Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Competition Tires » Stupid question time...13mm spacers - where to buy?

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Stupid question time...13mm spacers - where to buy?
Brandon F. Verified Driver

Region: NNJR
Car #: 48
Year : 1996
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Brandon F.     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'm trying to get my +38 Kosei K-1s down to the max offset (+25) but I'll be damned if I can't seem to find 13MM spacers anywhere.

Found one place that wanted $100 for a set of Miata Cage's spacers!
[Eek!] [nope]
They may be nice but that's a bit rich for me...

I was hoping Dave w/Advanced would have them but he only goes to 8MM...

Saferacer has the same Miata Cage ones...

Guess I'm cheap but was hoping to get a set for less than $50 (considering a set of 8MM would be $40...)

So, am I searching for a unicorn (13MM spacer) or should I just cough up the dough?

TIA,
Brandon

spdmonkey Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: OVR
Car #: 08
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for spdmonkey     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

As I used t tell my male patients.... Cough.

You probably didn't want to know that.....

db

JimEli Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: NWR
Car #: 5
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for JimEli   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Try buying appropriate thickness aluminum stock, machining it down to produce a 13mm, light and true spacer. Repeat that 4 times. Doubt you can do it for less.

And I bet they still won't be as nice as the anodized miatacage ones. [Wink]

--------------------
UPR.com
Team LemonLappers

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Brandon F.     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Ah, so I need to conceptualize in my mind the thought of purchasing a metal lathe, buying the aluminum, turning it down into a nice spacer, and the time involved in doing that...gotcha...

*cough*
Oh look! A new set of MiataCage spacers from SafeRacer (with appropriate SM discount applied)!

Thanks guys

Holy crap-n-ola! They're $165 for the 13MM sized ones! $100 is for the 5MM ones...

[banghead]

Might as well make the order worth it then...
*hides the bill from the wife*

Steve D. Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Once you get past the gag reflex, the jelly ain't bad!

Region: Atlanta
Car #: 30
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Steve D.     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Only 65% more cost for 160% more thickness. Bargain! [Wink]

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'm sure they're not cheap to make. There's a minimum of $50-60 in raw metal alone.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Aye, aye, aye...off to the checkout credit card in hand...

Jay Lutz

Region: Indy
Car #: 33
Year : 1994
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jay Lutz     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Have you looked for 1/2" (12.7mm) thick with a 4x4" (101.6mm pattern from a US car source? Might be much cheaper and can easily be made to work. Just a thought. Jay

--------------------
"In our sport if you go out of bounds you're most likely not coming back" Michael Waltrip

Ron Alan Made Donation to Website

Region: SF
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Ron Alan     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

We sold our Kosei's for $350(in good shape) to a streeter and turned around and got the TD 1.3(25's) on sale for $99 each...maybe a better option in the long run for you??

--------------------
-RA

"Happy birthday, I didn't get you a present...Oh, mom got you one? Well, that's from me then too, unless it's shitty."
9:52 AM Sep 14th, 2009 via web
http://twitter.com/shitmydadsays

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Ended up accepting my fate and spent the $165 (minus SafeRacer SM discount) for these.

Tried searching for the 4x4 spacers as suggested but could never find definitively what I needed. Some sites would advertise the price for a pair for one brand, but another brand wouldn't list whether the price was for 2 or 1 spacer.

Now I'll have a set of TD PR 1.2s (+30) with 5mm spacers, Kosei K1 with the 13mm, and a set of Kosei rains which I can decide whether I need the extra 5 or 13mm worth of track in the wet.

I like those options but more importantly I have 3 sets of wheels...
*evil grin* [laughing]
Don't tell the wife! [fight]

Vick Verified Driver
Do they sell spec training wheels?

Region: NYR
Car #: 12
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Vick     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Brandon, did you roll your fenders yet?

When I went from 30's to 25's I got tire rub. I fixed it in the paddock with a hammer. Take a look at your fenders before you get on track. If it looks like they've never been touched, you'll need to take care if it.

Someone once explained how to do it with a Jack handle or a baseball bat. I'm not that skilled......

--------------------
http://www.volko.com

motorrock

Region: DC Region
Icon 1 posted  Profile for motorrock     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

So now you have, say 14 - 15lb wheels.....:/

--------------------
philstireservice.com
philstireservice@aol.com

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: