» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » SMTV » Aiptek - External Power

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Aiptek - External Power
Muda Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
ComingToAMirrorNearYou

Region: WDC
Car #: #23
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Muda     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I was able to modify my Aiptek HD+ to run on in-car power.

I gutted a battery pack and ran 4.5 volt power from a regulated power supply to the contact plate. It seems to run happily at .7v over the rated output. FWIW, a fresh battery puts out 4.1v with no load.

The contact closest to the edge of the pack is the negative and the farthest away from it is the positive. The center contact is used to control the pack for recharging and works with a built in temperature sensor.

I did have to bridge the negative attachment point with the contact point with a solder wipe in order to get voltage to the camera.

If anyone would like any more info I'd be happy to post it along with some pics.

--------------------
Muda Motorsports
"We're all here 'cause we're not all there."

thewolf

Icon 1 posted  Profile for thewolf   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I would love to see some pics. I have an older model, sorry I don't remember the model it's not the HD version, but would still love to see it. I bought a spare battery, but the player doesn't always work correctly with it.
Does the HD version run on Windows Media Player? All I have to do now is download the files and it opens write up. I never opened the disc that came with it.

--------------------
Mark
http://www.p1-2day.com
The source for indoor karting
http://www.driverelement.com

Viet-Tam Luu
Slow

Region: San Francisco Region
Car #: 14
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Viet-Tam Luu   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Here's a video from mine: http://www.vimeo.com/1894278

I bought the extended battery pack and just use the 12V outlet-to-USB cable to charge the camera between sessions. I've thought about figuring out how to hardwire power doing something along the same lines as Muda but with the bigger battery I've never had a problem of running out of charge, so it hasn't been a priority.

I wrote up a review of the camera on JustRacing: http://www.justracing.com/review/80

I noticed there's a new model out with image stabilization (meh) and an external microphone jack (yay!)...

The camera outputs Quicktime-wrapped (MOV) files; video is encoded using H.264 codec, audio using AAC. If you have Quicktime or Quicktime Alternative installed it should open right up.

I use MPEG Streamclip to trim the videos "in the field". Gets rids of all that video of me sitting in pre-grid. [Smile]

--------------------
Viet-Tam Luu (a.k.a. "Tam")
SFR-SCCA #14 ITS
Director, SCCA San Francisco Region

Vick Verified Driver
Do they sell spec training wheels?

Region: NYR
Car #: 12
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Vick     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

With the GoPro I got a lot of extra footage of me in the garage, in the pregrid, funny things during all car impounds.....Someday I should go through it all and make a Spec Miata blooper reel.

--------------------
http://www.volko.com

luffberry

Region: SCR
Car #: 9
Year : 97
Icon 1 posted  Profile for luffberry   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I have only used my new Go Pro one time. I had it mounted on the harness bar of my rollbar between my two race seats (track day/TT car). I got excellent in car video, but nothing but overexposed useless video thru the windshield. Is that normal ?? My next attempt will be with the camera mounted on the windshield.

Any help is appreciated

Moe
Luffberry Motorsports
Miata #9

Vick Verified Driver
Do they sell spec training wheels?

Region: NYR
Car #: 12
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Vick     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

PM Sent, but I'm wondering if it's because of it being relatively low in the car. If the camera is focusing more on the dark interior than out of the bright exterior, I could see it causing that problem.

--------------------
http://www.volko.com

wheel Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: kc
Car #: 20
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for wheel     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

All of the auto iris cameras read the whole from to set the exposure. If most of the frame is dark, the iris opens up and the outside will be blown out. You can us ND filter material over the bright area to compensate, but that is pretty difficult with the little lenses on the GoPro and Aiptec. When you put the camera up front, so it only sees the outside, the exposure should be perfect. Of course, it will change as you go from back lit to front lit, depending on where the sun is in relation to your direction of travel.
On another note, I had a bug hit the windshield in front of the camera and it immediately changed focus to the bug. The rest of the race the bug was needle sharp and everything else was a blur. Now I set it on manual focus before I start out.
wheel

Eric Barbaric Verified Driver

Region: Kansas City
Car #: 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Eric Barbaric   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Ha! You ought to post that video!

Icon 1 posted  Profile for wheel     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I think I recorded over it. It was pretty funny, watching the bug lose its wings at high speed.

Jfornachon Verified Driver

Region: socal
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jfornachon     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Be carefull what you post the PETA people might get the wrong idea about us.

Have a great day,
Jared

Disclaimer:
I just watched, I had nothing to do with the actual death of the aforementioned bug. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

ComingToAMirrorNearYou

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Muda     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Here are the pics of the in-car power mod. A 4.5v dc regulated power supply seemed to work OK. Hint: mousetrap wood is the same thickness as the battery core. I'm going to try it out next weekend. Enjoy!

-
 -
 -
 -
 -

--------------------
Muda Motorsports

ComingToAMirrorNearYou

Update - Works great.

--------------------
Muda Motorsports

Eric Barbaric Verified Driver

Region: Kansas City
Car #: 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Eric Barbaric   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Where does the 4.5 volt DC regulated supply come from? Is this simply tying into an existing wire? Or does it involve buying something from Radio Shack?

My camera is worthless for my daughter's basketball games and plays (poor zoom and audio). I bought a bullet cam for the line-in and hope to wire this in the trunk and not worry about it.

ctkellett Verified Driver
http://www.syncspeedinc.com

Region: Phila
Car #: 93
Icon 1 posted  Profile for ctkellett   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Everything you ever wanted to know about powering and using this camera is in this thread from rennlist, the charger is priceless.

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/showthread.php?t=430788&referrerid=67371

--------------------
All the best,

Chris

Sync Speed, Inc.

Racing Communications
(610) 659- 1033
syncspeedinc@mac.com

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: