Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Competition Tires » What wheels to purchase???

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: What wheels to purchase???
JCawley

Region: Bucaneer
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for JCawley   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I have done a bunch of reading through a lot of posts about the different wheels that are used in SM. I have recently purchased a '95 SM that has the Kazera KZ-M wheels on it, but one is damaged. I need to replace this one wheel, but also need another full set of wheels along with a set for wheels for rain tires. Wheels seem to be a huge area of personal preference and opinion. The Team Dynamics wheels seemed to be on a lot of cars as well as the Kosei. I have read that the Konig wheels are not preferred for a high stress environment. I also see a lot of wheels listed in the 13lbs range, but many have actual weight that is more than stated. Any issue with a 12+lbs. wheel that would probably be closer to 13lbs and make up any short with added weight? Also, what is the predominant offset that is used? I am interested in the pros/cons of the wheels listed above as well as any other suggestions, and why. Or, are most of the major wheels listed above all about the same, and it's just what style I like best? Thanks in advance for everyone's input and opinion!

Sean Allen Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: SFR
Car #: 54!
Year : 90'
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Sean Allen   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Check out 949 Racing. They made the "ICM" wheels that were really popular for awhile. They are coming out with a new wheel that is $89, 15x7 +25mm and 13lbs.

If you need them now, order up a set of TD 1.2/3's. They look sweet [Smile]

Alberto M Goncalves

Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Alberto M Goncalves     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

How about the D Force wheel at Phil's?

http://philstireservice.com/pages/wheels/D-Force-15x7-wheel.htm

Johnny D Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Hot Member

Car #: 88 SM
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Johnny D     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

If you need rims and tires I'd look at a package.
If you get them one at a time and then shave, mount, valve stem, etc. It may add up to more. Shipping may kill you too, so maybe look local. Saferacer has tires and a $10 flat ship fee. 13lbs is the min. by the SM rules.
[twocents]
J~

Dennis Clark Verified Driver

Car #: 27
Year : 1994
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dennis Clark     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I got a set of TD ProRace 1.2 with shaved RA-1 last year from Joe Specht at Treadzone for $1,000 total (without shipping). Give Joe a call. White wheels on a dark blue car look great.

All my wheels are 25 mm offset and I have a set of 5 mm spacers to get out to 30 mm depending on RH, etc.

Dennis

--------------------
3D Racing
Team Scrappy, car # 27

Mike C Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
MegaModerator

Region: WDCR - 042
Car #: 75
Year : 93 & 95 & 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mike C   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Dennis if you are running 5mm spacers on 25mm rims you are illegal. You need to run 5mm spacers with 30mm wheels to get to 25mm.

--------------------
Mike Collins
MEATHEAD Racing
http://www.SHEETZ.com
The MEATHEAD Racing 2010 Calendar is up!!!!
www.MEATHEADRacing.com
SMAC Member
WDCR-SCCA SM Drivers Rep.
ALL OPINIONS ON RULES OR SPECIFICATIONS ARE JUST THAT, MY OPINIONS!

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Most people think maximum track width is the best but it may not be. Here's how it was explained to me...

The Miata is a street car so it's designed to understeer for safety with wider track in the rear. It's preferable to have the car ballanced or slightly oversteer for racing. The rules say that if you use spacers, they must be equal per axle, not on all 4 corners. With 35mm offset wheels it's easier to meet the minimum track width and use spacers to improve the ballance. (Unfortunately I learned this after already owning a few sets of wheels.)

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: