Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Competition Tires » R888- 6/32 no shave, 4/32, 3/32 shaves?

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: R888- 6/32 no shave, 4/32, 3/32 shaves?
Jay Lutz

Region: Indy
Car #: 33
Year : 1994
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jay Lutz     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Getting ready to purchase my first set of R888's and I was wondering if anyone has run them unshaved. Given the wear stories, I'm wondering if it's even worth it to shave them at all? Has anyone tried this and can offer advice. Also, I'm guessing 6/32 is slower...but how much?

Thanks, Jay

--------------------
"In our sport if you go out of bounds you're most likely not coming back" Michael Waltrip

Drago Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: mid south
Car #: 2
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Jay
Order a set of 4/32 and forget about it. You will be fine. Cycle th tires and let them sit if at all possible for best wear.
Jim

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com
2006-2007 Mid-West Division
07,09 June Sprints Champion

EAST STREET RACING

d mathias Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: OVR
Car #: 88
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for d mathias     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I ran "almost" full tread R888s at the Mid-Ohio National 2 weeks ago. Ran my slowest lap times in 5 years, and finished DFL. Felt like drifting every corner.

The history of the tires is they were purchased last year unshaved and used as rain tires for 3 rain races and 3-4 wet qualifiers. My wife used them at the Daytona National in May in dry conditions with no complaints, but then I didn't hear any complaints about the R888 at Daytona. Mid-Ohio is a different animal.

After Daytona the tire still measured 5/32s.

Also, I think I was over driving them the first 2/3s of the Mid-O race. Once I calm down a little they didn't slide 'as much'. Still, I ran 2 sec. a lap faster in the afternoon regional race just bolting on my 2 year old, who knows how many heat-cycle RA-1s.

Sooooo, for me at least, running full tread R888s in the dry was a miserable experience.

-Denny

Rich Verified Driver
Oh, that's where that is.

Region: STL
Car #: 35
Year : #795 SRF
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Slower by 1.5+ seconds compared to a "perfect" tire on a tight track. Probably half a second slower than new a 4/32" shave. Might be less on a longer more open track but I doubt it. I have 8 sessions on a couple of my 4/32" tires and they're still somewhat usable, including 3 races. The 3/32" sets are lasting abuot 5-6 sessions and I haven't tried the 2/32" yet. Very similar wear to what I got out of the RA-1 in terms of life. Unfortunately, the groove of doom is really bad on the fronts. I'm thinking these tires need to be rotated off the fronts every time they're used to help mitigate this. I'm seeing much more even wear on the rears.

--------------------
Rich Wiese

Spec Wrecker Ford

Mike888 Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: NJ
Car #: 12
Year : 1997
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mike888   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

What hot pressures are all 3 of you running if you don't mind me asking?

Icon 1 posted  Profile for d mathias     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I should have mentioned pressures. At Daytona I started Deb at 25 psi cold and measured 36 psi hot. I started at 25 psi cold at Mid-O too, but didn't bother to get hot readings.

Dusty Bottoms Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
99 all the way!

Region: Lone Star
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dusty Bottoms     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by d mathias:
I ran "almost" full tread R888s at the Mid-Ohio National 2 weeks ago. [snip]
Sooooo, for me at least, running full tread R888s in the dry was a miserable experience.

-Denny

Same story (2 sec slower) for me with new 3/32 RA1's compared to old RA1's at MO. [yep]

--------------------
"Your victory is tainted! Asterisk! Asterisk!!!"--Lisa Simpson

Rob Burgoon Verified Driver

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Rob Burgoon     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

My full treads turned to crap a while before they corded. I would probably get the shave.

--------------------
It really makes my week when nobody crashes into me.

Jay Lutz

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jay Lutz     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Also.....I have a old set of mounted Hoosiers in the trailer....is anyone aware of any venues these could be run in SCCA regionals? I'm pretty sure the answer is no but maybe someone has seen an open tire note in some supplemental regs in the Midwest. Thanks, Jay

--------------------
"In our sport if you go out of bounds you're most likely not coming back" Michael Waltrip

Rich Verified Driver

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Open tire in Regionals in MiDiv.

--------------------
Rich Wiese

Spec Wrecker Ford

NV Racer Verified Driver

Region: SFR
Car #: 70
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for NV Racer     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Definitely avoid full tread. Last race at Thunderhill I was a full 5 seconds slower over 20 heat cycle RA-1's. First hot lap was the faster than all downhill from there.

Dennis

Great Lakes Div. regionals are open tire too. (including the upcoming IT-SPECtacular).

volante Verified Driver

Region: Mid-Div
Car #: 43
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for volante     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Rich,open tires in midiv for regional spec miata??????not sure I heard that.

It is so nice that the tire issue for spec miata is so clear.
I really don't mind the r888's and really don't want to go into the whole Toyo tire debate but open tire would just clear things up instantly.

--------------------
volante

Rich Verified Driver

MAybe I'm confused by all the ITA miatas running around

--------------------
Rich Wiese

Spec Wrecker Ford

JRandall

Region: CenDiv
Car #: 89
Year : 97
Icon 1 posted  Profile for JRandall   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

In CenDiv the SMT class is open tires

--------------------
James Randall
SM 89

Jerry Cabe Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Cincy / Great Lakes Div
Car #: 10
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jerry Cabe   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Jay,

As Denny indicated, all the races in the GLD that are part of the Regional Championship Series are open tire for SM. Remaining this year are double regionals of OVR at Mid-Ohio (9/5-6), WOR at Bluegrass (9/12-13), and another OVR at Mid-Ohio (10/10-11). In addition to these there is the IT/SPEC*tacular at Mid-Ohio (8/1-2)that is open tire. You should also watch the supps of other restricted regionals within the division that may also be open tire.

Jerry

--------------------
Just driving SM until the F-1 car is ready.

B(Kuch) Kucera 45 Verified Driver
Veteran Member

Region: NeOh
Car #: 45
Icon 1 posted  Profile for B(Kuch) Kucera 45   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I got my set at 2/32 and ran 1 Nat.race weekend at Nelson Ledges and 1 Nat.weekend at Mid-O with the same set.

Nelson Ledges was ruff on the tires and had to rotate them after the 2 practice's(about 10-15 laps each).I wasn't able to heat cycle them at all because I only had 1 set of tires.When I went to Mid-O I looked at the tires before I started the weekend to see how much wear they would get.The tires looked almost the same at the end of the weekend as when I started.

I will say that they are slower then the RA-1.I would say at Nelsons and Mid-0 they are about 1 to 1.5 sec.slower.

The other thing is,I used to like to throw the car into a corner at the last min. and let the tires scrub off speed.The R888 don't like that at all and the car will slide everywere.You will have to change your driving habits to adjust to the tire.

--------------------
Bob
!KUCH!

"All my drinking buddies have a racing problem"

Jay Lutz

Good thing I didn't purchase a set quite yet. I can run regionals just as easily as nationals. FYI on change back to RA1's for nationals. Jay
http://www.scca.com/newsarticle.aspx?hub=1&news=3661

--------------------

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: