Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » SMTV » DVR?

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: DVR?
IPRESS Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: MidDiv / SOWDIV
Car #: #39
Year : 99 LS1 Miata
Icon 1 posted  Profile for IPRESS     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

My DVR (race Optics) has gone bad....again so I am looking. I have two bullet cams and the external mic. I am a little frustrated so I was thinking of going with something that is simple and cheap.
GoProHD? or some other DVR?
Any suggestions?
I want simple as when I ge to grid I am not thinking about the camera.

Thanks for any ideas.

--------------------
Mac Spikes
IPRESS Racing
MER
East Street Auto
SAFERACER
Hoosier
Carbotech
MotorSport Ranch
Cresson, Texas
"To hell with you Gen. Sheridan...I 'll take Texas!"

LOREN WALLACE IS MY HERO!

Teamfour Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: WDCR
Car #: 04
Year : 1993
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Teamfour   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I use a GoPro for the roof mount (when some one is with me to turn it on).

However, I use a VIO camera and recorder for the in-car camera. Can't beat their recorder. Has a viewing screen and wireless remote.

--------------------
Lee Tilton
1993 Meowta #04
Brimtek Motorsports/ Team Four Racing
Team Four Racing

Muda Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
ComingToAMirrorNearYou

Region: WDC
Car #: #23
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Muda     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Aiptek A-HD+ or GVS.

--------------------
Muda Motorsports
"We're all here 'cause we're not all there."

cnj

Region: SW Division
Car #: 32
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for cnj     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Mac,

I use a pair of Casio Exlim's (one forward, one rear). Cheap, excellent video and audio with built in editing. Side benefit is their use as normal cameras. They work better than my 1080i Sony hard disk video camera which costs 5 times as much.

If you go this path, get the wide angle lens.

Biggest negative? Buy a spare battery. It has no remote (simply switch it on when I get in the car). Get an 4 or 8 gig card so you don't have to download till end of the weekend.

Craig J

Blake Clements Verified Driver Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: SW - Houston
Car #: 6
Year : 99, 96
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Blake Clements   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Do you use the Aiptek with some sort of bullet cam, or just alone? Price doesn't seem terrible. Any sample videos from an SM?

--------------------
Blake Clements

PhillipsRacePrep/SP Induction Systems/East Street Racing/MiataCage.com/Carbotech/WBR Graphics

www.blakeclements.com

Dusty Bottoms Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
99 all the way!

Region: Lone Star
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dusty Bottoms     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

http://www.theflip.com/en-us/

--------------------
"Your victory is tainted! Asterisk! Asterisk!!!"--Lisa Simpson

Icon 1 posted  Profile for IPRESS     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

AG,
With the Flip HD:
Do you think the auto shut off would be a problem?
How about mounted on the main hoop, do you think it will have washout?
Do you know anybody using one?
Do you know anybody looking for bullet cams?
What's been going on with you? Racing any? Enduros were fun this past year you should have been with us.

--------------------
Mac Spikes
IPRESS Racing
MER
East Street Auto
SAFERACER
Hoosier
Carbotech
MotorSport Ranch
Cresson, Texas

MegaModerator

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Blake Clements   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

What software are you guys using to modify the HD videos?

--------------------
Blake Clements

PhillipsRacePrep/SP Induction Systems/East Street Racing/MiataCage.com/Carbotech/WBR Graphics

www.blakeclements.com

New entry in the sweepstakes:
BULLETCAM.COM

Light Heavy, you mean I have to mess with software? I really need one punch easy button or I tend to F it up.

--------------------
Mac Spikes
IPRESS Racing
MER
East Street Auto
SAFERACER
Hoosier
Carbotech
MotorSport Ranch
Cresson, Texas

TR6

Region: Southwest
Car #: 500
Year : 2002
Icon 1 posted  Profile for TR6     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I use the Aiptek A-HD+. I have it wired into the car using a "frankencharger" plugged into a 12v port so I don't have to worry about the battery going dead. Here is a recent video of a test/tune lap. Yeah, I know I'm slow... [Smile]
http://vimeo.com/7656839

--------------------
Greg H.
2002 red Miata #500
Denton, Texas

MPR22

Car #: 22
Year : 92'
Icon 1 posted  Profile for MPR22     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I recently purchased the Aiptek A-HD+ from Amazon, 179.99. TR6, how did you mount yours at two points per GCR?

--------------------
Michael Ross

TR6

Icon 1 posted  Profile for TR6     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by MPR22:
TR6, how did you mount yours at two points per GCR?

I'm not sure I did. But I use this camera mount:
http://www.saferacer.com/chase-cam-ez-camera-mount-125-2.html?productid=1819
combined with a fabricated "L" shaped metal bracket to support it from the side. Aipteks are notorious for having a weak mounting point in the camera body so additional support is a good idea. I wanted to post a photo of it here but for some reason I guess this site doesn't allow you to post photos?

--------------------
Greg H.
2002 red Miata #500
Denton, Texas

Drago Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: mid south
Car #: 2
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Mac
Buy the chase cam from traqmate, best deal going. It works with data and all starts when you start logging data and stors on a card
Jim

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com
2006-2007 Mid-West Division
07,09 June Sprints Champion

EAST STREET RACING

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

It would be interesting to know what actually passes that new rule where it has to be "secured" on 2 sides and neither one with plactic or elastic. I would think the L-bracket could count. Pegasus says this counts but the strap is nylon (a plastic):

http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productdetails.asp?RecID=648

It almost seems like lanyard would count for one but maybe not.

I haven't seen many cameras with 2 tripod mounts on different sides. I was thinking about a normal camera mount plus strapping the camera to a secondary bracket.

The bullet cam makes mounting per the rules pretty simple.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Dusty Bottoms Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
99 all the way!

Region: Lone Star
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dusty Bottoms     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

What's funny is that most cameras have plastic bodies and you're really attaching to that in the end.

Mac, I don't know the answers to most of your questions. I have seen people use either a flip or aiptek in a SM. It is supposed to be very easy to use. Has some editing features in it, plug and upload to youtube directly.

I have not had a need to buy one since my Sony MiniDV still works and I also have a GoPro Hero that I use for bike rides.

--------------------
"Your victory is tainted! Asterisk! Asterisk!!!"--Lisa Simpson

Vick Verified Driver
Do they sell spec training wheels?

Region: NYR
Car #: 12
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Vick     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Anyone tried the SmartyCam yet? I'm not in the market but that looked like a pretty good product.

--------------------
http://www.volko.com

Steven Holloway Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Blue Eyes, Aquarius, hates being squeezed to the grass in SowDiv!

Region: Lonestar
Car #: 97
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Steven Holloway     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Mac, you can transfer and save videos easily from the Aiptek camera, but, be aware it records in the .mov format. If you are a Mac guy, you can edit them easily.
For pc's you can use windows movie maker but you have to convert them to another format. Easily done for free with http://www.any-video-converter.com/.
Good luck

--------------------
If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's got electrical problems.

I think I am going to try Craig's Casio Exilim setup, at least one direction. (I have to find out how he mounts them.) The Bulletcam also looks like a good budget move. The Casio works cause I was looking for a camera to take stills with also that downloads easily. Not sure I need HD, but I think it is available.

--------------------
Mac Spikes
IPRESS Racing
MER
East Street Auto
SAFERACER
Hoosier
Carbotech
MotorSport Ranch
Cresson, Texas

MegaModerator

quote:
Originally posted by Steven Holloway:
Mac, you can transfer and save videos easily from the Aiptek camera, but, be aware it records in the .mov format. If you are a Mac guy, you can edit them easily.
For pc's you can use windows movie maker but you have to convert them to another format. Easily done for free with http://www.any-video-converter.com/.
Good luck

So if you change the file format from MOV with the converter, does it lose the HD quality?

--------------------
Blake Clements

www.blakeclements.com

TR6

quote:
Originally posted by Steven Holloway:
Good luck

I bought Quicktime Pro for about $30. Works great and you can save the .MOV files from Aiptek into other formats as well as do editing.

--------------------
Greg H.
2002 red Miata #500
Denton, Texas

Steven Holloway Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Blue Eyes, Aquarius, hates being squeezed to the grass in SowDiv!

Region: Lonestar
Car #: 97
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Steven Holloway     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Not on my computer...haven't tried it on the LCD yet, but I will.
You could always buy imovie...

--------------------
If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's got electrical problems.

Muda Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
ComingToAMirrorNearYou

Region: WDC
Car #: #23
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Muda     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

You might be able to get away with changing the .mov to .mp4. That's what you have to do to get the files into Sony Vegas.

--------------------
Muda Motorsports
"We're all here 'cause we're not all there."

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: