Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Competition Tires » R888 Set Track Record/Actually Were Fast!

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: R888 Set Track Record/Actually Were Fast!
nealspens Verified Driver

Region: Rio Grande
Car #: 32
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for nealspens   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The Colorado region had its annual enduro/regional race this past weekend and most of us decided to burn off our R888s in preparation for next season. Funny thing happened. The Enduro winning team set a course record...on R888s. I happened to run my fastest lap ever at Pueblo during that race too, while finishing second. Now the fine print...IT WAS 23 DEGREES AT RACE TIME! We started the race on unshaved, two practice session R888, and after three hours of racing (a frozen mist descended on the track after the third hour and froze everyone's windshields. Cars were coming in every 3 to 4 laps to have their windshields scraped. [banghead] Stewards cancelled the final hour of racing) there was very little wear on these tires. I actually used the same set of tires in the Sunday regional which was declared a rain race due to the 1/2 of snow that covered the track. The snow melted, but the track was definitely wet in some fast corners and it was still freak'n cold (THANKS CORNER WORKERS!). Moral of the story: R888 are the ideal tire to have if you RACE IN FREEZING, WINTER CONDITIONS! [rolling on floor laughin]

Neal Frank
SM #32 Red
Sponsors: http://www.santafepens.com, Retro 1951, Pilot, Krone and Lamy Pen Companies

soupy

Region: Mohud
Car #: 98
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for soupy     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Remember, the motors like the cold air too.

--------------------
Charlie Campbell
Race Engineering
carbotech brakes

gt40jim

Region: Steel Cities
Icon 1 posted  Profile for gt40jim     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Steve G was on 888's at the Glen yesterday and ran the 2:17 on em.

nealspens Verified Driver

Region: Rio Grande
Car #: 32
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for nealspens   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Charlie,

I know we're pulling more HPs in the cold, it was just the amount of grip we experienced and the lack of tire wear that was surprising. No one who ran those tires before expected to run those types of consistent lap times. Normally the R888s would see a noticeable drop in lap times into a race, but I clocked my fastest lap on lap 57. Nor did I expect to have a usable set of tires after the enduro and Sunday event.

Neal

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: