Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Competition Tires » Nitto NT555R tires

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Nitto NT555R tires
FroggyGremlin

Year : 1997
Icon 1 posted  Profile for FroggyGremlin     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I fell into a set of used Nitto NT555R tires I'd like to run on. I will be racing at MMP-Utah (Miller Motorsports Park). I realize these tires are engineered for drag racing and the the road track variant is the NT555RII.
How much trouble will I be getting myself into road racing on these drag race tires????

--------------------
FroggyGremlin

Joe Specht

Region: BMR
Car #: 236
Year : 83
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Joe Specht   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Your going to pull yourself out of the weeds often. A Drag Race tire is a very soft sidewall made to absorb torque on the launch. A Road Race tire is a very stiff sidewall to handle cornering. A completly different application.
Joe
TreadZone

wheel Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: kc
Car #: 20
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for wheel     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

You will be fine, as long as you go like hell down the straights, and then tip toe through the corners at about .05 g's.
wheel

guest driver

Region: 011
Car #: 47
Year : 94
Icon 1 posted  Profile for guest driver     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

froggy; you will be more than fine.
the 'slightly' softer sidewall and compond will be more than OK on a spec miata especially at MMP with that loong front straight to keep them cool.
Only heat concern is with your tread depth, from 4/32's on down ... hammer away and have fun.
Report back with results as i suspect you might be as fast as the Toyos

[Wink]

guest driver

Icon 1 posted  Profile for guest driver     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

ok, two PM's questioning the [Wink] above ...

that Nitto "drag race tire" is a DOT street legal tire, not a Mickey Thompson drag slick for crissakes ...
the sidewall and tread compound was designed to be a bit softer than the road race tire, to provide a slightly bigger contact patch, better grip, molded to 6/32's when new, must be shaved to 3/32 (half tread) to gain max grip and to keep the tire cool when road racing or tracking.

Will be fine and dandy on a light SM, actually may be your qualifying tire of choice on the tighter, shorter tracks where grip is king and rolling resistance (top end speed) is not a big issue ...
we're only talking a few tenths here, you'll be fine at MMP, doubt you'll much feel the softer sidewall, no worries, be happy.
[yep]

FroggyGremlin

Icon 1 posted  Profile for FroggyGremlin     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

thank you for the great information!!
unfotunately, the weather forecast for Saturday at MMP is rain at 10:00 a.m. and a high temperature of 45 degress; that's not so bad,, it will be followed by snow at 3:00 p.m. That's why they call it SnowX !
I might as well run my General Exclaim UHP's.

--------------------
FroggyGremlin

FroggyGremlin

Question about temperature - do soft compound tires ever get ripped apart (in chunks) if raced in the cold?

--------------------
FroggyGremlin

Gatoratty Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Central Florida
Car #: 3
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The Sebring national temp was 26 deg (wind chill in the teens) and raining with no tire failures.

--------------------
Paul McLester

guest driver

only a very tough Florida gator could handle that cold, the Ibis fly south [Smile]
that froggygremlin in the avatar standing in the snow looks mighty happy though ...
short answer is you want a softer tire in colder weather ... depending on your tread depth, let it rain, let it snow, you are good to go on those soft Nittos.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: