Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Competition Tires » Shaving Old Rains

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Shaving Old Rains
Mark de Regt Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: NWR/Oregon; ICSCC
Car #: 70
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mark de Regt   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

It became clear to me on a very wet track this weekend that my 2003 wets are worse than useless.

I'm going to get new ones, but I'm curious whether shaving these would give me usable practice tires.

B Wilson Verified Driver Series Champ
Gold Member

Region: Oregon
Car #: 68
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for B Wilson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Since only perfect practice makes perfect, no [Smile] Whenever possible, I like practicing on the tires that I will qualify on just in case I want to make any setup adjustments before the real thing. Test day is a different story. I like to use old crappy tires in the early parts of the year to get comfortable with drifting and knock the cobwebs out of my brain. But then put on good tires to scrub and or adjust setup.

-b

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ
2010 Monte Shelton Driver of the Year
2010 25 Hours of Thunderhill E3 and Under 2 liter Overall Champion
Oregon Region SM Class Advisor

Chris Windsor Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
windsorcustoms.com

Region: WDCR,
Car #: 38
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Chris Windsor   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

They would be good Enduro tires shave to 6/32 and go forever.

--------------------
2011 Season schedule coming soon
Support, sales, repair or rental
windsorcustoms.com

Danny Steyn Verified Driver

Region: SE
Car #: 39
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Danny Steyn   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Very few tire prep shops will shave the old rain tires - too many stones and other crap embedded in the tire and in the tread. Will ruin the blades on the shaving machine.

Keep your old rain tires for practicing in the rain. You will appreciate the lack of grip and the car control it forces you to acquire.

Keep your new rain tires for racing in the rain. You will appreciate the extra grip!!!

--------------------
Danny
http://www.dannysteyn.com
http://www.adeptstudios.com
OPM Autosports | Traqmate | Rossini Racing Engines
2010 June Sprints Champ, 2010 ARRC SMX Champ
2009 SARRC Champ, 2009 SEDiv ECR Champ, 2009 FES Champ
2008 SEDiv ECR Champ

Vick Verified Driver
Do they sell spec training wheels?

Region: NYR
Car #: 12
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Vick     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I took a set of old rains that had been left outside for a few winters and had them shaved to 3/32nds.

Even with that level of shave, the rubber compound underneath was still very hard. Not a lot of grip was left in them.

Lesson learned....not sure if shaving rains makes for good dry tires, but definitely don't leave your tires in the snow for a couple of seasons.

--------------------
http://www.volko.com

Pat Newton Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Enduro addict

Region: Northwest, Oregon
Car #: 79
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Pat Newton   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Mark, Ken has won races on old rains that he had shaved/buffed down. They should at least be good enough for practice, provided of course they've had some sort of protection from the weather.

My old 2004 rains that Schwabbies buffed down to 3/32nds felt pretty grippy this weekend, although I only had that 11 minutes of dry running...

--------------------
Crew Chief, 3D Racing #64, aka Team Scrappy 2.0
3rd place E2, 2009 25 Hours of Thunderhill

Crew Chief, EGR/Miller Motorsports #64, aka Team Scrappy
E2 Champions, 2008 25 Hours of Thunderhill

Drago Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: mid south
Car #: 2
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Some of the best tires I have run were shaved rains.. 05 shaved rains put Lamb on pole for 2009 Nasa champs by the way [Smile]

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com
2006-2007 Mid-West Division
07,09 June Sprints Champion

EAST STREET RACING

B Wilson Verified Driver Series Champ
Gold Member

Region: Oregon
Car #: 68
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for B Wilson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

If 4 year old shaved rains are good, 7 year old shaved rains must be better [Big Grin]

May depend on track surface. I've tried the 4 year old shaved rains, and they worked quite well on an abrasive track but were a second or more off on a smoother surface. That was three years ago and I think they are still be circulated through the ranks. Not saying that they never work, but certainly not fast always everywhere.

-b

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ
2010 Monte Shelton Driver of the Year
2010 25 Hours of Thunderhill E3 and Under 2 liter Overall Champion
Oregon Region SM Class Advisor

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: