Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Competition Tires » D-Force wheel review

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: D-Force wheel review
JaGsC5

Region: NE
Car #: 25
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for JaGsC5     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

From what I have read the D-force Spec Miata wheel was new last season. I searched the forum to see if I could find some reviews of this wheel and could not find anything. So, has anyone used this wheel and what do you think?

--------------------
Gary Shenk
JaG Motorsports #25

Alberto M Goncalves

Region: SFR
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Alberto M Goncalves     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

FWIW, plenty of reviews of the D-Force wheel on bimmerforums. They do lots of wheels for the BMW cars.

PedalFaster Verified Driver

Region: Northwest
Car #: 86
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for PedalFaster     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I bought a set last year. Two data points:

I weighed all of my wheels over the winter, and my D-Force wheels averaged 13.4 pounds each, while the rest of my wheels (all Kosei K-1s) averaged 14.2 pounds each. That's pretty compelling.

There's a wheel eating pothole at one of my local tracks. Driving into that pothole with the Koseis on pretty much guarantees that you'll bend a wheel. I drove into the pothole with the D-Forces on, and I bent a wheel. This highly unscientific test suggests that the D-Forces aren't vastly stronger than the Koseis, but obviously that isn't a definitive statement.

--------------------
Stephen Hui - '95 SM #86, Northwest / Oregon Region SCCA

Funracer Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Funracer     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I bought a set for my '94 late last year and used them for three days of heavy track time at the Roebling Double school in February. They still look new as far as I can tell. I really like the silver five spokes and the double fill valves on each wheel not only look cool but are practicle as well. They are on the car here:

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b341/yellowLT1/CIMG3705.jpg

Wish I had enough change for another set.
Rgds

JaGsC5

Region: NE
Car #: 25
Icon 1 posted  Profile for JaGsC5     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thanks for the imput guys.

--------------------
Gary Shenk
JaG Motorsports #25

motorrock

Region: DC Region
Icon 1 posted  Profile for motorrock     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by funracer:
I bought a set for my '94 late last year and used them for three days of heavy track time at the Roebling Double school in February. They still look new as far as I can tell. I really like the silver five spokes and the double fill valves on each wheel not only look cool but are practicle as well. They are on the car here:

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b341/yellowLT1/CIMG3705.jpg

Wish I had enough change for another set.
Rgds

Nice wheels.... [Smile]

--------------------
philstireservice.com
philstireservice@aol.com

SamBarnett Verified Driver
Veteran Member

Region: NASA MA / SCCA CCR
Car #: 6
Icon 1 posted  Profile for SamBarnett   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

If you don't have extended length wheel studs they are difficult to put the lug nuts on. In addition a 19mm socket BARELY fits in the hole so if you are going to use them you would be best to switch to 17mm lug nuts.

I prefer the Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2 over these wheels.

--------------------
Race Engineering - Championship Winning Engines
Carbotech Performance Brakes
CDOC

motorrock

Icon 1 posted  Profile for motorrock     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

use a 19mm 3/8 socket...fits like a thin wall..no problem then

--------------------
philstireservice.com
philstireservice@aol.com

Nigel Stu Verified Driver

Region: Detroit
Car #: 66
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Nigel Stu   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I purchased a set of these last year, and a set of the 5zigen wheels from Mazdaspeed (each set ran approximately 20 sessions). VERY similar look, and from what I can tell, no performance difference between the 2, and the D-force are considerably less expensive. Only 2 notable difference between the 2 wheels is the D-force wheels have the 2 air valves and do have the deep lug holes.

I just aligned/scaled my car last night in prep for the season and checked for runout. No bends in any of the wheels, both inside and outside lips. Some curbing, rumble strips and a few 2-wheel agricultural events took place last year....

I like these wheels over the TD 1.2/3 for a few reasons (my old race wheels and current rain wheels are TD 1.2):
-5 spoke design makes it easier to do quick checks on brakes and other bits with the wheel still on.
-Flat rim makes it easier to check toe settings
-lip on rim makes it easier to attach camber gauge - I put it on, let go and adjust camber until its right.

When I need new wheels, I'll buy D-force again.

--------------------
Ben Schaut
Schaut Speed Motorsports
GLDiv / WHRRI
#66 Blue/White/Black

motorrock

Nice review....

Now they come in 30mm offset and black

--------------------
philstireservice.com
philstireservice@aol.com

Alberto M Goncalves

Region: SFR
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Alberto M Goncalves     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

When will you have 30mm in silver?

motorrock

In the future...yes

--------------------
philstireservice.com
philstireservice@aol.com

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: