» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » SMTV » SDHC Cards

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: SDHC Cards
Blake Clements Verified Driver Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: SW - Houston
Car #: 6
Year : 99, 96
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Blake Clements   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

What Class of Card are you guys using to record HD video using Aiptek or the like? Wide variation in price on the cards and not quite sure what the cards that Aiptek are selling are.

Thanks.

--------------------
Blake Clements

PhillipsRacePrep/SP Induction Systems/East Street Racing/MiataCage.com/Carbotech/WBR Graphics

www.blakeclements.com

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Blake,
The ones GoPro sells are class 4. Class 2 is pretty much sufficient for video though as far as I can tell. Off the GoPro website, here's what they say the data rate of the camera is shooting vid in various formats:

1080p = 1920x1080 pixels (16:9), 30 fps, 15 Mbit/s
960p = 1280x960 pixels (4:3), 30 fps, 12 Mbit/s
720p = 1280x720 pixels (16:9), 60 fps, 15 Mbit/s
720p = 1280x720 pixels (16:9), 30 fps, 8 Mbit/s
WVGA = 848x480 pixels (16:9), 60 fps, 8 Mbit/s

Since a byte is 8 bits, shooting at 1080p it's transferring video at less than 2MB/s (class 2). Since class 2 will handle 1080p, the card won't be a bottleneck for your camera.

Card readers that support USB 2.0 though will transfer data at 60MB/s though so the faster the card, the faster you can get the video onto your computer. A 32GB card will store over 4 hrs at 1080p but with a class 2 card, it will take just as long to download is it does to record.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

MPR22

Region: Southwest
Car #: 22
Year : 92'
Icon 1 posted  Profile for MPR22     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Blake,

Bought a 16 gig class 4 from Sam's Club for $34. Used it on my Aiptek for school and it recorded forever at 720p @ 60fps. 1080p @ 30fps looked choppy. The video looks great, once downloaded to youtube, not so good. Definately get a fuse block to hard wire your Aiptek, it only runs about 60 minutes on a charge.

--------------------
Michael Ross

Buelligan Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: WDC
Car #: 05
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Buelligan     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220444

Blake this is a class 6 High Speed 32GB for about $120. About as good as it gets for speed but look at the site they have tons of options and the prices are great. Also fast shipping at a good price.

--------------------
Mike Monaghan
#05 SSM
"BUELL" The Original STREETFIGHTER

Buelligan Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Car #: 05
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Buelligan     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Some lower cost 16GB cards:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820139058

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820183212

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220451
WOW here is a class 10 16GB for $50.00

--------------------
Mike Monaghan
#05 SSM
"BUELL" The Original STREETFIGHTER

Muda Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
ComingToAMirrorNearYou

Car #: #23
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Muda     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Here is a branded 32gb class 6 for $60, free shipping which I was thinking about the other day for another project:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem...&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I've never had any issue with any speed cards with the Aiptek. 16gb gives you over 4 hours at 1080p so I can't imagine why you would need bigger.

I have found that reformatting the chip after transferring the files, rather than just erasing them, gives you a better chance of not having file corruption problems.

--------------------
Muda Motorsports
"We're all here 'cause we're not all there."

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I go with smaller cards and try to remember to swap them out between sessions in case one goes belly up. That way I cut the loss somewhat. I label the little plastic cases they go in so I don't wind up with more files called "ITA practice I think".

Not too small though. I want enough memory to store at least 2 sessions for the times when I remember I didn't change the card right before pre-grid and I sometimes forget to shut off the camera when we're standing around BSing in impound so it turns into a long vid with a boring ending. [Razz]

I also bring along multiple sets of rechargable batteries (all charged) for the same reason.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

MegaModerator

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Blake Clements   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-SDSDHV-016G-A15-1...A6/ref=dp_cp_ob_e_title_1

This is the card I bought. I read reviews of some of the "unbranded" ones and was a little worried about performance and longevity, especially in the environment I'll be using it in.

--------------------
Blake Clements

PhillipsRacePrep/SP Induction Systems/East Street Racing/MiataCage.com/Carbotech/WBR Graphics

www.blakeclements.com

ComingToAMirrorNearYou

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Muda     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

That'll do you just fine.

Since your season never ends, how soon will we be seeing these fine vids?

(Oops, I edited your post instead of posting my own. - Blake)

[ 12-14-2009, 11:10 PM: Message edited by: Blake Clements ]

--------------------
Muda Motorsports

MegaModerator

I hope to have some videos from Homestead and Sebring in mid January. I'll have a few test days to play with the setup.

--------------------
Blake Clements

www.blakeclements.com

Gatoratty Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Central Florida
Car #: 3
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Just bought the GoPro HD at PRI so I will be trying it with one of the 32gb cards you guys have mentioned.

--------------------
Paul McLester

caesss Verified Driver

Region: Southwest
Car #: 49
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for caesss   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

What is your experience with the GoPro HD. I've been told 720p is just fine. A lot of 1080p on youTube look choppy. Nothing to do with the camera but I hear that recording at 1080p is overkill unless you are burning bluray's but 720p is ideal for web.

comments?

--------------------
Caesar Vielmas
YozoY.com | blu27.com

CP Verified Driver

Region: NER
Car #: 7
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for CP   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Yes gents, please do tell us about the resolution on the Hero HD. I just picked up one of them (got tired of the finicky other two I own) and am wondering what resolution I should be recording at. I'll never need to get 9 hours of racing on one (32GB) card, so which SDHC card should I choose to get a weekend total of roughly 4 hours max of racing?

--------------------
-Cy
Supported by LTD Racing & Speed Shack - New England's Premier Auto Accessory Store
Rt1 AutoMile - Norwood, MA
http://www.speedshackonline.com

Slow Ride

Car #: 54
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Slow Ride     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?ci=1097&N=4288586995+4294955783

Lexar is the best I've used in my photography business as far as CF cards go. Haven't tried them for video though.

--------------------
No matter where you go, there you are.

ComingToAMirrorNearYou

quote:
Originally posted by CP:
I just picked up one of them (got tired of the finicky other two I own) and am wondering what resolution I should be recording at.

The speed of the card doesn't seem to be a factor in any of the hd camera's I've used. The reason to buy a name brand is only for reliability as I've had a couple of the ultra cheap ones fail.

I like recording at 1080p, 30fps and then rendering to 720p, 25fps for online use. However, recording at 720p also works just fine. Haven't really noticed a significant advantage to using 60fps for our applications.

Now if we can just get you some software that properly sync's your sound I can really learn something from your vids. ( :

--------------------
Muda Motorsports

CP Verified Driver

Region: NER
Car #: 7
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for CP   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Please feel free to make some suggestions on software. I'm using Windows Movie Maker 2.6 and as you can see, it sucks but it was free. I'd be willing to drop $30 on a decent conversion program for my PC if it would get rid of that sync issue as the race continues that I'm having now.

I'll have to play with the camera settings to find which one I like the best.

[ 06-26-2010, 02:14 PM: Message edited by: CP ]

--------------------
-Cy
Supported by LTD Racing & Speed Shack - New England's Premier Auto Accessory Store
Rt1 AutoMile - Norwood, MA
http://www.speedshackonline.com

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: