West
Car #: 077
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Apex to Apex     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I have even heard of debates about thumbs wrapped around the wheel, or thumbs sticking up.

quote:
Originally posted by dsrgr:
I can't speak for other schools but at the Spring Mountain Vette/Lotus schools we teach hands on the wheel except when shifting and then immediately back to the 3-9. I often encountered students that shuffled the wheel. I made them put their hands at 3-9 and leave them there for a complete lap. Even in our tightest 180s and buttonhook, they didn't have to move their hands. I haven't found a race course yet where I had to move them from 3-9. Only rarely in an autocross do I have to move them.

Yea, Dave Roberts slapped my hand several times there. I still remember that. Even driving through the paddock, my hand NEVER goes below the 3 and 9 position. Even drving my truck through my supermarket parking lot. My hands NEVER go palms up.

--------------------
"Driving is a serious business" - John Milner, 'American Graffiti'

Kent Carter Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Future Never Has Been

Region: Houston
Car #: 91
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kent Carter   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by dtfastbear:
Looks like he might be wearing arm restraints. At least that what it looks like to me - the blue "collar" around his right arm above his elbow? Is he used to driving open wheel cars?

Cheers,

Dean

Yep... good catch.

--------------------
Do I turn my 99 Hard S into a killerfast SM or seek a donor?

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by dsrgr:

Maybe it's the numerous shoulder injuries I've had or that over the years or that I've developed chesticles which interfere with my arm movement but I do find I sometimes have to move my hands for a tight turn or two. Not much but my lower hand doesn't like to go to 6 o-clock.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

MegaModerator

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Kent Carter:
quote:
Originally posted by dtfastbear:

Cheers,

Dean

Yep... good catch.
Yup, Kyle for sure, he ran SRF right after our race.
Jim

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com

EAST STREET RACING

B Wilson Verified Driver Series Champ
Gold Member

Region: Oregon
Car #: 68
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for B Wilson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

How ya supposed to ask for a bump [help] , give thanks for a bump [thumbsup] or flip people off [butthead] if you have both hands on the wheel???

-b

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ
2010 Monte Shelton Driver of the Year
2010 25 Hours of Thunderhill E3 and Under 2 liter Overall Champion
Oregon Region SM Class Advisor

Scott Malbon Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Blue Ridge Region (103), SEDiv
Car #: 52
Year : 94
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Scott Malbon     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

It also seemed that his wheel was not horizontal on the straights, maybe + 15 deg. Wondering if this was intentional for a one-handed driving style.

Scott

oem steve

Region: South East
Car #: #92
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for oem steve     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

got to have that hand free to use the cruise control or change the C/D player.

--------------------
email: standrewsexpress@bellsouth.net
visit us at http://www.standrewsexpress.com

Under powered and under driven

Randy Thieme

Region: Oregon
Car #: 51
Year : 1993
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Randy Thieme     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

That's it! I'm getting a necking nob for my car!

wheel Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: kc
Car #: 20
Icon 1 posted  Profile for wheel     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

He may not have the most conventional style, but Kyle has been on the pole at the Runoffs in a 42 car ASedan field, at MidO, so he must be doing something right.

Greg Bush Verified Driver
Thread Killer

Region: NW/OR
Car #: 04
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Greg Bush     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

It looked like he needed the wheel 2 inches or more closer. Mine was too far away when I built the car and over the years I've moved it 4+ inches closer. It looked like he was extending his reach with his hand to get some angle in his elbow, then hooking his hand in to control the wheel. BTDT.

Also, some shoulder conditions can be aggravated by racing, and temporarily lowering your arm to the shifter can relieve them. Its better to be one handed on the straights than have numb hands in the corners....

I do thumbs out when I remember. I guess its a throwback to my offroad days when hitting a rut can turn the steering wheel into a blur and your thumbs into swollen useless digits.

Good hand and arm strength and the right glove/wheel/position combo are essential IMHO.

Eric Barbaric Verified Driver

Region: Kansas City
Car #: 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Eric Barbaric   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Prior to impact, he brings up his right hand to his helmet. Probably thinking "I'm about to find out what the right side net is for."

I had a big impact in my last race weekend. I made the rookie mistake of keeping my hands on the wheel despite inevitable/unavoidable impact. The impact threw my hand straight up into the rollbar. One my knuckles took quite a shot.

I'm thinking of padding that diagonal overhead bar now.

MegaModerator

quote:
Originally posted by wheel:
He may not have the most conventional style, but Kyle has been on the pole at the Runoffs in a 42 car ASedan field, at MidO, so he must be doing something right.

+1 [thumbsup]

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com

EAST STREET RACING

Ramjet 8 Verified Driver

Region: MWD
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Ramjet 8     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I was talking to a Highway Patrol driving instructor the other day and he said they teach the 8 and 4 hand placement, so I tried it and after banging my elbows a couple of times I had to inform him that I thought he was crazy. But we did agree that sometimes you have to completely let go of the wheel to gain control again. So I am conpletely happy with my little above 9 and 3 placement.

Dan Cooper Verified Driver

Region: San Francisco
Car #: 35
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dan Cooper     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Ramjet 8:
I was talking to a Highway Patrol driving instructor the other day and he said they teach the 8 and 4 hand placement, so I tried it and after banging my elbows a couple of times I had to inform him that I thought he was crazy. But we did agree that sometimes you have to completely let go of the wheel to gain control again. So I am conpletely happy with my little above 9 and 3 placement.

I find a little abive 9 and 3 to be the most comfortable as well.

--------------------
Dan
--
Green Miata #35
Integriteam/Integratis

guest driver

Region: 011
Car #: 47
Year : 94
Icon 1 posted  Profile for guest driver     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I have no clue who either of the drivers in this video are but, one hand , two hands, 9 & 3, whatever works for you, don't matter, this cat was driving very well...
Can't believe nobody has mentioned the fact that he left two car widths open to the inside and he still got punted off ... big time screw up by the car behind him ... driving over his head, careless driving, wrecking a competitor.

mdavis Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Southwest
Car #: 45
Year : 1991-sold,95,99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for mdavis     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by wheel:

+2 [thumbsup]

--------------------
Matthew F. Davis
Texas Region SCCA

CP Verified Driver

Region: NER
Car #: 7
Icon 1 posted  Profile for CP   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Please critique my hand position. This was my 4th or 5th race ever back in the spring. I'm a bit more aggressive now going into corners. Am I shuffling too much? Nice pad knockback on lap 2 in West Bend...surprised me going into Big Bend the following lap. Thanks for any constructive criticism.

--------------------
-Cy
Supported by LTD Racing & Speed Shack - New England's Premier Auto Accessory Store
Rt1 AutoMile - Norwood, MA
http://www.speedshackonline.com

Icon 1 posted  Profile for wheel     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Looks good to me. Just remember that the pull down hand should be doing most of the work. You are using a better muscle group when pulling down on the wheel than when pushing up, with the outside hand. You will notice much less fatigue, over a long race.

wheel

Dan Tiley Verified Driver Series Champ
Are you followin' me, camera guy???

Region: SEDIV
Car #: 33
Year : Whatever's Available!
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dan Tiley     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by CP:
Please critique my hand position.

After watching two of my buddies suffer multiple wrist fractures and a broken thumb at Mid-Ohio back in August resulting from a fairly minor scuffle where they locked front wheels side to side, I've become much more cognizant of NOT wrapping my thumb over the spoke of the wheel. I've been trying to put my thumb on the top surface of the wheel pointing upwards, or on the front surface of the spoke. Old habits return quickly when you're in a tight battle, however! A suade wheel really helps too since you get a better grip than smooth leather.

Also, everyone has different styles, but I'd recommend trying to not shuffle your hands so much. If you keep a constant hand position, (somewhere between 9-3 and 10-2) it's much easier to quickly find center when you get a little crossed up. Granted, when you really get things sideways or switch over to full Oh $@#$ mode, all bets are off! Have fun!

[ 11-10-2009, 10:02 AM: Message edited by: Dan Tiley ]

--------------------
Dan Tiley

Sponsored by Race Engineering

Spec Miata's fastest and best supported engine program!

Good point, about the thumbs. I've never had an injury, but I find myself hooking my thumbs and have to consciously move the thumbs off the spoke.

CP Verified Driver

Region: NER
Car #: 7
Icon 1 posted  Profile for CP   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thanks guys. I don't get much in-car instruction anymore and can use all the help I can get. I put some padding on the door near my elbow and find myself using it for support at times cuz my girlyman arms get tired near the end of a race sometimes. So:

1) Less shuffle steering; use bottom hand to pull steering wheel down rather than pushing up with the other hand
2) Save thumbs
3) Be more aggressive and don't back off as much following cars into braking zones

My Oh S1#t moment happened later in the race around the 4:10 point in this video

--------------------
-Cy
Supported by LTD Racing & Speed Shack - New England's Premier Auto Accessory Store
Rt1 AutoMile - Norwood, MA
http://www.speedshackonline.com

Kent Carter Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Future Never Has Been

Region: Houston
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kent Carter   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I've had the shattered thumb thing. I try very, very hard to keep my thumbs out of harms way, but I still find them looped around the wheel!

--------------------
Do I turn my 99 Hard S into a killerfast SM or seek a donor?

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: