» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » SMTV » Video Editing Software

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Video Editing Software
Tom Scheifler Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Veteran Member

Region: MIDIV-STL
Car #: 28
Year : 1990
Icon 5 posted  Profile for Tom Scheifler   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

[help]

I'm looking for a software product that will allow me to crop the 16:9 footage for two different cars (same race) and then combine them back to a single screen (one on top and one on bottom) in a time synchronized manner. And then render it as mpg2 format and/or burn to DVD.

Sony Vegas 7 does this but it also does lots of other stuff and costs $800. I'd like to find something for less than $150. Any recommendations based on experience?

John A - 5X Racing Verified Driver
www.5xracing.com

Region: NASA FL / CFR SCCA
Car #: 25
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for John A - 5X Racing   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I have no experience with that specific program, but I do know you can find programs that are typically very expensive brand new, used on ebay for MUCH cheaper. You might want to look at getting the same program or the previous version of the same program (as long as it has the features you want) used on ebay. A lot of those bigtime production companies have no use for outdated programs, but they will probably work for what you want to do.

John

--------------------
John Adamczyk

Owner: 5X Racing Online Race Shop
Driver: Team 5X Racing #25 Spec Miata
NASA FL Race Director
Race Engineering Powered 1.6

Veteran Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Tom Scheifler   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thanks for the suggestion John.

For anyone else looking at this kind of software, the following site might be useful ...

http://video-editing-software-review.toptenreviews.com

KKRR Series Champ

Region: Central Florida
Car #: 78
Icon 1 posted  Profile for KKRR   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Pinnacal Studio movie box Plus

149.00 Best Buy

Veteran Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Tom Scheifler   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

KKR,

I installed the demo version of Pinnacle but I cannot figure out how to crop two different clips and then combine them into a single clip so that shows footage from both cars on screen at the same time.

Do you know for a fact that Pinnacle can do this?

Thanks,
Tom

KKRR Series Champ

Car #: 78
Icon 1 posted  Profile for KKRR   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I just did with two different videos.

No problem for Pinnacle Ver. 10.7 don't know about the demo program.

Veteran Member

I learned that there are three variations of the Sony Vegas software: Production for $525, Plantinum for $125, and plain Movie Studio + DVD for $90. I found that the plain $90 product could do what I mentioned above.

After trying both Vegas Movie Studio 6 and Pinnacle I settled on Vegas MS 6 (maybe just because it was familiar to me after working with the trial version of the $600 package).

In any event, below is a link to a 20 second clip that shows it can do what I wanted plus a little extra "video swapping" for passing.

Sample Video Clip

[rockband]

--------------------
http://www.plainoldgas.com

Steve Scheifler Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: STL
Car #: 82
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Steve Scheifler     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Oh sure, show a clip of you passing me. The way you blow by you MUST be cheating!. [Smile]

Veteran Member

Well, I did replace names with numbers to protect the innocent (and slow). [burst]

--------------------

Larry D. Smith Verified Driver

Region: 061 - North Carolina
Car #: 94
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Larry D. Smith     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

What did you use in Vegas MS 6 to get the 2 videos on the same screen? I have tried looking at mine and can't seem to find how to do that?!&@#

--------------------
Larry D. Smith

Veteran Member

Hey Larry,

It took me some trial an error to figure this out. Here are the steps I use ...

1. Place each video in your project as separate tracks.

2. Select the Event Pan/Crop image located at the end of a track (screen shot)

3. In the Event Pan/Crop window
* make sure Lock Aspect Ratio is not clicked.
* make sure Size About Center is not clicked.
* set Stretch to Fill Frame to No
* then drag the top and bottom handles of the dotted line frame size to be what you want (screen shot)

4. Select the Track Motion image located in the track controls area (screen shot)

5. In the Track Motion window
* make sure Lock Aspect Ratio is not clicked.
* make sure Scale About Center is not clicked.
* then change your X and Y values directly or by draging the frame (screen shot)

It's just that easy. [Wink]

Since I'm just learning how to do video editing, there may be other and easier ways to do this. But this seems to be effective.

Tom

--------------------

Larry D. Smith Verified Driver

Region: 061 - North Carolina
Car #: 94
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Larry D. Smith     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thanks ... I'll try it. I have video out of the front and the back so thought it would be interesting to put it together on one once I saw what you had done. We'll see what happens!

Again Thanks!

--------------------
Larry D. Smith

Veteran Member

Yep. I was planning to get front and rear video this year and do the same thing. [thumbsup]

--------------------

jwarren Verified Driver

Region: NNJ
Car #: 51
Icon 1 posted  Profile for jwarren   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

i've had experience with Adobe premiere, Final Cut pro, sony vegas, sony vegas platinum, and then pinnacle. Out of all of these, sony vegas is by far the most user friendly software. It can accept 16:9 (which is what i use) and has very few bugs which makes editing very simple and fast.

as far as pure power, final cut is by far the best... adobe premiere is kind of like final cut but with less than impressive results.

if you check out my website, you can see a quick video i did using JUST sony vegas premiere. the footage from my camera is in 16:9, the other camera wasn't [Frown]

<a href="http://www.ridgespeedracing.com/Sponsorship.htm" target="_blank" style="text-decoration: underline">http://www.ridgespeedracing.com/Sponsorship.htm</a>

it is the video in the little box. maximise it and you'll see what i mean

[ 03-05-2007, 08:48 AM: Message edited by: jwarren ]

--------------------
Ridgespeed Racing

#51 J. Andrew Warren

http://www.ridgespeedracing.com

Vick Verified Driver
Do they sell spec training wheels?

Region: NYR
Car #: 12
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Vick     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Reviving an old thread here. I'm looking to use two gopros and overlay the videos....front and rear, foot cam, how wide my eyes get when i wind up in four wheel drift mode....all that good stuff.

I was planning on getting the basic Sony Vegas software off of ebay, but if anyone has a better suggestion I'm open to it. Basically I'm upgrading from using Windows Movie Maker to give you an idea of what I'm starting with.

Thanks!

-Vick

--------------------
http://www.volko.com

joer Verified Driver

Icon 1 posted  Profile for joer     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Here's a good run down on the softwares:

http://lifehacker.com/5165944/six-best-video-editing-applications

I use the adobe, It's ok, however the Sony software looks good.

--------------------
The Spec Miata (SM) class is intended to provide the membership with the opportunity to compete in low cost, production-based cars with limited modifications, suitable for racing competition.

Danny Steyn Verified Driver

Region: SE
Car #: 39
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Danny Steyn   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

As someone who has done this both as a hobby and as a source of income (never been a full time video editor), but have put together around fifty promo segments for businesses over the years, and I have used

Adobe Premiere Pro
Canopus Edius
Apple Final Cut Pro
Avid Composer
Sony Vegas

I prefer Premier Pro for its itegration with the other Adeobe products - Photoshop, Encore and After Effects, which now in CS4 are absolutely seamless direct from the timeline. By this I mean that if you edit a title on Photoshop it automatically updates the video timeline.

Also with the newest release of Premier Pro, they have a separate encoder. That means that once you decide to output your finished product, say to .wmv, the encoder app opens and Premiere dumps the project into the encoder app and it runs in the background, allowing you to continue editing in Premiere.

It also allows you to dump the same project into the encoder and output to a variety of formats seqentially. i.e. you go to bed and wake up to find your project now complete in any format of your choice ready for web / mobile phones , DVD, etc. (.wmv / .avi / HD / .mov / .mts / MP2 / etc. formats

FCP and Premiere are similar in interface, just different OS's. But I know some Apple guys running Premiere as opposed to FCP.

hope this helps

--------------------
Danny
http://www.dannysteyn.com
http://www.adeptstudios.com
OPM Autosports | Traqmate | Rossini Racing Engines
2010 June Sprints Champ, 2010 ARRC SMX Champ
2009 SARRC Champ, 2009 SEDiv ECR Champ, 2009 FES Champ
2008 SEDiv ECR Champ

Kent Carter Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Future Never Has Been

Region: Houston
Car #: 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kent Carter   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I've had excellent results with Sony Vegas Video, but Premiere is also very good. All of these higher end editing suites have a bit of a learning curve.

--------------------
Do I turn my 99 Hard S into a killerfast SM or seek a donor?

Richard Pressman Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: WDC
Car #: 87
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Richard Pressman     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I also started out with Window's Movie Maker and soon became frustrated with it due to its limited abilities.

I'm now using Sony Vegas Movie Studio 9. It does have a higher learning curve but the software has a tutor and gets you up and running on the basics very quickly.

The software, at least on my laptop, has been very stable and reasonably quick.

There are still tons of features I haven't explored yet - but with just the basics I've done some split screen, slo-mo, titles and a music track. Granted it's still kinda rough, but way better than Windows Movie Maker.

Made this shortly after getting the software

Oh...BTW, I picked up the software new at one of the big box stores for about $100.

...edited post to correct the version to SVMS-9

[ 03-25-2009, 09:50 PM: Message edited by: Richard Pressman ]

Buelligan Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Car #: 05
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Buelligan     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

For low cost I have and like Nero 9 for about $80 as a download and $100 retail box. Works good and doesn't have a steep learning curve. Does everything I've needed so far.

--------------------
Mike Monaghan
#05 SSM
"BUELL" The Original STREETFIGHTER

Gatoratty Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Car #: 3
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

If you are not a pro and use a mac....look at Final Cut Express at $199

--------------------
Paul McLester

G. Davis Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Car #: 03
Icon 1 posted  Profile for G. Davis     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Pressman:
I also started out with Window's Movie Maker and soon became frustrated with it due to its limited abilities.

I'm now using Sony Vegas Movie Studio Seven/DVD Architect (name may not be exactly that - I'm at the office). It does have a higher learning curve but the software has a tutor and gets you up and running on the basics very quickly.

The software, at least on my laptop, has been very stable and reasonably quick.

There are still tons of features I haven't explored yet - but with just the basics I've done some split screen, slo-mo, titles and a music track. Granted it's still kinda rough, but way better than Windows Movie Maker.

Made this shortly after getting the software

Oh...BTW, I picked up the software new at one of the big box stores for about $100.

Nice vid. I hope that the car that passed Chris still has the powah since it is now in my incapable hands [rolling on floor laughin]

--------------------
--------------------

Glenn Davis

Vick Verified Driver
Do they sell spec training wheels?

Region: NYR
Car #: 12
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Vick     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Looks like a good video to me. When you put two cameras together do you have to split screen, or can you make one smaller and overlay it (ie, can you take a rearward facing camera and make it 1/4 of the screen or less?

Thanks for sharing the sample! I'm pretty impressed with it compared to Windows Movie Maker.

--------------------
http://www.volko.com

Kent Carter Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Future Never Has Been

Region: Houston
Car #: 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kent Carter   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

In Vegas Video, you can make the second camera any way you want, even changing it's size as the video runs. For example, if all the good action is on Cam 1 for a bit, but then something interesting happens in Cam 2, you can expand Cam 2 for a few seconds and then return it to the smaller size overlay.

Most higher end suites have this capability.

--------------------
Do I turn my 99 Hard S into a killerfast SM or seek a donor?

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: