Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Competition Tires » New Wheel From Mazda

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: New Wheel From Mazda
Z-MAN Verified Driver

Region: Mid-South
Car #: 54
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Z-MAN     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Just saw this announcement at Mazdaspeed thought I would share it.

Don't know if they are in stock yet...

http://www.mazdaspeeddevelopment.com/news/category/new-parts/miata/

MZ

Jfornachon Verified Driver

Region: socal
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jfornachon     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

It looks like they can be bought any time.

Sphinx Verified Driver
M. Yusuf Mohamed

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Sphinx     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Can anyone compare/contrast this one and the Iron Canyon Motorsports one on their performance?

--------------------
Sphinx Racing
Atlanta Region
http://www.sphinxracing.com
http://www.layersdesserts.com
Support our racing efforts by shopping at your favorite online merchants at SphinxRacing.com!

Gibscreen Verified Driver Series Champ

Region: NASA-SoCal
Car #: 23
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gibscreen   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Only flat black? It hides the brake dust, but looks like hell on most cars that have nice bright paint schemes.

I also like that the picture shows a 5 lug wheel.

--------------------
Rob Gibson
RJ Racing
2010 NASA Nationals TTE Champion
2008/2009 WERC Champion
2007 NASA SoCal SM Champion
rjracing.net
Weekend-Racer.com

Sean Allen Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: SFR
Car #: 54!
Year : 90'
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Sean Allen   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

It's not a new wheel by any means. I think it just came out in a 25mm offset though.

Gibscreen Verified Driver Series Champ

Region: NASA-SoCal
Car #: 23
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gibscreen   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Sphinx:
Can anyone compare/contrast this one and the Iron Canyon Motorsports one on their performance?

I personally haven't used either of them, but just by looking at the two, it seems like the ICM wheel has a shot at better performance from a Moment of Inertia standpoint. I say this because the Mazda wheel has holes drilled in the hub portion of the wheel (most likely to make the weight 13 lbs). Removing weight from this area will certainly reduce the total weight, but it should be a last resort because of MOI. The edges of the wheel would be a better place to remove weight--but of course it's pretty much impossible to remove weight at the edges of a wheel that's already made, so where do they remove weight? The hub.

The same is true for flywheels, clutches, cars, etc. Weight removed from the edges is almost ALWAYS going to give a bigger performance gain than removing weight from the center. This is probably why the rules say that the minimum weight of the wheel must be 13 lbs without spacers. If you included the weight of the spacer in the minimum weight, people would be buying 9 lbs wheels and putting 4 lb spacers on.

--------------------
Rob Gibson
RJ Racing
2010 NASA Nationals TTE Champion
2008/2009 WERC Champion
2007 NASA SoCal SM Champion
rjracing.net
Weekend-Racer.com

Necio

Region: 19
Year : 1997
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Necio     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I called Mazdaspeed Tuesday, January 6th, and I was told the wheels are not in stock yet.

I was told perhaps next month.

Rony

DW Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
WBR Graphics

Region: WDCR
Car #: 36
Year : 2000
Icon 1 posted  Profile for DW   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I've had a set of these wheels for 2 years now and can vouch for their durability, looks, and ease of cleaning. IMO, they are much better than the Kazeras. Mine are bronze and they make silver, so I would expect other color options in the future.
Hopefully the price will come down some. I paid $125 for mine.

--------------------
Darrell Wheeler
-------------------
WBR Graphics
King RAT Motorsports
PBC Automotive
Meathead Racing

MattInTheCouv

Region: Oregon
Car #: to be determined
SMIM: huh?
Icon 1 posted  Profile for MattInTheCouv   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

just heard from 5zigen, the wheels are of taiwanese manufacture, for anybody who is interested, here is the text of the e-mail reply i recieved:

Thank you for your inquiry.

All of FN01R-C Hot Version, including Mazdaspeed exclusive size, is made in a 5ZIGEN wheel factory in Taiwan.

5ZIGEN has wheel factories in China, Taiwan and Japan now.

Best regards,

Tsuyoshi Inoue, Sales Manager
5ZIGEN USA, INC.
17022 S. Montanero Ave. #2
Carson, CA 90746

amolaver Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: NASA MA
Car #: 50
Year : '96
Icon 1 posted  Profile for amolaver   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

are the iron canyon wheels still available? i can't seem to find them on their web site [Frown]

--------------------
ahm - http://www.awesom-oracing.com
2009 NASA MA SM Champion

Mark Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mark   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Unfortunately 949 Racing decided to discontinue the SM wheel for the time being. Just not enough volume in the SM wheel market given the manufacturing costs of the 6UL.

--------------------
Mark
http://www.ironcanyonmotorsports.com

andrew_anderson
National Member

Region: SC region and buccaneer
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for andrew_anderson     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Gibscreen:
quote:
Originally posted by Sphinx:

I personally haven't used either of them, but just by looking at the two, it seems like the ICM wheel has a shot at better performance from a Moment of Inertia standpoint. I say this because the Mazda wheel has holes drilled in the hub portion of the wheel (most likely to make the weight 13 lbs). Removing weight from this area will certainly reduce the total weight, but it should be a last resort because of MOI. The edges of the wheel would be a better place to remove weight--but of course it's pretty much impossible to remove weight at the edges of a wheel that's already made, so where do they remove weight? The hub.

The same is true for flywheels, clutches, cars, etc. Weight removed from the edges is almost ALWAYS going to give a bigger performance gain than removing weight from the center. This is probably why the rules say that the minimum weight of the wheel must be 13 lbs without spacers. If you included the weight of the spacer in the minimum weight, people would be buying 9 lbs wheels and putting 4 lb spacers on.

from my experience, lighter wheels only add a negligible amount of performance in these cars.
maybe at a track like daytona or lowes they would make a noticeable difference

--------------------
Dish NetworkNew Dish Network customers receive a $40 rebate if you are an SCCA member!
Race Engineering. Championship winning engines.
Carbotech Brakes
Panic Motorsports
Low Country Communications
2343 Main HWY
Bamberg, SC 29003

Mark Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mark   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Neither here nor there now but I'll add that when we were looking at producing the SM wheel we looked at many of the wheels in the market at the time. Most all claimed to be 13 lbs. Rota RB's were an exception - we knew those were heavy. When we weighed samples of the rest and found some were between 13.4 and 14.8 lbs. Most of our samples were pretty old so things may have improved since then. The 949 wheels were built to strict weight tolerances, I think 13.1 lbs max. And yes, we did get a some weight out of the edge of the rim and had to add weight back to the hub to stay at 13 lbs. It was actually kind of hard to make the wheel get up to 13 lbs as the original 949 Racing tooling was built to produce a wheel that was much lighter. Weigh your wheels people. You might be surprised at what you find. The 949's are available as street/track wheels. For the price (and maybe at any price) you will find none better for your Miata.

--------------------
Mark
http://www.ironcanyonmotorsports.com

motorrock

Region: DC Region
Icon 1 posted  Profile for motorrock     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by amolaver:
are the iron canyon wheels still available? i can't seem to find them on their web site [Frown]

If there was significant interest we would make the 949 Spec Miata wheel again......but we would need 400 units at least to start....

philstireservice.com

--------------------
philstireservice.com
philstireservice@aol.com

rlogan

Car #: 27
Year : 96
Icon 1 posted  Profile for rlogan   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'd like to see them again...I have a set of their 15x8s

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: