» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » SMTV » Sony Camcorder issues

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Sony Camcorder issues
RYGAR Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
"The Unethical"

Region: San Francisco
Car #: 29
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for RYGAR     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

This past weekend I noticed that I had some corruption on a few parts of my videos. I have the Sony HC30-- but I know it's similar to most sony cams out there...

When I first turned the camera on with a tape in (without recording) I could see the picture was corrupt...yellow blotchy parts where light would be in the top half of the screen... Then It disappeared and occasionally would happen during the first ITA race.

Then during my second race (SMT), it surprisingly seemed to better. Only a few flashes here and there, but not for a minute at a time like the first race. I'm assuming it's not the tape as I used 2 different tapes, and the pop-out viewer showed the corruption before I ever hit record.

Has anyone else experienced this? If so, does it ever go away, or get better? Do you think it's dirty? Anyway to clean it? Again, I have a tape head cleaner, but it seems to be in the lens, not the tape.. I can break out the compressor and blast it, but that may not be a good idea...

Is this camera on it's way out? I know it's not worth paying a couple hundred dollars to repair...

I believe I have about 10 races on this camera and I mount it to the I/O port camera mount. I'm wondering if I need to add some padding or something around the camera to keep the vibration levels down.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
-Ryan

PS: It was also about 90-95 degrees out, but I never kept it in direct sun I kept it in the shade...

--------------------
Ryan G. #29
http://www.RentMoneyRacing.com

Steve Holifield Verified Driver

Car #: 44
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Steve Holifield     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Does it display the same way when you watch it at home on a TV screen? Is the problem with the tape or the display? The LCD's don't do well in the heat. I had a problem with my camera's screen this weekend, but it was fine when it cooled.

Steve

"The Unethical"

Icon 1 posted  Profile for RYGAR     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

yeah, it showed up on the flip screen without recording, then it recorded the corruption and played on my TV at home showing the corruption as well. And it wasn't like I'd hit a rumblestrip and it would happen... it was really random... on the straights, etc..

--------------------
Ryan G. #29

wheel Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: kc
Car #: 20
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for wheel     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Was it a lens flare from a bounce of light into the lens? Could also be a glitch in the chip from vibration.

"The Unethical"

quote:
Originally posted by wheel:
Was it a lens flare from a bounce of light into the lens? Could also be a glitch in the chip from vibration.

I don't know... I'll try to get a picture of what it looks like... The yellow "blur" literally comes from the top of the screen and goes to the dashboard on my in-car...it goes down TO the rear view mirror, then it mysteriously doesn't go over the mirror and there is a "clear window" below the mirror... it's like a bad 80's music video... I think it has to with the light. But the camera got better in the second race. I'll play around with it the next couple of weeks and see how it works in cooler temps...

--------------------
Ryan G. #29

Kent Carter Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Future Never Has Been

Region: Houston
Car #: 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kent Carter   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Ryan,

Go through the menus and make sure you don't have a low light setting selected. Point the camera into bright light (light bulb) and see what it does. It sounds like overload of the CCD. It's possible that the iris or the motor that controls it is going bad, but I'd thoroughly go through the menus before I buried it in the back yard.

--------------------
Do I turn my 99 Hard S into a killerfast SM or seek a donor?

Dusty Bottoms Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
99 all the way!

Region: Lone Star
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dusty Bottoms     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

So this blur looks "analog" or "digital"

Any chance you have moisture between lenses (do you have a wide angle lens)

FWIW I have an HC20 and I can race in it when it's 100F (much hotter in the car) with no problems.

--------------------
"Your victory is tainted! Asterisk! Asterisk!!!"--Lisa Simpson

"The Unethical"

I have a wide angle lens on it...I can check under to see if there is moisture...there shouldn't be, but you never know... the yellow blur definitely looks "digital".

--------------------
Ryan G. #29

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: