Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Competition Tires » Remounting used tires

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Remounting used tires
Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I have some used but not used up RA-1s I want to mount this weekend for ITA s***'s and giggles and I'm wondering what direction to put them. 8's seem to wear on the outsides but I don't have much experience on the care and feeding of RA-1s. There's some camber wear on them. Put the worn bit on the inside or outside? Not sure how they wear but I'm trying to put the most rubber where they wear the most.

I currently have 2.9* of camber in the front and 2.5 in the rear but I'm going to see if I can bump up the rear a bit, old bent suspension bits permitting if that matters.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

W. Bonsell

Region: NWR/Oregon
Car #: #26
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for W. Bonsell     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Keith...
I am in a bit of the same questioning mode. I would guess that best to put the better rubber outside, but then I don't have much experience. Also, I paid local dealer about $75 buck to mount my new set of RA-1's...Seems it can get very expensive remounting tires all the time. Any idea how one can mitigate the expense...Make a deal with a tire shop for unlimited mounting and balancing for some advertising on the car?

--------------------
William Bonsell
SCCA/ICSCC #26
SM/ITA

wheel Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: kc
Car #: 20
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for wheel     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I have always flipped them to put the best rubber outside.

Pack Fodder

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

That's what I thought but I figured I'd check first. Thanks!

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Pack Fodder

Bill,

I've checked around. Discount tires charges $18. Les Schwab was asking $28. Nobody offered a discount for volume. At the track I think I paid $12 but that was with unmounted rims/tires.

I do know a guy with a tire ballancing machine in his garage, has a business and does vinyl so he could sticker up my car with whatever graphics he wants to promote the business. When you do the math though, great opportunity for me...not so much for him. [Razz]

(Edit: Quick parting thought though...it probably wouldn't be great for me either if as part of the deal he insisted on a big yellow vinyl decal reading "DICKHEAD DRIVER".)

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Colin MacLean Verified Driver
Fly Fifer

Region: Atlanta
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Colin MacLean     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Flipping tires can get expensive but by extending the life of the tires it ends up cheaper in the end. Flip the tires on the rims and put them on the car according to where the most tread is needed. So if it's a predominantly right-turn track make sure the left sides have most of the tread on the outside, opposite for the right side.

And be aware that for the first session the tires will be TERRIBLE but will get better once the wear evens out.

--------------------
Colin MacLean
Flyin' MacLean Motorsports

Gibscreen Verified Driver Series Champ

Region: NASA-SoCal
Car #: 23
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gibscreen   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Check Tire Rack's Recommended Installer page. We found a few places that were charging $10/tire and they honored the price for Toyos (I'm not sure they knew that Toyos were not available via Tire Rack).

You can usually talk them into not charging you the tire disposal fee too, or at least they'll roll the tire disposal fee into the $10 fee. Those tire disposal fees drive me crazy because I've seen a lot of evidence that the tire installers then sell the used tires to recycling companies that then make them into consumer products. So the tire installer is charging you to get paid!

--------------------
Rob Gibson
RJ Racing
2010 NASA Nationals TTE Champion
2008/2009 WERC Champion
2007 NASA SoCal SM Champion
rjracing.net
Weekend-Racer.com

davew Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: chicago
Car #: 72 and ?
Year : 90 and 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for davew   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Listen to Collin, everything he says is what I was going to say

Dave

--------------------
Advanced Autosports, The Midwests leader in Spec Miata Service, Parts and Rentals
608-313-1230
Authorised Spec Miata service center
www.advanced-autosports.com

davew Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: chicago
Car #: 72 and ?
Year : 90 and 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for davew   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I have not been paid for hauling used tires in 30 years. Even when I worked for Goodyear, we paid to have them hauled away.

Dave

--------------------
Advanced Autosports, The Midwests leader in Spec Miata Service, Parts and Rentals
608-313-1230
Authorised Spec Miata service center
www.advanced-autosports.com

Greg Bush Verified Driver
Thread Killer

Region: NW/OR
Car #: 04
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Greg Bush     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Here in Washington the recycle fee is $4 per tire. A trip to the dump is allowed to contain 4 unmounted tires, and minimum charge is $16.

Every time I need to get rid of a set I take them to the dump along with a quarter ton of other stuff and it only costs $16.

Or I sell them to Keith.....

I bought the tire machines because I have 2 cars, and at the time we were camber limited by the rules (the good old days) and flipping really helped. The machines have really paid for themselves.

The issue is the mounting machine is old school and tends to scratch wheels. I can mount for you guys but you need to scuff up the wheels first....

Greg Bush Verified Driver
Thread Killer

Region: NW/OR
Car #: 04
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Greg Bush     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Keith in WA:
I do know a guy with a tire ballancing machine in his garage, has a business and does vinyl so he could sticker up my car with whatever graphics he wants to promote the business. When you do the math though, great opportunity for me...not so much for him. [Razz]

(Edit: Quick parting thought though...it probably wouldn't be great for me either if as part of the deal he insisted on a big yellow vinyl decal reading "DICKHEAD DRIVER".)

How about I cover your car in "Google" stickers and mount 1 set for every dent you put in a certain P-car.....

JST #16 Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Detroit
Car #: GLD. # 16
Year : 1994
Icon 1 posted  Profile for JST #16     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

A group of us SM'ers pooled our money and bought some tire changing equipment to share (like Greg). It's more than paid for itself. At $80-$100 a pop to flip / balance tires it did not take too long to pay it off. Comes in handy for the street cars, too. I even fixed a tire on my brother-in-law's front end loader.

--------------------
Jeff Thompson
SM #16 - Detroit Region
Great Lake Division

motorrock

Region: DC Region
Icon 1 posted  Profile for motorrock     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

oops

[ 06-07-2009, 11:07 PM: Message edited by: motorrock ]

--------------------
philstireservice.com
philstireservice@aol.com

motorrock

Region: DC Region
Icon 1 posted  Profile for motorrock     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Mount the side of the tire with the most rubber to the side that wears the fastest. Don't worry about direction, unless it's wet.

Remember guys, take care of the trackside vendor whenever possible with regards to mounting your tires. In most cases that is who you bought your tires from and they don't make much on the tires. Secondly, they can easily save your ass in an emergency situation !

--------------------
philstireservice.com
philstireservice@aol.com

Pack Fodder

That was the real question...which side of the tire seems to wear faster with RA-1s.

The 8's seem to wear fastest on the outsides for everyone but it's a stiffer tire. Plus learning recently that my pressure gauge was reading 10# low the odd wear pattern I developed in my tires isn't a good indicator of much usefull other than 8's don't seem to like 42# cold so all my tire data is crap. [nope]

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Shop Teacher

Region: SF Nor Cal
Car #: #39
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Shop Teacher     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Take them to the High School Auto Shop and buy them a Pizza. We do tons of them every year.
AL

--------------------
Al Angulo
Auto Instructor
Ford Senior Master Tech
ASE Master Tech

Blake Thompson Verified Driver
Now The Fastest "Blake" in Spec Miata

Region: Central
Car #: 97
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Blake Thompson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by JST #16:
A group of us SM'ers pooled our money and bought some tire changing equipment to share (like Greg). It's more than paid for itself. At $80-$100 a pop to flip / balance tires it did not take too long to pay it off. Comes in handy for the street cars, too. I even fixed a tire on my brother-in-law's front end loader.

Ditto. BTDTRacing bought our own, it's..um... vintage equipment, but electro/pneumatic and does a damn fine job. Not as fancy as a recent model but a hell of a lot cheaper [Smile] Craigslist find!

--------------------
http://btdtracing.com - YOUR Miata Parts Pimp

Louis Interdonato

Region: wdc
Car #: 90
Year : 93
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Louis Interdonato     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

My tires wear on the outside. I would put the good side on the outside.

--------------------
WDCR SM # 90 http://www.rpperformanceracing.com/

CP Verified Driver

Region: NER
Car #: 7
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for CP   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Mine wear on the inside, unlike most of you. My RA1s have exhibited this wear pattern for the last 2 seasons (since I built the car). My SM race shop has aligned it at least 4 times and I always get more wear on the inside of my tires...

--------------------
-Cy
Supported by LTD Racing & Speed Shack - New England's Premier Auto Accessory Store
Rt1 AutoMile - Norwood, MA
http://www.speedshackonline.com

Mark I. Verified Driver

Region: Pacific Northwest
Car #: TBD/Under construction
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mark I.   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I just completed my Driving School at Pacific raceways yesterday and am looking for used but still useable RA-1's or 888's I'd be elated with either. My first novice race is September 26th so if anyone has a set or.. I'd be interested.
Let me know.
Thanks!!!

Pat Newton Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Enduro addict

Region: Northwest, Oregon
Car #: 79
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Pat Newton   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Mark, I'm so glad you're making it happen! I hoppe your driving school was good and your car ran well. All my spare RA1s are spoken for, but I will keep an eye out.

Pat

--------------------
Crew Chief, 3D Racing #64, aka Team Scrappy 2.0
3rd place E2, 2009 25 Hours of Thunderhill

Crew Chief, EGR/Miller Motorsports #64, aka Team Scrappy
E2 Champions, 2008 25 Hours of Thunderhill

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: