Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Competition Tires » Shaved Depths?

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Shaved Depths?
JaGsC5

Region: NE
Car #: 25
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for JaGsC5     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

After years of trackdays and time trials I finally decided to take it to the next level so I just bought my first Spec Miata. [Big Grin] I'm hoping to take the car to Watkins Glen this weekend for some testing and need to buy tires. I've read all the hype about the R888s this past year and from what I understand the RA1 is the tire for next year. I have not been able to get a real grasp on tire shaving from reading the forum pages and hope everyone could help me out a little. My thought is to take a rain set and run it regardless of weather. Smart? When it comes to competition what depth do most shave a tire to for dry and for wet? Is there a target hot pressure to shoot for with the RA1? Any other newbie stuff to pass on would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!! [thumbsup]

--------------------
Gary Shenk
JaG Motorsports #25

John@P1 Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Metro NY
Car #: 09
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for John@P1   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Gary,

Congrats on your purchase. You'll enjoy the Glen. It's my favorite track.

RA1's are the tire to get for SM here in the NE. I would recommend either a 4/32 or 3/32 shave depending on your skill level. If your learning the car and learning the track, stick with the 4/32 and get the benefit of some added life of the tire and sacrifice the couple of tenths a lap ;-).

John

--------------------
John C. Kuitwaard
Team Principal/Driver
www.P1-MotorSports.com
www.Owater.com
www.AlexsLemonade.org

JaGsC5

Icon 1 posted  Profile for JaGsC5     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Yeah, the Glen is my favorite too. It will be a different track with the Miata for sure. I think added tire life is what I'll be looking for, for my first set. The tenths of seconds will come later. I think I recall that full tread depth is 8/32. Do guys run full tread for rain or shave for rain too?

--------------------
Gary Shenk
JaG Motorsports #25

Dan Cooper Verified Driver

Region: San Francisco
Car #: 35
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dan Cooper     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

RA-1's are a full tread rain tire.

They are a great tire (at least compared to the R888, IMHO) haha

I like to run them cold at about 32psi so i come off track around 37-38psi. Obviously this will differ depending on weather conditions but that should get you started on the RA1 and then you can make adjustments from there.

Hope you have fun!

--------------------
Dan
--
Green Miata #35
Integriteam/Integratis

guest driver

Region: 011
Car #: 47
Year : 94
Icon 1 posted  Profile for guest driver     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Gary Shenk:
I think added tire life is what I'll be looking for, for my first set. The tenths of seconds will come later. I think I recall that full tread depth is 8/32. Do guys run full tread for rain or shave for rain too? [/QB]

Gary ; not sure you understood what John said above ... Do not go full tread, go with 4/32's shave on your dry set of tires. False sense of economy running full treads in the dry. Plus, the car will not turn in well or allow you to nail the gas at apex, lots of flex, wiggle and roll.
Full treads are for the rain only.

Jamie Tucker Series Champ

ARRC 2010 Champ

Region: CFR
Car #: 97
Year : 1990/99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jamie Tucker     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Gary,
You can shave them to 6/32s and you will get a lot more use out of the tires. That is what I use for people wanting to do track days or are new to Spec Miata. If you run them at full depth in the dry you may find that the tires start to heat up and chunk. That may not happen in the cooler air in the NE but it does happen. 6/32 will solve that issue!

--------------------
2010 ARRC Champion
2010 CFR Champion
2010 instigator of the year
2010/2011 Andrew Von C Wingman

JaGsC5

quote:
Originally posted by Jamie Tucker:
Gary,
You can shave them to 6/32s and you will get a lot more use out of the tires. That is what I use for people wanting to do track days or are new to Spec Miata. If you run them at full depth in the dry you may find that the tires start to heat up and chunk. That may not happen in the cooler air in the NE but it does happen. 6/32 will solve that issue!

I think that's what I'm looking for. Something more stable than full tread but still some tread for a little rain. It's pretty late in the year so probably won't race my first race until spring time. So it will be trackdays for practice. When spring comes around I'll get my wet set and my dry set. If I'm reading everything correctly; It would be safe to say that more than 4/32 for a dry set and no less than 5/32 for wet.

Thanks again. I'm used to running a full slick on my other car for dry and changing to a completely different tire for wet so this shaving thing is a little new.

--------------------
Gary Shenk
JaG Motorsports #25

motorrock

Region: DC Region
Icon 1 posted  Profile for motorrock     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

We will be at the Glen this weekend. I tell you everything you want to know about RA-1's, just ask.

--------------------
philstireservice.com
philstireservice@aol.com

Muda Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
ComingToAMirrorNearYou

Region: WDC
Car #: #23
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Muda     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

OK, will RA-1's shaved to 2/32nds make it through the 4 hour at WGI?

--------------------
Muda Motorsports
"We're all here 'cause we're not all there."

Mike L. Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ

Region: MoHud
Car #: 27
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mike L.     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The answer depends on whether you've already bought them, if yes, than "sure", if not, probably better to go w/ 4/32 or 3/32. [Smile]

Worst case, bring a couple of old spares, with two 5 minute mandatory pit stops, I can easily fuel and change your two left side tires! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Mike Lo
1990 SM 27

JaGsC5

quote:
Originally posted by motorrock:
We will be at the Glen this weekend. I tell you everything you want to know about RA-1's, just ask.

Thanks! I will stop by and say hello. I'll be talking to everyone who owns a Miata this weekend for sure. [thumbsup]

--------------------
Gary Shenk
JaG Motorsports #25

John@P1 Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Metro NY
Car #: 09
Icon 1 posted  Profile for John@P1   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Mike,

Your Hired!

John

--------------------
John C. Kuitwaard
Team Principal/Driver
www.P1-MotorSports.com
www.Owater.com
www.AlexsLemonade.org

Joe Specht

Region: BMR
Car #: 236
Year : 83
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Joe Specht   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
It would be safe to say that more than 4/32 for a dry set and no less than 5/32 for wet.

Thanks again. I'm used to running a full slick on my other car for dry and changing to a completely different tire for wet so this shaving thing is a little new. [/QB]

An RA1 at 4/32 is a slick with 4 grooves so a 6/32 is ok for an intermediate rain tire but not very good for standing water. If you use a 6/32 on a dry track the tread blocks will be rounded and not much help to channel water.
A 5/32 shave in cooler weather will give a little more life and then they'll be worn down when track temps are higher.
Just my 2 cents,
Joe
TreadZone

Vick Verified Driver
Do they sell spec training wheels?

Region: NYR
Car #: 12
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Vick     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Gary:

I'll be getting up to the Glen Saturday night for the NASA race (if that's the weekend you're talking about). Feel free to come say hi, White miata #12.

--------------------
http://www.volko.com

JaGsC5

quote:
Originally posted by Vick:
Gary:

I'll be getting up to the Glen Saturday night for the NASA race (if that's the weekend you're talking about). Feel free to come say hi, White miata #12.

Yeap, you have the correct weekend. I'll be instructing for the HPDE and just running track sessions to learn my car. My novice license expired so I might be up to the Glen the following weekend as well for the school so I can renew my license and be ready to race in the spring. Black Miata number 24

--------------------
Gary Shenk
JaG Motorsports #25

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: